• 1 Post By SierraMikeBravo
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
House Plans with HT's

Hi all! I couldn't figure out where else to post this. My wife and I are looking to build a house again. I currently have my HT in an upstairs bonus room and we find that we don't use it as much because of this. I'd like it on the ground level. With that being said, do any of you know where I might find some decent house plans with the HT or potential HT space on the ground level? We're looking at European, French Country, Contemporary, Traditional type of styles. Probably between 3,600 and 4,200 total sq ft.

Ideally, master would be downstairs and other bedrooms upstairs along with a smaller bonus and attic space.

We've been having trouble finding anything that fits our criteria that we like.

Thanks, folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I'm afraid you'll find, as I did, that there just aren't a lot of pre-made floorplans that include well-designed home theater spaces. You'll probably need to modify any plan you find. What I did was look at floorplans that had a game room and/or media room isolated on one side of the house. Pick a plan based on the layout of the rest of the house, and then modify the game room area to include a theater space.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
I'm afraid you'll find, as I did, that there just aren't a lot of pre-made floorplans that include well-designed home theater spaces. You'll probably need to modify any plan you find. What I did was look at floorplans that had a game room and/or media room isolated on one side of the house. Pick a plan based on the layout of the rest of the house, and then modify the game room area to include a theater space.

Jeff

I've tried that...spent countless hours trying it, actually. If the plan is conducive to modifying, it typically is a layout I don't like. I'll keep looking, though. It's feeling more and more like a fruitless effort.
post #4 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad_Rocker View Post
I've tried that...spent countless hours trying it, actually. If the plan is conducive to modifying, it typically is a layout I don't like. I'll keep looking, though. It's feeling more and more like a fruitless effort.
Try looking at plans for larger homes (4500-6000 sqft) to get a layout, and work backwards on size. Houses with large entertaining spaces will tend to be large in general.

I assume you're trying to get an idea of a plan to hand to a builder? You should expect that you'll probably need to hire an architect for a custom plan.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Try looking at plans for larger homes (4500-6000 sqft) to get a layout, and work backwards on size. Houses with large entertaining spaces will tend to be large in general.

I assume you're trying to get an idea of a plan to hand to a builder? You should expect that you'll probably need to hire an architect for a custom plan.
I have a guy that is drawing up my plans. He drew up my previous house plans.

I've tried starting large and going smaller but that seems even more difficult.

All I can do, I suppose is keep looking. It's all very subjective anyway.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a guy that is drawing up my plans. He drew up my previous house plans.
I've tried starting large and going smaller but that seems even more difficult. All I can do, I suppose is keep looking. It's all very subjective anyway.
Yeah, when I started designing my house I started with a bunch of squares for each room I knew I wanted, and arranged them for flow. Then took that and tried to sketch some rough layouts and proportions that the architect could make heads or tails of...

post #7 of 24 Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I might have a floor plan. I've done a few HT's on just about every level of a house, and some were on ground level. I'll take a look.
Myriad_Rocker likes this.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #8 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Shameless Friday bump
post #9 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had the same issue and we ended up having to go custom floorplan. I'd share the plan/layout with you but it is a one story and a bit larger than your target so I doubt it would fit on your lot.

I scoured the internet for days trying to find something in a style like yours which had a 1st floor media - but those are pretty much only 6k+ sqft houses which will even have a shot of having this feature in an off the shelf plan.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
our last home had an upstairs bonus room that was above the garage and did not have any other rooms that shared walls - while no treatments were done it worked great and the sound was minimal - our current home has an up stairs ht that shares walls with the bonus room, a kids room and a bathroom - while i know it is not ideal i never watch at reference level and even though it is not even close to being complete we are in there a lot - more so than the living room -

why not just look at a great floor plan and then find a spot in that plan that lets you add a single story "wing" so that the theater is more or less separate from the house - you could have a door from the house to the hall way then another door to enter the theater to isolate sounds -
post #11 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just had custom plans drawn up for a 3800sq ft house with a 1st floor theatre room. Here's a link to it: http://www.webpimp.net/HARRIS_08-13-14_FRAMING_PLAN.pdf

I'd like to hear critiques on the plans.

Three of our close friends have 2 story houses with their movie room upstairs. They said after the first year, the novelty wore off and they quit using it.

On the plans that we are using, we decided to hang the movie theatre room off the back off the house and make it accessible from the master bedroom for easy late night tv watching without having to disturb our two girls (ages 2 and 6) that sleep upstairs.

Last edited by riker20; 08-22-2014 at 12:02 PM.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker20 View Post
I just had custom plans drawn up for a 3800sq ft house with a 1st floor theatre room. Here's a link to it: http://www.webpimp.net/HARRIS_08-13-14_FRAMING_PLAN.pdf

I'd like to hear critiques on the plans.

Three of our close friends have 2 story houses with their movie room upstairs. They said after the first year, the novelty wore off and they quit using it.

On the plans that we are using, we decided to hang the movie theatre room off the back off the house and make it accessible from the master bedroom for easy late night tv watching without having to disturb our two girls (ages 2 and 6) that sleep upstairs.
Nice plan! Regarding an upstairs media room, I think it really depends on how its implemented; if it's more of a basic tv watching room (a la game room w/no windows), then I can see folks no longer using it. We had our media room upstairs which was a dedicated theatre room (scope screen, theater charis, etc.) and we had no issues using it all the time. We've moved and will be building a home with it downstairs, as the plan we liked had it down there already.

Critiques - I'd probably flip-flop the media room and master. Have the media share the garage wall and push the rest of the master to the back of the home; that way you can leverage windows into your back yard. This will also isolate noise in the cases where kids (or you!) are watching late at night and the Mrs. is trying to get some sleep. Just IMHO.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 12:57 PM

We looked at flip-flopping it all, but couldn't figure out a good way to do it and still have the drop zone for entry from the garage.

On the rear elevation , we have (3) sets of shutters that look closed so it gives the appearance of windows on the back wall and not just all brick.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Here is the home we are building. It has the master down. We turned the formal living room into a second office/study and built an additional playroom over the great room. So the downstairs family room is not 2 stories. The loft will be our temporary fitness room. In our case we are having a walk out basement for the Ultimate man cave complete with dedicated theater. But looking at your wish list about having the theater on the main level, it struck me that there was an option on this floor plan to add an additional 4th car garage. Basically it would be on the other side of the kitchen. With a little re working you could flip the mud room and the pantry, so you could entire the theater through the kitchen. The theater would be opposite the master bedroom and the majority of rooms upstairs would be on the other side of the house as well. There were a lot of other options with this floor plan as well, (guest suite, luxury master bath, adding a full bath off of the loft, etc). The other thing we did was bump out the kitchen and the family room an extra 4 ft. I think we are around 4500 sq ft with all the additional space we added; not including the unfinished basement. I think I can scrounge up the floor plan options if you want.

http://www.tollbrothers.com/NC/Prese..._II#floorplans

Good luck,
Dave
post #15 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agree with tgrinch that it's an implementation-specific issue and will depend on what the build-out of the room is like. If it's just 'another' TV room, then, no, probably won't get used as much.

Mine is upstairs, and I only use it for movie watching and for events (movie nights with friends, major sports, etc.) - not for everyday TV viewing. While a small percentage of that 'lack' is due to it being upstairs - it's really more about it being a "dedicated" room. If I'm just watching TV, I'm probably reading, doing chores, cooking/eating and so on - not 100% engaged in what's on the screen.

Quote:
First, i would not recommend a door between the bedroom and the theater at all - it's a bad idea. Doors are the weak points for sound leakage, and if you ever want to use the theater after your spouse goes to bed - forget it. Also - when your kids are old enough to use the room on their own - you don't want them to either keep you up or wake you up early.

I would never build a theater that even shared a wall with the master bedroom (nor really any occupied bedroom - assuming a custom floorplan) - for the same basic reason.

Quote:
We looked at flip-flopping it all, but couldn't figure out a good way to do it and still have the drop zone for entry from the garage.
Try rotating the theater 90 degrees, and placing it adjacent to the garage. Have the master closet and bathroom between the theater and your master bedroom.

Move the entry door to the theater off of the screen wall so you're not restricting your screen/speaker space and forcing an asymmetric layout for screen and seating.

then see if you can steal a bump-out for the equipment closet into the utility room area, again to prevent asymmetric layout in the room itself.

Quote:
On the rear elevation , we have (3) sets of shutters that look closed so it gives the appearance of windows on the back wall and not just all brick.
If you have those false shutters also framed out as "filled in windows" in the framing, it can allow the room to be converted into a non-theater with significantly less effort. That, and have the riser built in the room after the fact (not part of the room structure itself) - so that it could be removed without re-doing the room.

Other notes on the floorplan:
  • Moving the master to the back of the house would allow you to add a door to the patio from the master if so desired.
  • If not, think about adding a door from the breakfast area to the patio
  • If you intend to have a TV in the great room, think about sliding the fireplace to one corner.
  • The door between the laundry room and the master closet is a great idea - I planned the same thing. But as we got into construction, we changed it to be a hamper and a pass-through with a clothes rod. That allowed for the functionality while not consuming all the space (and added a linen closet).

Jeff
Janibrewski likes this.

post #16 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a link to a plan that I considered. I went with a more southern style Louisiana home instead.

http://www.maddenhomedesign.com/#!the-dogwood/c1ty2
post #17 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Here are a bunch of floor plans of single story homes with first floor bonus rooms, many of these could easily be adapted for a theater.

http://www.arthurrutenberghomes.com/...&submit=submit

I like the Bermuda 1216
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1216F_FP.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	224497  

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-22-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would not have a door to the master for the reasons mentioned - an since you are custom building i would let the movie room be unfinished so you can do the room in a room thing or see if the builder will do that - my home was semi custom in that i could do some plan changes and add ons but the theater was something they would not do - in my case it is a dedicated room though and when completed will have 2 rows of seats, controlled light, etc so it is not a tv room but a real movie room - minus the full on sound proofing....since i, nor my wife, wanted to rip out the new drywall we are going for sound muffling.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My basement had a 17x37 room.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hi all! I couldn't figure out where else to post this. My wife and I are looking to build a house again. I currently have my HT in an upstairs bonus room and we find that we don't use it as much because of this. I'd like it on the ground level. With that being said, do any of you know where I might find some decent house plans with the HT or potential HT space on the ground level? We're looking at European, French Country, Contemporary, Traditional type of styles. Probably between 3,600 and 4,200 total sq ft.

Ideally, master would be downstairs and other bedrooms upstairs along with a smaller bonus and attic space.

We've been having trouble finding anything that fits our criteria that we like.

Thanks, folks!
Here are the plans for my house I just built. I designed the theater around it. I was like you and had a theater upstairs in my old house and hated it. I wanted it on the main level.

War Eagle!
post #21 of 24 Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJackson View Post
Here is the home we are building. It has the master down. We turned the formal living room into a second office/study and built an additional playroom over the great room. So the downstairs family room is not 2 stories. The loft will be our temporary fitness room. In our case we are having a walk out basement for the Ultimate man cave complete with dedicated theater. But looking at your wish list about having the theater on the main level, it struck me that there was an option on this floor plan to add an additional 4th car garage. Basically it would be on the other side of the kitchen. With a little re working you could flip the mud room and the pantry, so you could entire the theater through the kitchen. The theater would be opposite the master bedroom and the majority of rooms upstairs would be on the other side of the house as well. There were a lot of other options with this floor plan as well, (guest suite, luxury master bath, adding a full bath off of the loft, etc). The other thing we did was bump out the kitchen and the family room an extra 4 ft. I think we are around 4500 sq ft with all the additional space we added; not including the unfinished basement. I think I can scrounge up the floor plan options if you want.

http://www.tollbrothers.com/NC/Prese..._II#floorplans

Good luck,
Dave
Probably my favorite so far. I sent you a PM about the option you were talking about for the 4th garage that might work for an HT.

We're visiting with an architect next week. I have a draftsman who drew up my previous house plans. He'd draw up the one above for .75/ft. The architect is going to charge just a little more, but it might be worth it to get EXACTLY what we want. So we're going to consult with him and just see if we can get what we want for a little more money. If not, we'll go back to the draftsman we previously used.

Thanks all!
post #22 of 24 Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Probably my favorite so far. I sent you a PM about the option you were talking about for the 4th garage that might work for an HT.

We're visiting with an architect next week. I have a draftsman who drew up my previous house plans. He'd draw up the one above for .75/ft. The architect is going to charge just a little more, but it might be worth it to get EXACTLY what we want. So we're going to consult with him and just see if we can get what we want for a little more money. If not, we'll go back to the draftsman we previously used.

Thanks all!
Just sent you a couple emails to your personal email address.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.dreamhomesource.com here is a website with a ton of plans that can be searched by the style of your choice
post #24 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman2012 View Post
http://www.dreamhomesource.com here is a website with a ton of plans that can be searched by the style of your choice
I assure you, I've exhausted resources with those kinds of websites.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page