Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sand filling stages in dedicated rooms

Hi All,

Quick question. What really happens if I don't fill my stage with sand? I didn't plan for it in my budget or my time and am thinking about taking the short cut.

Note this is a full theater build but I am not worried about it being a sound proof fortress. It will be nice but not high end like many of yours

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do apologize if this is too basic a question but would appreciate any thoughts
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Just build it so it doesn't resonate like a drum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I stuffed it tight with pink fiberglass
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelter View Post
Note this is a full theater build but I am not worried about it being a sound proof fortress.

Life's circumstances change, there may come a time when you regret this decision.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The sand is more of a pain to do more than a cost item. Per sq ft I can't imagine it not being cheaper or a wash with regard to insulation.

I did alot of my stage in sand but I was lazy and did not do all of it with sand. I did every spot a speaker would be, a sub would be and I put sand under my cabinet area on my stage and especially under the support posts for the screen. About 1/2 of the stage is sand and 1/2 insulation. I filled the bed of a HD pickup with about 2000 lbs and that was enough for me. I probably could have done a second load, but I was too tired at the end of the first one to do it again

To Big's point. You can change a projector, speakers, etc easily enough. Once you get past the sound envelope there is no going back to there unless you rip everything out.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page