Painting basement concrete floor ? What product is good ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Painting basement concrete floor ? What product is good ?

Hi all,

not exactly a theater question but I think this community can help me out. I'm working on the basement area that is unfinished, where our laundry, hot water heater, furnace and all that are. I want to paint the floor, it's been years since it was painted and it's chipping in some places.

What is a good product or type of paint to use ? EPOXY ? Or that nice speckled stuff for garage floors? I want something that will hold up, not normal paint that will chip or peel off.

Budget is $200 or less. Thanks !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Hi all,

not exactly a theater question but I think this community can help me out. I'm working on the basement area that is unfinished, where our laundry, hot water heater, furnace and all that are. I want to paint the floor, it's been years since it was painted and it's chipping in some places.

What is a good product or type of paint to use ? EPOXY ? Or that nice speckled stuff for garage floors? I want something that will hold up, not normal paint that will chip or peel off.

Budget is $200 or less. Thanks !
Based on my very limited research into this type of job, it's all in the prep. No matter what product you use, paint, vinyl tiles, ceramic tiles, etc..... you have to get the concrete very clean and very rough. I actually bought a diamond grinding wheel to prep two different areas in my basement that I planned to lay tile on. It worked pretty well on my harbor freight buffer/grinder.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
If your current paint is chipping or flaking off, you will have to remove it otherwise what ever covers it will come off along with the first coat. Prep is everything.
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I saw a kit at HD that came with a scouring pad and etcher... I might grab that. What should I use for prep ? Wirebrush ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 91
You ever thought about staining it? Still requires the same prep but the finished product can look amazing and you could do patterns. We thought about doing a screened in porch with a blah concrete floor but never got around to it, decided on finish, etc.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 526
We painted our basement (bare walls and floor) with UGL DryLok ( http://www.drylok.com/formulas/latex...-waterproofer/ ). We use our basement for laundry and the grandkids play down there. In the 6 years since none has peeled.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
You ever thought about staining it? Still requires the same prep but the finished product can look amazing and you could do patterns. We thought about doing a screened in porch with a blah concrete floor but never got around to it, decided on finish, etc.
It's already been painted once a long time ago.

-

post #8 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
It's already been painted once a long time ago.
It doesn't matter, just like with wood you strip everything off anyway. Like we've been saying, prep is key. The first step after removing any old paint the surface is etched to prepare for the staining. You can do a more solid finish or a lighter stain that will bring out the texture of the concrete. Like I've said, I've seen some very nice results both with and without a design. I've seen staining that looked like square tiles and pool decks where the coping around the pool was actually painted on. When we redo our pool deck we are considering a similar look.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

post #10 of 10 Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ideally you'd blast off the old product on the floor. Then etch it with muriatic acid. You can then expoxy it (expensive) or just paint it.

We had a dog run and patio that the landscaper installed. He totally fubared the color. It came out fluorescent green!

He kept telling me he'd get this or that product to recolor it but it was expensive.

So I went down to Home Depot and got some of their Behr Concrete paint in a gray color. It covered it all right up and here we are 10 years later and it still looks new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page