16 feet long x 15 feet wide, big enough for Home Theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
16 feet long x 15 feet wide, big enough for Home Theater?

I've just measured a likely location for a home theater in the basement of our house. The space is about 15 feet wide by about 16 feet long. Is this enough space for a home theater with say two rows of seating?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 01:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 622
not for two rows of reclining theater seating, OK if you use something smaller for the second row.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 08-17-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Do you have 8' ceilings? If so you are going to have challenges with room modes stacking up.

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #4 of 13 Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
Do you have 8' ceilings? If so you are going to have challenges with room modes stacking up.
Lol you just picturing that cube huh!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
I've just measured a likely location for a home theater in the basement of our house. The space is about 15 feet wide by about 16 feet long. Is this enough space for a home theater with say two rows of seating?
Hey Bob,

Here are my thoughts on the issues you posed:

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Cheers
Dennis

Chief Acoustic Engineer at Acousticfields.com. Listen to your music...without hearing your room!
post #6 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
a couch and a bar behind it sounds like it'd be a nice fit for a space that size. You'd get 2 rows - kinda, that way. Just a thought.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you all. Sorry for my delay in responding. I went on vacation and thought I'd get back to this while there, but I did not.

More info:

My ceiling joists are 7 feet, 8 inches above the concrete floor. I plan on using floating walls and putting the new joists between the current ceiling joists. However, I'll still lose some inches both for the ceiling and the floor.

15 feet in width is about the widest it can possibly be and I could lose up to a foot or so once I frame the (floating) walls. By width, I mean the wall where the screen will go is at most 15 feet wide. One wall will abut the outside concrete of the basement and one wall will abut the load bearing row of pillars in the middle of the house.

16 feet in depth is approximate and can be increased. By depth, I mean the length of the wall that is perpendicular to the wall where the screen will go. The HT will abut both a utility room and a bathroom, neither of which is built yet (still designing), so I could change the depth by even a few feet. The bathroom will likely have a small shower, but no tub, so I can adjust it somewhat. The utility room I can definitely adjust, but I also have to meet code. I'm not sure whether code will affect the utility room, but I need to have an oil tank moved there, as the oil tank is currently in the space where the HT will go. There likely are some codes about how much space there has to be around the oil tank, and I'm putting the tank into a location with an oil furnace, oil-fired hot water tank, solar cell equipment, and air handler. I assume there are codes for how much space is around those devices, but I don't know what my town requires as of yet.

Bob
post #8 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Take a look at rsprance's build. He did 2 rows of seating with a 16' deep room. The Arthouse" (fomerly "The Grindhouse") - Planning and Construction Thread

I'm currently building my theatre with about the exact same dimensions as his.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
12'x15' room, two rows, 7.5' ceiling (6.5' under bulkhead), not ideal but can be done. Skim through my thread for details on the compromises.

(flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #10 of 13 Old 08-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
mine is 17 deep and i will have 2 rows with a 110" screen

post #11 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mine is 16x17x8, with two rows,7.1 and 120" screen.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My room is quite a bit longer than yours (total dimensions ~14x23x8') and I've planned for a 110" screen. But if you take away the space behind my second row and take away the space behind the screen then the dimensions drop to 14x17x8, very similar to yours. So you could do two rows, although with some compromises (no false front wall, a little tight on the viewing distance, and as other have alluded to, you will still have non-ideal room dimensions for acoustics). Mr. Big is right in that you may not be able to squeeze a second row of recliners in easily if at all. Depends on how close you want to be to your screen I guess.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I have close to the same space and I have 1 row of 3. When you are throw lemons, you have to make lemonade

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page