Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Feedback on our home theater design in new construction

Hello all,
As someone new to HT rooms, this site has been a tremendous resource. I have spent some time reading these forums, but don't have a good feel for how to design a home theater. I have included our first draft for our home theater. The back of the first row of seats is 11' from the screen, and the distance from the back of the first row to the back of the second row is 9', leaving 3' from the back of the second row to the back of the room. I will install a 7.1 system and projector. Still have questions about where to place A/V equipment and questions about how to do the false wall for the screen with the center and front speakers behind the false wall. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and suggestions! Thanks.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	204305  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice drawing - very detailed. Your room is almost the same as mine (25 x 15') so I can comment.

For your second row you should only need about 6.5 ft clearance for the second row if you are using recliners. (I hope this is correct becuz that's what I got!) That can open up some room in the back if you want to add a bar for some extra seating. Watch the steps on the front row as well - I made mine too wide and can only fit 3 seats between them - which is fine for me.

False "wall" up front is pretty easy to do - and this is coming from a noob. I used the goal post supports for the screen and will add surrounding panels to create the "wall".

I out my equipment in the back corner but I didn't have a lot of options. If you can place it outside the room I think that would be good but others can comment on that. It seems that equipment has been placed in so many spots even as apart of the screen wall. There is a Show Me you Rack thread you should check out.

Good luck and welcome to the madness!

Jeff
post #3 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Since you've got the space available, I would recommend increasing the width to 16-17' wide. 15' will be tight assuming four seats across. Mine is 16' and I wish I had another foot or two of width for the aisles...

As other Jeff said, you've got plenty of depth to allow for a bar table behind the second row. I have mine up on second riser, so that I was able to use regular chairs instead of bar stools.

Plan to have the steps up to the 2nd row riser outside the room so you don't interfere with risers or chairs.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I think the general wisdom around here is to plan for 7' for the second row.

Edit: looks like 6.5' is the recommendation after all. I thought I remembered a post recommending 6.5' minimum and 7' ideal. Oh well

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun

Last edited by J_P_A; 08-09-2014 at 03:43 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 686
you didn't include the details of how you will step up to riser height, as an alternative, flip the room 180 degrees and enter between the stage and the first row.

Have you had discussions with your builder about where the duct work will go? or is it already in place and you didn't show it on the floor plan. Likewise support poles.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 AM

Liked: 11
The location you identified for the A/V equipment looks okay, suggest having as a separate room, with easy access to rear equipment panels, and with proper room ventilation. Will the projector be mounted from the ceiling or not? At some point think about acoustics and soundproofing if you already haven’t.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback! Great idea about a table/bar at the back of the room. I will incorporate into plans. Jeff, I don't fully understand your comment on the goal post supports, but I will search this forum for more information on the false wall. I failed to consider the height of the riser when entering the room - as bigmouthindc suggested, I will flip the room so the screen is on the opposite wall or place steps outside the HT. We just got plans back from the architect. She showed a beam in the south wall of the HT. I will ask about duct work.

What's the best way to soundproof the HT?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Check out this thread that discusses the goal post style screen wall

Minimalist Approach to Screen Wall
post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 04:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
What's the best way to soundproof the HT?
Mass, Isolation, Dampening and Absorption

Insulate the walls and ceiling with fiberglass insulation
Hang two layers of heavy 5/8 drywall on a isolation spring system of whisper clips (or equiv) and 25 ga furring channel (hat channel). Use Green Glue dampening between layers. caulk all corner seams with acoustical caulk after each layer. Overlap all seams layer to layer.
Every penetration in the drywall shell should have either a backer box or putty pad treatment (lights. outlets. switches etc.)
Use sound attenuating duct work not rigid metal ducts for the HVAC supplies and returns (make sure you have both)
Install a heavy door and add door seals making it air-tight.
Add rubber pad and a float a sub-floor over the concrete
Build a stage and fill it with sand for your front speakers and subwoofers leave a 1/4 gap between the stage framing and the drywall.
Be sure they drywall the room before building the stage and riser

there are other details but those are the main points.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just so you know unless you are extremely lucky you will never get your home builder to do it right, Many HT enthusiasts when building a new home will ask for the theater to be left unfinished so they can manage that aspect themselves.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2014, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post
Hello all,
As someone new to HT rooms, this site has been a tremendous resource. I have spent some time reading these forums, but don't have a good feel for how to design a home theater. I have included our first draft for our home theater. The back of the first row of seats is 11' from the screen, and the distance from the back of the first row to the back of the second row is 9', leaving 3' from the back of the second row to the back of the room. I will install a 7.1 system and projector. Still have questions about where to place A/V equipment and questions about how to do the false wall for the screen with the center and front speakers behind the false wall. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and suggestions! Thanks.

Kevin
Hi Hawkdog,

In the following video I've offered my thoughts on your space and layout.

Thanks
Dennis

Chief Acoustic Engineer at Acousticfields.com. Listen to your music...without hearing your room!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page