17'x30' Theater Room with a $15,000 budget. What Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
17'x30' Theater Room with a $15,000 budget. What Speakers?

Found your site during a google search and you guys seem to know a lot! I've been doing a bunch of site searches on here, but since each room is different I wanted to see if I was on the right path with my new theater build. The room is 17'x30' and so far I've raised the floor and wired some wall and stair lighting. I already have a Epson 5020 projector. Thinking about getting a Yamaha 2040 receiver.

I need help with the speaker selection and placement. Right now I can put speakers pretty much anywhere. Ceiling, walls, or under the seating? I've attached a few photos to help explain the layout. My thought was to place 4 Definitive Technology UIW RCS II's in the walls for the side surround and 2 more in the rear. Also, place a Definitive Technology Super Cube in the floor under the seats and one more near the front under the theater screen. Is there a better way to put speakers in this room?

I was also going to use the wall as the screen, but it seems like after doing research on the site that it would be better to use a screen. Does anyone make a 13' wide screen?

Thanks in advance for any help and tips. Really appreciate this site and everyone who takes their time to help. (BTW, the window will be blacked out too)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Room Plan jpeg.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	201249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1679.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	201257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1677.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	201265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1674.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	201273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1683.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	201281  

Last edited by C O D Y; 08-07-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Break down the budget further. Does the 15k include the 12 seats? The wiring, drywall, flooring, paint, wall coverings, lighting, etc?

You are certainly fine if you are, it will help enornously to figure out more of your plans though. Basement build, do you need sound isolation? Going with GG double drywall? Clips for ceiling? What are your goals?

Are you going DIY or hiring it out, or some of each?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Good questions. The space was going to be a game room, however the game room out grew the space and was moved. So I had this 17'x30' space that wasn't planned for anything and decided to do a theater room. It's on the 2nd floor of a shop and not much is set in stone yet. So right now I have complete access to the walls, floor and ceiling. Keeping the sound contained to the room is not an issue and my plan was to just place drywall over the studs (I'm guessing since you asked about GG and clips my drywall on the studs my idea might not be the best way?). I'm not even sure what GG or why I would double drywall? Sound Proof?

My goals, like many of us here, is to build a kick butt theater room so we can have a real theater experience at home.

The only things set in stone are the following (already purchased these items):

Projector = $2,400
Seating location and 12 theater seats = $5,100
TOTAL SPENT = $7,500

I have around $7,500 left to spend on the following items (next to them is what I think they will cost):

-Receiver (around $1,200)
-2 Subs (around $1,100)
-4 Surround Sound Speakers (around $2,000)
-2 Rear Speakers (around $1,000)
-Center Channel Speaker (around $900)
-2 Front Speakers (around $1,300)

Things I have not budgeted for but might need to find some money for is a screen in case the speakers need to go behind it. I was just going to finish the drywall out smooth and use the wall as the screen. I'm doing all the work myself and I have zero experience building a theater room. I've learned that everyone knows at least one thing I don't know. So if I look and listen I can learn from almost anyone.

I open to putting the speakers anywhere right now. Is it better to do in the ceiling, walls or both? Should I use a screen or will the drywall work if I finish it smooth?

Thanks Coolhand for the reply and your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Break down the budget further. Does the 15k include the 12 seats? The wiring, drywall, flooring, paint, wall coverings, lighting, etc?

You are certainly fine if you are, it will help enornously to figure out more of your plans though. Basement build, do you need sound isolation? Going with GG double drywall? Clips for ceiling? What are your goals?

Are you going DIY or hiring it out, or some of each?
post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I would add this note because I know neebies like myself can get over their heads and this type of project is not easy nor for everyone. However, I'm above average with construction and very confident working with my hands. This building is a large man cave my wife and I starting building 2 years ago. The county inspector said he's never seen one built as nice by a home owner before. I have done it all myself after work and on weekends. I'm hoping that knowing this will ease the minds of some of the experts on here (and there seems to be a lot of experts on here). Compared to me, everyone is an expert with Audio / Video! lol

Thanks for any help you can give me with this theater room. I know so very little about theater rooms! But part of the fun is learning and meeting people who have a passion for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-07-04_08-55-22_872.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	201521   Click image for larger version

Name:	135.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	201529   Click image for larger version

Name:	160.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	201537   Click image for larger version

Name:	630.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	201545   Click image for larger version

Name:	730.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	201553  

Name:	DSC_1594.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	201561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1640.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	201569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1577.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	201577  
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I would strongly advise to diy your subs, LCR and surrounds. Head over to the DIY speakers and sub thread. For that big of space, and your apptitide, you can't go wrong. They can help you. I would look at the Fusion 12's or 15's from DIY sound group. They have flatpack kits with crossover, woofer etc. You just assemble.

With the money you may save, though personally, I would double or triple your sub budget, I would definately go a real screen.

by the way, nice place!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Nice space inside and out. Love the 3 tiers you have for the seating.

Double drywall, green glue, clips and hat channel would be to contain sound from affecting other areas of your home while you have it cranked. The flip side is if you live in busy area that has a lot of road noise that may penetrate your space while you are enjoying it; using the mentioned soundproofing techniques would aid in preventing unwanted noise from coming in as well.

You may not have heard of it yet, but if I were in your shoes I would be looking at doing an Atmos setup, or at least plan for it in the near future.

http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/ Onkyo's take on it.

At the very least you should run wiring to the possible speaker locations in the ceiling so that if you get a Atmos receiver now or later on you can simply add some ceiling speakers to get the added sound effects.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

GoCaboNow, did you build your theater room yourself? I just looked at your photos and OMG! What a fantastic room.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I would strongly advise to diy your subs, LCR and surrounds. Head over to the DIY speakers and sub thread. For that big of space, and your apptitide, you can't go wrong. They can help you. I would look at the Fusion 12's or 15's from DIY sound group. They have flatpack kits with crossover, woofer etc. You just assemble.

With the money you may save, though personally, I would double or triple your sub budget, I would definately go a real screen.

by the way, nice place!
post #8 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea on the Atmos! thanks.

How do I find out if the Yamaha RX A2040 has Atmos? I read they 2014 model does, was there a 2013 model that doesn't have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
Nice space inside and out. Love the 3 tiers you have for the seating.

Double drywall, green glue, clips and hat channel would be to contain sound from affecting other areas of your home while you have it cranked. The flip side is if you live in busy area that has a lot of road noise that may penetrate your space while you are enjoying it; using the mentioned soundproofing techniques would aid in preventing unwanted noise from coming in as well.

You may not have heard of it yet, but if I were in your shoes I would be looking at doing an Atmos setup, or at least plan for it in the near future.

http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/ Onkyo's take on it.

At the very least you should run wiring to the possible speaker locations in the ceiling so that if you get a Atmos receiver now or later on you can simply add some ceiling speakers to get the added sound effects.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/au..._av_receivers/

The new 2040 will have Atmos via firmware update come September supposedly. Co-worker is planning on getting one of those and I was telling him about the possibility to do Atmos with it. His plan right now is to go from 7.1 to 9.1 with some height channels. According to this site you can do up to 11.2 setup with external amp. Although Atmos may list it as 7.1.2 or 7.1.4.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...abled/#!bydA0x
post #10 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by C O D Y View Post
GoCaboNow, did you build your theater room yourself? I just looked at your photos and OMG! What a fantastic room.

Thanks for the tips.
Thank you. Yes, I did myself as many have on this board. Mine is certainly in the cheaper end of things, but I like it just the same.

Definately prep for ATMOS. I would build some nice, big, surrounds and put in columns since you wave so much width to work with.

Get ready to go down the rabbit hole.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - 17'x30' by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page