Help with soffit bass trap design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with soffit bass trap design

I am in the process of framing 8" x 24" soffits in my basement media room. I will be installing recessed lights in the soffits and attaching crown molding on them through which I will route rope lighting. The soffits will be around both sides and the rear of the room, with a 32" split in the rear soffit for placement of the projector. They are 2x2 and 2x4 construction because I was originally going to sheetrock them. Attached pictures show the sides of the room. (I still need to attach the soffit that will be over the door.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Soffit Being Installed.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	201049 Click image for larger version

Name:	Soffit Being Installed 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	201057

After reading a lot on this forum, however, I'm wondering if it would be better if I covered the soffits with fabric and stuffed them with insulation around the IC recessed lights to create a bass trap(s).

So here are my questions:

Should I make all three soffits into base traps? Only the rear wall? Only the side walls?
Should I leave both the vertical face and bottom of the soffit "open" and covered with fabric? Just the bottom? Just the vertical face? How will the rope light look if the vertical face of the soffit is fabric?

If its best to leave both bottom and vertical side open, I am thinking about installing a 14" wide strip of MDF along the bottom/inside edge of the soffit on which I can mount my lights. It will extend inside the vertical face of the soffit about 2-3" to serve as a tray for the rope light and HDMI to the projector. (I've attached a rough sketch of what I'm thinking.) That should leave at least 14" of open space between the wall and the MDF along the bottom of the soffit. Will that work for a bass trap?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Soffit Design.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	201041

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Should I make all three soffits into base traps?
No reason not too. The more bass trapping you can get in corners the better.

Quote:
Should I leave both the vertical face and bottom of the soffit "open" and covered with fabric? Just the bottom? Just the vertical face? How will the rope light look if the vertical face of the soffit is fabric?
I would keep both sides open to let sound in.

One note:Most of the soffit trapping I have put into rooms are around 16"x16". Yours seem a lot thinner then 16". It will still help with them thinner, but wanted to point that out.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics

http://www.gikacoustics.com

post #3 of 4 Old 08-09-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Myfipie, thanks for your advice. Any suggestions on what fabric I should use to cover the soffits? What insulation should I use inside the soffit?

A couple of other questions about bass trapping. Should I make the riser a bass trap? I am extending the riser to the full width of the rear wall so it won't be too much just to include that in the design. If so, what insulation should I place there?

Also, I was thinking about putting in corner bass traps behind the false wall on which I will hang the screen. I know that you (and others) say that you can never have too much bass trapping, but should I hold off on either the riser or the corner bass traps until I see how the room sounds?

Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I did soffit bass trap with some manual framing and cutting of 705frk.

The riser bass trap is best left for design pros, as you could cause as many problems as you fix if you do it wrong. Just simply stuff it tight with pink stuff.

Corner bass trapping is best, and tri corner (wall/wall/ceiling) is extremely effective.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page