Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #1 of 44 Unread 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fox Creek Cinema - New home, Control4 and dedicated theater

Well here we go again! I've been away from the forum for a couple of years since completing my last theater. A few of you may have seen my threads?

My "post build" thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1409425-small-diy-dedicated-theatre-post-build-retrospective.html

My build thread: Small DIY dedicated theatre

My family and I have enjoyed our theater immensely since it's completion. We have watched countless hours of movies all snuggled up in those three plush Pallisers as well as a few in the less then plush theater seats in the front row (giving up my Pallisers for our guests!).

Our family has since grown. Felix was born in April of 2013 and is just starting to walk. My two eldest boys are 10 and 9 and there is a 4th little package in my beautiful wife's belly!! So unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view ) we have a need for a bigger house!! Our current house has sold (including all theater equipment!!) and we are moving out a the end of August. Construction on our new home should hopefully begin in early September. We hope to be in it by Christmas!

This will be our last house. The next time we move will be because all our kids are gone and we can't climb the stairs anymore! So needless to say, we want to do it right. And that includes a dedicated theater!

I've attached our plans. As you will see the theater will be situated in the "bonus area" above the garage. I have a 25'x14' space with an 8ish' ceiling. I will have a false wall for the AT screen which will house the LCR and subs. I would like 2 rows of seating as well as a 3rd row with bar and stools. The equipment rack will be in the small alcove on the side of the room. There will be two points of entry. The first through a back staircase and the second through the master bedroom.

The theater will be DIY. I have requested that the builder leave the bonus room completely unfinished. I have requested that he run HVAC exhaust and return in the room as well as extra power from the basement panel for equipment and lights (how much?).

Nearly all the theaters on this forum are basement constructions. So the procedure for sound isolation, dampening and treatement are fairly well documented. One could easily follow along on one of Big's incredible builds and get pretty good results. I would like to hear from those who have done this over a garage in a similar set up that I will be having. What issues did you run into? What should I plan? What should I tell my builder?

I also plan on detailing the rest of my house construction and A/V instalation including home automation. I plan on having an A/V rack in the basement that will be the central hub for the entire house (except of course the theater rack). I will be looking for input on this too. I have meetings with the builder and A/V guy in a week or so.

Here are some of the theaters on this forum that I will be using as inspiration. Some of these are truly spectacular! The colors I'm leaning towards are red carpet, black/grey walls/colums, blue lights.

Love the rock wall at the rear of CHILINVLN's room.

CHILINVLN's theater: SCC Home Theatre Project/Photos (Complete)

Love the panels on Peter M's walls and doors

Peter M's theater: Another DownUnder theatre

This is the feeling and colors I want. Spectacular room built by Big and vikgrao

vikgrao's theater: Home Theater of the Month: Vikgrao's Fortress of Solitude

Really liking deewan's rock wall and screen with the LED back light!

deewan's theater: Old Woods Theater 2.0

Here are some pics of our lot. My boys wrestling in the soon to be destroyed grass!

And the theater's name sake that will be flowing at the back of the house.

Last edited by Mat1220; 11-06-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Unread 08-16-2014, 06:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat1220 View Post
Construction on our new home should hopefully begin in early September. We hope to be in it by Christmas!
Thanks for the endorsement of my work. This looks like an interesting project, I'm stunned by your schedule.
post #3 of 44 Unread 08-16-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
And I guess thanks for the indirect endorsement of our work since at least two of those theaters were designed by Erskine Group that you are using for inspiration. . As Big said, looks like an interesting project!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #4 of 44 Unread 08-16-2014, 09:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I would move the second door from the bedroom to the theater closer to the theater so you can have step(s) up to riser height outside the room.
post #5 of 44 Unread 08-17-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

I NEED to believe that we will be in by Christmas! The alternative is spending the holidays in a duplex!

I was thinking about Onevoice2's theater (Summer Fun) where you enter at floor height and step up to the riser along it's length. But I see what you are saying about moving the door flush with the back wall. It may be neat to enter at riser height and have the theater drop at the front row.

S-M-B, you're group's designs are likely the inspiration for a GREAT majority of the theaters built by members of this site! I have been considering reaching out to you for a design. Could you PM me with details on how I would go about this? Price quotes for different services? etc.?

Matt
post #6 of 44 Unread 08-17-2014, 10:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

At the Summer Fun we were constrained overhead with a big duct where the door is and there really wasn't room outside for a step up as it was in a walkway to other rooms in the basement. With an in-swing door the step up can be modest in size, with an out-swing it has to be bigger than the arc of the door.

there is info for Shawn linked in his signature line:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49S...1MeER4VVE/edit
post #7 of 44 Unread 08-17-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Probably too late to fix - but your 2nd floor plan will have all your kids running through the master suite to and from the theater room... The 'correct' pathway downstairs and through the house to get back up there will be a challenge to enforce. I might go as far as to recommend filling in the door leading from the bonus room into the master closet. Or at least, frame the door but fill it - cut the door out later if you really need it for yourselves...

My 'fix' for the layout would be to swap sides - put the master on the right half of the level and the three bedrooms on the right with a hallway to the bonus room. But again, probably too late to change that.

And really - best of luck on a 4-month build schedule - don't see how that's going to happen, especially with another holiday week (Thanksgiving) right around the critical time.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 44 Unread 08-18-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well we just got out of our meeting with the builder. He made a face when we asked if we might get into the house before Christmas. I suppose if all the planets and stars align and the wind stays at our backs it "may" happen, but we are most likely looking at mid to late January. But that's ok!

So our builder is good with me starting work on the theater after framing is done... this is really great as I will have direct access to the carpenters, electrician and drywallers. I was worried that I would have to wait until the house was complete but this makes things much easier... and cheaper!!

Now I need to plan this out... my big questing (pun intended) is do I need to worry as much about sound isolation given that only the back wall is directly connected to the rest of the house. Will I benefit greatly from DD (or triple! ) /GG on the exterior walls? My feeling is no... that I could DD/GG and decouple the back wall and do the other 4 surfaces with no special technique.

I've taken BIG's advise and moved the door flush with the back wall. I will step up to the riser in the hall way and enter at riser height.

Ok... Now we are off to continue watching the extended ver of Return of the King. Most likely the last movie we will ever watch in our current theater
post #9 of 44 Unread 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well things are slowly moving along. I should be getting my "site plan" today or tomorrow. This will show where my house will be situated on the lot. All very exciting stuff!

Anyway, I've attached a "side view" of the house that gives a good idea of the room dimensions. Ignore the window, it won't be there. Now I have a question. Does anyone have an opinion on mounting my side surrounds on the ceiling slops?

post #10 of 44 Unread 09-30-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's been over a month and I have some progress to report. Construction has started! Here are a few pics.

The footing

The foundation

Ready for wood! (this was taken today!)
post #11 of 44 Unread 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

So I've sketched out my theater plan. I would like to know what you all think of the placements of speakers, projector, riser lights, etc. Everything is to scale and I think it's good.. but I may need to tweak a thing or two. Please take note that this room is above a three car garage. The floor plan is in an earlier post.

I've spent some time in the DIY speaker area and have decided to go this route for the entire 7.2 system. I had planned to build two mini-marty's with some SI 18 woofers along with 3 1099s surrounded by 4 Volt 8s or 10s. My plan has been thwarted by the end of the 1099 So I'm still considering what to build for this. I will be Doing an Atmos 7.2.4 system. No idea what to use for in ceiling yet! Anyway, have a peak at what I have sketched out!

post #12 of 44 Unread 09-30-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good luck!!! Subscribed!

Edit: just saw your HT layout. Looks perfectly laid out. Treatments?

Last edited by acex008; 09-30-2014 at 07:12 PM.
post #13 of 44 Unread 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe this should be in the home A/V distribution and WHA area but I want to keep everything together in this thread.

So I have two installers that are preparing bids/proposals for my audio distribution and home automation. The first uses a combination of Insteon, Alarm.com and Russound for his whole house solution. The second is all Control4. I am leaning towards the C4 solution. I like the DIY aspect of Insteon and Russound. But I don't like the Alarm.com way of controlling your house. I love the "one app, one GUI" style of C4. What are your thoughts on this? I'm pretty new to all this and am trying to play catch-up but there is so much info out there and conflicting points of view!
post #14 of 44 Unread 09-30-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acex008 View Post
Good luck!!! Subscribed!

Edit: just saw your HT layout. Looks perfectly laid out. Treatments?
Thanks! Hmmmm... treatments... Not there yet! ha! Definitely going to have something but I just don't have the processing power available in my brain right now to think about it! My last theater was overly "treated" I think. There was barely any hard surfaces in the room and made for a "dead" room. I want a livelier room this time! Here are some picks of my old theater. The ceiling was treated, the walls as well as the area behind the screen and LCR.

post #15 of 44 Unread 10-04-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we've decided to go with a full Control4 system for distributed zone audio, video, HVAC, lighting and security. Quote for A/V prewire and Control4 I will be doing all of the prewire myself. I had originally planned on having a "house rack" in the "broom closet" area of the main floor and a "theater rack" in the theater in the area indicated on my sketch. Then I thought wouldn't it be awesome to have both racks together? So I then proposed to put two racks in the 42" area in the theater. I was thinking of a 19" ish width of the slim 5 rack. But the rack that we have decided to go with is 24" wide (Middle Atlantic RCS-4224). For the price of loading a slim 5 with shelves, cooling, power etc., I can get two RCS-4224s that come already loaded. So obviously I can't put both 24" racks in the spot.... What do you guys think? My thought right now is to put them on either side of the screen. I could build the false wall around them. I know the lights and such may be a bit distracting, but the racks have tinted doors. I'm just thinking the wow factor of that wall would outweigh a few little green and blue lights!

Any other ideas?

Here is a pic of the RCS-4224 we are getting (X2)

post #16 of 44 Unread 10-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice choice on the Control4.. I love my system... Do you have someone local doing it.. ? Or out of town.. ?

Just curios... I'm In Edmonton... Looks like it will be an awesome room...
post #17 of 44 Unread 10-05-2014, 04:44 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:

That is a sturdy rack. From hands on observation I've determined that the same Chinese factory makes a variant for Sanus and OmniMount. They also make a Knock down version for HTdepot under the brand name of FocalPic. The differences are the shelves provided and whether it comes with ventilation fans (too noisy I swap them out)). I've used a few of the Focalpic on local jobs as HTdepot has a good cash and carry price on the rack, but then you spend a few hours putting it together. I'm curious what the net final price with shipping is per rack. Getting it assembled would be a real plus.

I built one into the wall at Rawlinsway if you want to see some pictures

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-05-2014 at 05:00 AM.
post #18 of 44 Unread 10-05-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus.Young View Post
Nice choice on the Control4.. I love my system... Do you have someone local doing it.. ? Or out of town.. ?

Just curios... I'm In Edmonton... Looks like it will be an awesome room...
Thanks! I was a bit hesitant at first because I'm a "hands on" kinda guy and didn't like the idea of handing so much control of my system to an installer. But after a couple of meetings and a lot of back and forth on email and text I decided to go with it. I will be doing the entire prewire myself! I'm a bit nervous about this, but my buddy is a former Crestron installer and has pulled wires on million dollar systems so I think we will be ok! Plus I'll be saving thousands!

The installer is local. He has over 10 years experience with C4 and has been in the business for 20. Plus he's a bigger nerd then I am when it comes to this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
That is a sturdy rack. From hands on observation I've determined that the same Chinese factory makes a variant for Sanus and OmniMount. They also make a Knock down version for HTdepot under the brand name of FocalPic. The differences are the shelves provided and whether it comes with ventilation fans (too noisy I swap them out)). I've used a few of the Focalpic on local jobs as HTdepot has a good cash and carry price on the rack, but then you spend a few hours putting it together. I'm curious what the net final price with shipping is per rack. Getting it assembled would be a real plus.

I built one into the wall at Rawlinsway if you want to see some pictures
I'm paying 1200 CND plus tax. That's fully assembled. My installer says he's used both the Omnimount and Mid Atlantic. He seems to think the MA is a bit more sturdy and well built. But he says it may be his bias for MA The Omnimount is the same price here in Canada so it's a no brainer for me. Did you detail the rack install in the Rawlinsway build? Can you point me to that area? it's a looong thread!! As you saw I'm thinking of putting my racks on either side of the screen. I know it's not ideal, but it may be my only option. I will be speaking to my framer about widening that 42" area, but that spot is defined by 2 double trusts so I may be looking at extra $$$, and I don't want that! So I want to have a built in look to the racks, but I will need to be able to pull them out for access (they will be on casters).
post #19 of 44 Unread 10-05-2014, 08:48 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

pics:

Sample at the store: It will now run you $550 cash and carry.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	295394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0989.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	295402  

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-05-2014 at 08:53 AM.
post #20 of 44 Unread 10-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Well, we've decided to go with a full Control4 system for distributed zone audio, video, HVAC, lighting and security. Quote for A/V prewire and Control4 I will be doing all of the prewire myself. I had originally planned on having a "house rack" in the "broom closet" area of the main floor and a "theater rack" in the theater in the area indicated on my sketch. Then I thought wouldn't it be awesome to have both racks together? So I then proposed to put two racks in the 42" area in the theater. I was thinking of a 19" ish width of the slim 5 rack. But the rack that we have decided to go with is 24" wide (Middle Atlantic RCS-4224). For the price of loading a slim 5 with shelves, cooling, power etc., I can get two RCS-4224s that come already loaded. So obviously I can't put both 24" racks in the spot.... What do you guys think? My thought right now is to put them on either side of the screen. I could build the false wall around them. I know the lights and such may be a bit distracting, but the racks have tinted doors. I'm just thinking the wow factor of that wall would outweigh a few little green and blue lights!

Any other ideas?

Agree that the wow factor would be high, but let me push a bit if only to make sure you're really comfortable with racks on either side of the screen...

...after the wow factor subsides, do you really want to see lights (even behind tinted doors) while watching a dimly lit scene on your screen? Also, having the racks in the room would add heat and noise from cooling fans that you would have to solve for.

How about putting the two 24" racks outside the room across from the Master walk in closet built into that wall? With the theater door moved to allow for the step up to riser height, you should have more than enough space. Now you do lose the double rack "WOW!" factor for your guests unless they exit by your master. And you'd have to manage the noise of to cooling fans so they don't bother anyone in the master.

Another thought is to put the racks at the top of the stairs near the main entry into the theater. You could have one rack on either side of the entry with the rack doors opening into the stairway. Your guests would get the wow factor as they enter. Doesn't appear that you have a landing there. If you want frequent access to the racks, that could be a bit precarious.

My 2 cents FWIW

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
post #21 of 44 Unread 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

you know before shelling out a couple grand I would consider doing DIY racks hidden by fabric panels on each side of the screen. Some guy I know did that.

Wait that is my place.

First theater I ever built (actually the first anything)

GPowers also has an example of panel hidden racks in the show me your rack thread.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 10-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #22 of 44 Unread 10-05-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
...after the wow factor subsides, do you really want to see lights (even behind tinted doors) while watching a dimly lit scene on your screen? Also, having the racks in the room would add heat and noise from cooling fans that you would have to solve for.
That's exactly why I'm hesitating! Your suggestions have got me thinking. I'm meeting my framer this week. I'm going to discuss options with him. I know the truss are 24 O.C., so my racks would not fit in between... Unless we pre-plan something. I like the idea of having the racks in the stairway as go up the back, but I can't see that working as I would have to go through an enginered truss to do it. I will have dedicated cold air returns at the rack locations (wherever they end up!), so I don't think heat will be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
you know before shelling out a couple grand I would consider doing DIY racks hidden by fabric panels on each side of the screen. Some guy I know did that.
I had forgotten about your theater Big! Although at one time I would have jumped on a DIY rack, I've been dreaming of racks like this for a long time and I'm going to get them! But your theater has given me an idea of fold away light weight fabric doors that would be open in their normal state, showing off the thousand upon thousands I will have invested in gear before this is all over, and then they would simply swing closed over the racks when the movie starts. Hmmm... going to sketch something up!
post #23 of 44 Unread 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Met with my framer today. He can give me up to 5 feet in that area I had marked for my equipment racks. So lots of room for my double racks! No structure needs to be modified and no extra $$.
post #24 of 44 Unread 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's a good news/bad news day... I lost my equipment area on the side wall of the room but instead of 14', I have 15'6"! I'll take the extra 18" of room width any day! It looks like I will be going with my idea of having a "house rack" on one side of the screen and a "theater rack" on the other.

Here are some progress pics. The pre-wire time is coming fast! I'm getting excited and anxious!

Here is my theater on the ground in my driveway!!

Trusses are up! A couple of picks taken from the area where my master bedroom will be - looking through the wall into the theater.

post #25 of 44 Unread 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 124
You are right there are not a lot of second floor builds but you can find them.

I actually had them build the riser into the theater by lowering the ceiling of my work shop. I did as much sound proffing as I could afford and my builder also let me start on my theater while under construction. de coupling the ceiling and three walls with clips and channel and a double decoupled wall between my theater and game room. If I had the money I would have also put the acustic mat on the floor and did double layer of 3/4" T&G as it was I just put GG on the sub floor and one layer of 3/4" T&G. Ted and Jon at sound proffing company were a great help planing every thing out.

Are you doing attic spray foam? it is well worth it.
post #26 of 44 Unread 10-17-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
You are right there are not a lot of second floor builds but you can find them.

I actually had them build the riser into the theater by lowering the ceiling of my work shop. I did as much sound proffing as I could afford and my builder also let me start on my theater while under construction. de coupling the ceiling and three walls with clips and channel and a double decoupled wall between my theater and game room. If I had the money I would have also put the acustic mat on the floor and did double layer of 3/4" T&G as it was I just put GG on the sub floor and one layer of 3/4" T&G. Ted and Jon at sound proffing company were a great help planing every thing out.

Are you doing attic spray foam? it is well worth it.
I'm subscribed to your thread cw5billwade and have been following along with your build

Good call on the sound proofing! I don't think I will be going to that level with my room. The room is on top of the garage and the only connecting wall is buffered by a big walk-in closet. This will have to do. I'm maxed out on budget and simply can't justify the extra costs in this room. Same for spray foam. It's just cost prohibitive for us.
post #27 of 44 Unread 10-17-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've been working on my pre-wire plan. I've submited it to my C4 installer to see if it makes sense but I'd like to get your opinion on it too!

Pre-wire plan (all wires run from far end of Bonus room above garage)

Kitchen

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs in ceiling speakers
Cat6 – 4 runs to cabinet above double ovens (video)
Station wire – 1 run to cabinet above double ovens (IR)
Cat5 – 7 runs to under cabinets, uppers and bottoms (LED)
Cat5 – 2 runs to side wall for C4 touchscreen, future
Alarm wire – 1 run to C4 smoke detector

Family room

16/2 speaker wire – 2 in ceiling speakers
Cat5 – 1 run to fireplace
Alarm wire – 1 run for motion

Living room

14/2 speaker wire – 2 runs in ceiling (rears), 3 runs in wall (LCR), 1 run in wall (sub)
Cat6 – 4 runs to wall (video)
Station wire – 1 run to wall (IR)
Cat5 – 2 runs to wall (LED behind TV)

Sunroom

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs in ceiling
Alarm wire – 1 run for patio door

Deck

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs outside “sunroom” wall
Cat5 – 2 runs for outside camera locations

Front entry

Alarm wire – 1 run for alarm panel
Alarm wire – 1 run for front door
Cat5 – 1 run for future panel?
Cat5 – 1 run for outside entry camera

Dining room

Mud room

Office

Cat6 – 4 runs to side wall (future TV)
Station wire – 1 run to side wall (future IR)
16/2 speaker wire – 6 runs for future 5.1 system
Cat6 – 2 runs for internet/Wifi access point

Garage

Cat5 – 1 run for camera
Cat 6 – 4 runs to back wall for future TV
Station wire – 1 run to back wall for future IR
Alarm wire – 3 runs to garage doors
Alarm wire – 1 run to side man door
Cat5 – 2 runs to main garage doors
Cat5 – 2 runs to garage door openers on wall
16/2 speaker wire – 4 runs to side walls (2 each)

Master bedroom

Cat6 – 4 runs to side wall (video)
Station wire – 1 run to side wall (IR)
Cat5 – 2 runs to side wall (LED behind TV)
14/2 speaker wire – 2 runs to ceiling
14/2 speaker wire – 3 runs to side wall for LCR
Subwoofer cable – 1 run to back corner for sub

Ensuite bath

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs to ceiling
Cat5 – 1 run to under cabinet (LED)

Upstairs bedrooms X3

Cat6 – 2 runs per room (future)

Bonus room (theater)

14/2 speaker wire – 11 runs for 7 main and surround, 4 in ceiling
12/2 speaker wire – 4 runs to front for subs
HDMI – to in ceiling projector location
Cat6 – 3 runs to in ceiling projector location
Station wire – 1 run to in ceiling projector location
Cat6 – 4 runs between both Rack locations
Cat5 – multiple runs for various LED locations TBD

Upstairs hallway

Alarm wire – 1 run for smoke detector

Basement family room

16/2 speaker wire – 4 runs to in ceiling
Cat6 – 4 runs to side wall (video) (future)
Station wire – 1 run to side wall (IR) (future)
14/2 speaker wire – 5 runs for 5.1 system (future)
14/2 speaker wire – 5 local runs for current 5.1 system
Conduit tube for current A/V/gaming system
Alarm wire – 1 run for C4 smoke detector

Mechanical room

Cat6 – 2 runs for Wifi access point, future

Basement bedrooms/storage room

Cat6 – 2 runs each room for internet, future
post #28 of 44 Unread 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Well, I've been working on my pre-wire plan. I've submited it to my C4 installer to see if it makes sense but I'd like to get your opinion on it too!

Pre-wire plan (all wires run from far end of Bonus room above garage)

Kitchen

Cat6 – 4 runs to cabinet above double ovens (video)
Station wire – 1 run to cabinet above double ovens (IR)
Cat5 – 7 runs to under cabinets, uppers and bottoms (LED)
Cat5 – 2 runs to side wall for C4 touchscreen, future

Family room

16/2 speaker wire – 2 in ceiling speakers
Cat5 – 1 run to fireplace

Living room

14/2 speaker wire – 2 runs in ceiling (rears), 3 runs in wall (LCR), 1 run in wall (sub)
Cat6 – 4 runs to wall (video)
Station wire – 1 run to wall (IR)
Cat5 – 2 runs to wall (LED behind TV)

Sunroom

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs in ceiling
Alarm wire – 1 run for patio door

Deck

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs outside “sunroom” wall
Cat5 – 2 runs for outside camera locations

Front entry

Alarm wire – 1 run for front door
Cat5 – 1 run for outside entry camera

Dining room

Mud room

Office

Cat6 – 4 runs to side wall (future TV)
Station wire – 1 run to side wall (future IR)
16/2 speaker wire – 6 runs for future 5.1 system
Cat6 – 2 runs for internet/Wifi access point

Garage

Cat5 – 1 run for camera
Cat 6 – 4 runs to back wall for future TV
Station wire – 1 run to back wall for future IR
Alarm wire – 3 runs to garage doors
Alarm wire – 1 run to side man door
Cat5 – 2 runs to main garage doors
Cat5 – 2 runs to garage door openers on wall
16/2 speaker wire – 4 runs to side walls (2 each)

Master bedroom

Cat5 – 2 runs to side wall (LED behind TV)
14/2 speaker wire – 2 runs to ceiling
14/2 speaker wire – 3 runs to side wall for LCR
Subwoofer cable – 1 run to back corner for sub

Ensuite bath

16/2 speaker wire – 2 runs to ceiling
Cat5 – 1 run to under cabinet (LED)

Upstairs bedrooms X3

Cat6 – 2 runs per room (future)

Bonus room (theater)

14/2 speaker wire – 11 runs for 7 main and surround, 4 in ceiling
12/2 speaker wire – 4 runs to front for subs
HDMI – to in ceiling projector location
Cat6 – 3 runs to in ceiling projector location
Station wire – 1 run to in ceiling projector location
Cat6 – 4 runs between both Rack locations
Cat5 – multiple runs for various LED locations TBD

Upstairs hallway

Alarm wire – 1 run for smoke detector

Basement family room

16/2 speaker wire – 4 runs to in ceiling
Cat6 – 4 runs to side wall (video) (future)
Station wire – 1 run to side wall (IR) (future)
14/2 speaker wire – 5 runs for 5.1 system (future)
14/2 speaker wire – 5 local runs for current 5.1 system
Conduit tube for current A/V/gaming system
Alarm wire – 1 run for C4 smoke detector

Mechanical room

Cat6 – 2 runs for Wifi access point, future

Basement bedrooms/storage room

Cat6 – 2 runs each room for internet, future
I just went through this process...possession date early December. My feedback:
  • Make all speaker runs 12Ga/2 in-wall
  • Make all network Cat6
  • Mandate that multiple different color Cat 6 cables per run (i.e. the "basement" AV run is red, green, yellow and black Cat6). that way when you're doing baluns later, you're not trying to figure out which two blue Cat 6 cables in the "basement" bundle to use.
  • Consider "local use" devices like Blu-Ray....will you need to go to the bonus room from the basement to insert a disc?
  • I'd include 1-2 RG6 in all AV locations.
  • I ran RG6 and Cat 6 to the attic in case I finally cut the cord and want terrestrial HD
  • I'd move your wifi access point run to an upstairs bedroom closet (RG6, Cat6 and power). Physically high, and away from the RF issues present in most mech. rooms.
Cheers,

Quill
post #29 of 44 Unread 10-17-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
I just went through this process...possession date early December. My feedback:
  • Make all speaker runs 12Ga/2 in-wall
  • Make all network Cat6
  • Mandate that multiple different color Cat 6 cables per run (i.e. the "basement" AV run is red, green, yellow and black Cat6). that way when you're doing baluns later, you're not trying to figure out which two blue Cat 6 cables in the "basement" bundle to use.
  • Consider "local use" devices like Blu-Ray....will you need to go to the bonus room from the basement to insert a disc?
  • I'd include 1-2 RG6 in all AV locations.
  • I ran RG6 and Cat 6 to the attic in case I finally cut the cord and want terrestrial HD
  • I'd move your wifi access point run to an upstairs bedroom closet (RG6, Cat6 and power). Physically high, and away from the RF issues present in most mech. rooms.
Cheers,

Quill
Thanks for the input Quill! Great idea on the different colored Cat6 runs! I plan on having a Wifi access point on each level. One in the bonus room, one in the office and one in the basement mechanical room. This should give me great whole house coverage. I will absolutely be including RG6 to all the AV locations. I think it was in my original plan but I just forgot to include it! Good idea for the attic run! I will do that! Local Bluray devices? I don't think so. I figure if you will be watching a 2+ hour movie, you can take the 2 minutes to run up and put in the disk. A small sacrifice for the clean look, central equipment, ease of integration, etc. Is 12GA speaker wire for in-ceilling speakers really necessary? I was only planing on using the big stuff for my theater subs. 14 for the 5.1 systems and 16 for the in-ceiling. The little extras can really add up fast when you are dealing with thousands of feet of wire.
post #30 of 44 Unread 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Thanks for the input Quill! Great idea on the different colored Cat6 runs! I plan on having a Wifi access point on each level. One in the bonus room, one in the office and one in the basement mechanical room. This should give me great whole house coverage. I will absolutely be including RG6 to all the AV locations. I think it was in my original plan but I just forgot to include it! Good idea for the attic run! I will do that! Local Bluray devices? I don't think so. I figure if you will be watching a 2+ hour movie, you can take the 2 minutes to run up and put in the disk. A small sacrifice for the clean look, central equipment, ease of integration, etc. Is 12GA speaker wire for in-ceilling speakers really necessary? I was only planing on using the big stuff for my theater subs. 14 for the 5.1 systems and 16 for the in-ceiling. The little extras can really add up fast when you are dealing with thousands of feet of wire.
LOL - WAF dictated local sources for me: "I am NOT going to the basement every time I put a movie in for the kids!"

On the speaker wire, you and I can get quality 12GA/2 in-wall for $0.31/foot....contractor bulk costs should be even lower... I'm just suggesting the 12GA because of the extremely long runs you will have. 14 would be fine, but I went 12 because of some of the physics outlined in articles like this:
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-vid...er-cable-gauge

RE subs - I didn't catch the type you have, but you' have the amp in a rack (correct?)....You may want to consider future-proofing via fish-pipe in case you move to a model that has built in amps, and XLR or RCA inputs.

And yes...the little things definitely add up...though one of my best friends owns an electrical contracting company, so I am extremely lucky to get materials and labour at cost!

Some other little things to consider:
  • have framers put backingboards wherever your TVs will be mounted to the wall
  • When in doubt, fish-pipe!
  • dedicated circuits
  • fishpipe and power into the theater riser
  • A/V connection to deck (2 cat6 and 2 RG6). I forgot to do this, but would be handy as hell for back yard movies (HDMI to projector, RG6 for left & right stereo to powered speakers) or an all weather TV. And receiver, blu ray, etc stays put.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction