Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help to decide preformed it s too late

Hi all,

Thank you for reading this thread and I hope to receive some unbiased opinions here.
I am currently building a new house where we will have a dedicated ht room but with some conditions attached by the wife. Everything needs to be concealed, less a sub or 2 and a few acoustic treatment.
As such I have a few option but really can t decide on how to proceed.
I already have a few speakers laying around the house such as a set of focal chorus 706v and chorus 800cc plus focal 700 sub, focal iw706 (x2),speakercraft aim8 three (x2) and speakercraft aim3 wide surround. They are not all installed in the same room at present, but just laying around waiting to be installed.
From what I read nothing beats having 3 identical front speakers, ideally placed being a acoustic transparent screen but this may increase the price of the room dramatically.
My options are as followed:

- buy a AT screen from seymour and fit the current focal 706 and 800cc behind, but it means either building a false wall to accommodate the speakers or cut the wall open the size of the speakers in order to fit them thru, thus being flushed with the wall and screen ( rear of speakers would protrude in the walk in behind the ht room). Also means that I will either loose 275mm either in the ht room if I build a false wall or 200 in the walk in behind the ht room which is a storage room.
Though they are all focal speakers and chorus range, there s a difference between the 700 and 800 range thus not all three would be identical. How much difference is hard to tell.

- buy a AT screen and a third focal iw706 as to have all three front speakers identical, then use the speakercraft aim8 for surround and aim3 wide for rears....

- buy a third aim8 three and place them in the ceiling with a non AT screen, use the aim3 for surround and focal iw7o6 for rears...

It s really hard to build something decent on a budget but due to the lengthy delays and court case in order to have the house signed up and approved, my ht and hifi budget of $80,000 has now shrunk considerably and forced to used what I have and expand juts a little.
Like I said, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you in advance for reading and may be replying.
Sincerely yours
Jean m saint Pierre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 742
building a fabric covered acoustically transparent screen wall is a less than $500 project. Hanging an AT screen consisting of a DIY frame and material purchased from either Seymour or Falcon is also a $500 project.

The result is totally hidden speakers, what you give up is the amount of space behind the screen wall that you need to fit your speakers of choice.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Why not tap the used market for a set of matching 706v? And build your own XD AT screen? Then sell the 800cc.

Or simply build the room and slap together a cheap MDF center stand for the 800cc. (Really easy to do a speaker upgrade at
a later date, with an AT screen and AT space.)

Why can't the theater eat up some of the storage room and simply less of the theater depth?

Can you give use a diagram of the room and surrounding rooms? And details such as height and obstructions. This would narrow
down advice and make sure it is less general and more specific.

The iw706 would get used for the rear surrounds, and then I would sell the AIM speakers and again tap into the used market
for another set of matching iw706.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Wasn't sure I d get very far as I really don t know what happened with the title. Definitely not what I was trying to explain....

I have been trying to look out on the second hand market but proving a lot more difficult than I thought due to being in Australia, the market is not as big here and private sellers overseas, are a bit reluctant to sell offshore ( don t blame them..)

The room dimensions and walls are set and can not be moved due to being a pile home, most of the walls are load bearing walls. The wall separating the storage from the theatre in only 90mm thick, though I can t move it I can may be increase it s depth as to allow inwalls.
I ll try to post a set of the lower plans...and it s on the left side called media..
I also thought about what you said big, but i think I d prefer in walls as really not keen to loose 250mm of the theatre room.thanks for the advice anyway.

I have been in contact with focal Australia and though there are no more of the older iw706, the new ones are almost identical and should not affect things at all.
May go down this route.
If I decide to have 3 inwalls, and use the speakercraft for surround and rears, does the front wall need to be totally covered in acoustic absorbing foam or concentrate on bass traps in All 3 corners ( doorway In The 4th).
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	212946  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

so you've got a 12'3" x 19' ft room to play with, door in one side corner and another door along one of the short walls,

You have LOTS of windows and even sliders I think. Is the boss going to let you cover over the windows and what wall were you planing for the screen wall? What were your seating plans?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
so you've got a 12'3" x 19' ft room to play with, door in one side corner and another door along one of the short walls,

You have LOTS of windows and even sliders I think. Is the boss going to let you cover over the windows and what wall were you planing for the screen wall? What were your seating plans?
Hi big,

Indeed there s plenty of glass in that room. The long sliding/stacker doors will be covered with thick acoustic curtains when in use.
The boss also kind of allowed me to have panels BUT must not be dull and boring.
As such I have been looking for some nice panels and my dealer came up with vicoustics. They look great,,have different range and looks.
I will have the wood bass trap in 3 corners, absorbers on the back wall and first reflection point in the left hand side, wood block diffusers on the ceiling.
The screen will be a 120inch 2.35 format ( wall dividing the media and storage room) acoustically transparent. I ve decided on going 3 x focal iw706. The front wall, will be covered in the lower range of absorbers from vicoustics as all hidden behind the screen. Basically the screen will cover the whole width of the wall, from the adjacent wall to the door leading into the storage.
Seating will be a chaise sofa( chaise pushed hard against the left hand side, not the best spot to seat but it s not my seat anyway. I will be right in the middle of the screen ).
The sofa will be raised a little on a platform, and I will have 3 or 4 bean bags on the floor for kids....
Av wise, all gear for both the family and media room will be stored in the storage room in a av cabinet, all controlled by 2 control4 system..
The media room, will have a yamaha rxa2020 plus a wyred for sound mc3 for front duties and let the receiver handle the rears and surrounds, until more processor come on the market.
I just wished there was a processor that focused on sound and picture without any bells and whistle at a reasonable price...
Projector wise, m not sure yet, either the panasonic 8000 ( as it s got the lens memory) or may be a benq w7500 witha lumagen mini as to have 2.35 on the fly.

Hope this helps understand what my needs are.
Any advice you provide will be greatlY appreciated.
Regards
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm not a fan off off center screens, but if that is what you have to do.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You can build a 2.5m spandex screen for less than $150. You may trade away a small amount of gain, but the results can still be pretty great! Check out the DIY Screen forum.

Mike
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - W7500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page