DIY Star Fiber Optic Ceiling vs. Jeff's NightSkyMurals.com - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-15-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
DIY Star Fiber Optic Ceiling vs. Jeff's NightSkyMurals.com

I have a 26d x 22w x 8h size room and I am up in the air over whether or not I should do a DIY Star Fiber Optics Ceiling with GOM or Black Velvet as the "black around the stars" or if I should hire Jeff to do a NightSkyMurals.com and buy a bunch of Black Lights to go in my Crown Molding Tray ceiling home theater. Any idea was the costs differences are and what is a better investment? I have researched here at AVSforum how to do the DIY star fiber optics and I made a email out to Jeff to see what he chargers for NightSkyMurals.com services.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi AXLCMT... I just saw your post and thought I'd give you at least a range of cost for me to paint it. I'll let people I've painted for talk about what they think.

If you've read through the first page of the thread I started, you will have an idea of some of the pro's and con's of both methods... so I won't go there. Also, I have done a couple of murals for people who have found 365nm UV strip lights, which will be much easier than tube black lights to install in crown moulding... so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

OK, let me just say that you have a pretty good size ceiling that you want painted, so the price range that I will post will be more than most of the ceilings I do. And, I am posting a range, because I have been asked not to bid murals on here, but I would hope this would be considered general information. For a ceiling of that size... you would be looking at between $5500 - $6800 for a painted mural. It would include probably 8000 to 10,000 stars, the Milky Way, and then shooting star(s) and crescent moon, if you wanted. You would also have a more realistic experience, but then again there are con's to a painted ceiling versus fiber optics.

I hope that helps, at least for the cost. I have not idea of the time needed to do a mural of that size with fiber optics, or how many strands you'd feel like drilling for and then installing. A mural of that size would take me between 10 and 15 hours probably... along with a bottle of Ibuprofen and a few days of recovery in a hot tub and/or traction. :-)

Hopefully others can fill you in on their experiences in both a painted mural and a fiber optic mural.

Good luck,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page