Home theater layout advice needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Home theater layout advice needed!

Hi! Long time lurker here. Built a home theater in my last house and sold it with the home. Originally was gonna put it off in the new house but due to unfortunate circumstances we are redoing the basement sooner than planned and are thus now making a home theater again.

So I am working with a space 12'x16'8'' which is nearly identical to my last HT. Problem is the door has to be on a 12' wall. Previously I had my door on the side. I am planning for a 106'' screen with two rows just like I had in my previous build and about 9 feet and 14 feet like last time. There is 8 inches if ductwork above where the door would be. Should I place the door so I am entering in from the rear of the theater onto a 12'' riser and now my 8 foot ceiling is only 6ft 4. When you enter, or at the front next to the screen? Never seen a door right next to a screen and felt it could be distracting.

With about 96'' for the screen i am left with 24 inches for the door which is a little tight. Can i fit HT seats through that size door? I felt i had a lot of leeway last time as they come in two pieces but 24 inches is tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 03:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 695
do you have room to step up to riser height outside the theater? Then you can have the door size you want in the rear. I would do everything you can to keep the door off the screen wall. Maybe modify the duct etc.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I am confused as to how stepping up to riser height outside the theater would allow me flexibility with for size. The chairs i use are 11 in' which gives me 28in walkway when you enter if we put the chairs on the back row. The problem was if we put the screen on that wall , if centered u would be left with two feet on the side of the screen.

Moving ductwork is not possible as half of the basement is finished, and the other half is halfway demoed do to some basement wall issues that has pushed this home theater peoject to the forefront.

Aside from the obvious asthtetic issue of placin a door next to the screen is there any other issue? Does any one have an example of placing a door next to a screen and how it turned out?

Also for my last build i went with beige wall and brown ceiling. I will use this combo again of BM meditation and van buren brown for ceiling. However, i went with white trim and was wondering what other trim color i could use that would go better in the home theater.

I went with aperion in walls last time and was very happy but they are out of stock now. I was looking at the vsi series that is on sale at accessories for less right now. Closeout pricing on what at one point were 1000-600 dollar in walls but can find a single review. Anyone with any experience with these speakers?
post #4 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

keeping it on the back wall is the issue for size not stepping up.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I agree, but the previous poster was asking if i could step it up outside. The chairs will leave a big enough doorway. The screen could be tight.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I am the previous poster
post #7 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Oh i apologize. So what would the advantage be to stepping up to riser height from outside the theater? Also aside from aesthetics is there another reason not to put the door beside the screen?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm probably missing something, but why not enter into the room at normal height, and only then go to the riser? This would avoid that door issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmit View Post
Also aside from aesthetics is there another reason not to put the door beside the screen?
Acoustics wouldn't be great either - at least if you use a regular door.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
With about 96'' for the screen i am left with 24 inches for the door which is a little tight.
that is why you don't want the door on the screen wall, also where are you going to put the speakers?

As for entering at riser height, sketch a floor plan with a ground level entrance in the rear, draw the riser and seating to scale. provide the walkway and steps up to the riser.

Then draw a second version with a wall to wall riser in the rear, steps outside the theater. and entering at the rear. Which do you like better?
post #10 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I have an acoustically transparent screen. So speaker placement is not an issue.

No matter what, when you enter if you have the screen opposite the entrance, you will have to go on the riser to get to the first row.

I cannot place steps outside as that is the stair laniding area coming from above floor.

I will likely put a stair onto the riser just inside the door. Me and my wife are 5'3'' so not a big deal for us, but for visitors it could be tight but most people arent 6'4''
post #11 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi! Long time lurker here. Built a home theater in my last house and sold it with the home. Originally was gonna put it off in the new house but due to unfortunate circumstances we are redoing the basement sooner than planned and are thus now making a home theater again.

So I am working with a space 12'x16'8'' which is nearly identical to my last HT. Problem is the door has to be on a 12' wall. Previously I had my door on the side. I am planning for a 106'' screen with two rows just like I had in my previous build and about 9 feet and 14 feet like last time. There is 8 inches if ductwork above where the door would be. Should I place the door so I am entering in from the rear of the theater onto a 12'' riser and now my 8 foot ceiling is only 6ft 4. When you enter, or at the front next to the screen? Never seen a door right next to a screen and felt it could be distracting.

With about 96'' for the screen i am left with 24 inches for the door which is a little tight. Can i fit HT seats through that size door? I felt i had a lot of leeway last time as they come in two pieces but 24 inches is tight.
Hi Rimmit,

I made a video response to help answer you in depth. You can see it here:

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Dennis

Chief Acoustic Engineer at Acousticfields.com. Listen to your music...without hearing your room!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WOW. just... WOW.

Anyway...., any chance for an isle alongside the riser? That way, if the riser was behind the 1st row, but didn't stretch the entire width of the theater, perhaps then there'd be more room in the back for the door. I realize height wasn't an issue, but it just seems like a non-riser entrance may give a cool feeling to the whole set up. Like when you walk in a LOWES theater, know what I mean. Feel free to completely ignore this if you find it pointless or unhelpful
post #13 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Dennis,
Thank you for your well thought out response. However, unfortunately, without massive excavation there is just nothing I can do about the 12' dimension, so that is what I am stuck with.

DOMZ777, that is a great idea about entering onto just regular floor and stepping up to the riser from the aisle. That is what this current plan is based on.

I previously thought I had 8'' ceilings, but when I measured they were 7'6''. Ugh!

Below is my current plan. Please feel free to chime in on speaker placement, or just anything in general.

There will be a 6ft x 10ft Riser for the back row.

The dimensions of the room are unchangeable without excavating my front yard, so this is what I am unfortunately working with.

Will HT seats fit through a 24'' wide door. When I bought them last time I remember they came apart in two pieces, but didn't pay attention as to just how tight of a space they would fit through?
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT V2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	231617
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page