7.1 or 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
7.1 or 5.1

Please see the attached room layout which is roughly to scale/proportion. The room is roughly 11' wide by 20' long.

I am debating whether I should go 7.1 to benefit the primary seating position (the front row). It would seem that the rear two speakers would not benefit the rear row since there will be very little room between the seat and the rear wall.

Would optimizing for the front row with 7.1 ruin the listening experience for those in the rear row when there's a full house?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room_layout.png
Views:	36
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	215009  

Last edited by ILLCOMM; 08-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Place the rear speakers a foot or so above the head of the back row viewers so you don't blast them, but your room certainly can use the 7.1 setup, especially as the front row is your primary viewing location.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 08-17-2014, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree with jautor. 7.1 seems perfectly doable. As long as the speakers are positioned above ear level - as recommended - it should work. The back row won't get perfect audio, but the alternative (just the 5.1) isn't much better.

I wouldn't place the back row so near the back wall, though. 20' is quite reasonable, you can easily move those seats 1 or 2 feet forward, and everyone can have great audio, regardless of where they seat.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLCOMM View Post
Would optimizing for the front row with 7.1 ruin the listening experience for those in the rear row when there's a full house?
You have a choice between one row optimized + one row compromised vs both rows compromised. I would pick the former (since the back row is going to be compromised anyway, might as well optimize the front row).

Your room length and main listening position (away from the back wall) make you an ideal candidate for a 7.1 layout. Listeners in the main row should end up with excellent side-vs-rear separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement