What is Crushed Panne Black velvet, and would it be suitable for ceiling treatment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What is Crushed Panne Black velvet, and would it be suitable for ceiling treatment?

I'm beginning to darken up my theater room using some black velvet. For the wall behind my screen I used Royalty Black Velvet from Joann Fabric. I had some leftover after I used it for my screen. I have cut different sections of Polystyrene foam to size, wrapped them to my front wall, and used velcro to keep them positioned. It's worked great so far.

I now am on to the ceiling treatment, but what's difficult is the foam sheets are 4x8 and most black velvet is only 44" wide so it won't cover one entire sheet. I would have to buy multiple yards to cover the width, or I'd have to cut the sheets down to about 40" wide in order to staple on the back. Moreover, even if I used this same fabric, even with the Joann coupons, it could get expensive.

I then found this Crushed Panne Black Velvet for 6.99 a yard with free shipping and it's 60" wide. It would save me some money. I have about 7x12 feet of wall treatment, but may only do about 4 feet out from the screen.

So, would this type of fabric be ok to help absorb light? Is it in anyway comparable to the stuff I was using before? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
two things. you are going to all this work and using Polystyrene? why not turn those panels into acoustical treatments?

As for crushed velvet it looks all wrinkly, order a sample before you go all in.

I hope you are using the Joanne's coupons. Will save you 40%

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
two things. you are going to all this work and using Polystyrene? why not turn those panels into acoustical treatments?

As for crushed velvet it looks all wrinkly, order a sample before you go all in.

I hope you are using the Joanne's coupons. Will save you 40%
Well, I used Polystyrene due to it being very cheap. Maybe I should consider changing them out. I want something that won't break the bank though, so what do you feel would be a good option for me? Two identical sections on the side of my screen (about 22 inches x 6 feet), and then two narrow strips below and above the screen. Any particular products that you recommend?

Yeah, I noticed that most people suggest staying away from the Crushed Panne. I'd hate to regret that in the end. I do have the 50% off coupons for Joanns, so it would be $40 alone just to cover the sides of my screen. I really wish their velvet came in something wider than 44". It just misses the width where I could just use one long pience, so I need so I need to buy an additional two yards.

Thoughts?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page