Need Help With Theme/Color for My Theater - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Need Help With Theme/Color for My Theater

I've been reading the forums in AVS for years. Everyone has a cool name for their theater, cool custom designs, colors and themes, etc.

That is the part of my build I have been dreading. My wife firming believes I actually have NEGATIVE artistic ability. Probably why I married her as she's a dancer and an artist While she has picked out everything else for the house, the basement is all mine, and not only do I get to select everything, she REFUSES TO HELP ME. So, left to my own devices I would paint every wall black, the ceiling white, and have white trim.

I've struggled with ideas, themes, etc. My space will be very utilitarian (function, not form) so I won't really have any design elements with the construction, so I'm left to colors. The other day I was joking with the kids that I'd do a Batman theme (not batcave, just the color theme). Grey and Black walls with Gold trim. My 4yr old daughter looked at me very seriously and say, "No daddy, you can't do that, you're Superman today" as she pointed to the shirt I was wearing. That made me think that I have several other superhero shirts that I also wear, so maybe I do a Justice League or Avengers thing instead. I looked up one of my favorite artists and told him I wanted to buy a bunch of his prints. I told him what I was doing and he even offered to have them printed on whatever canvas I wanted so I could use as acoustical panels.

Here is a link to pics that I'll be hanging in my office, theater and hallway outside the theater. Joker and one of the wedding pics goes in the office. The other wedding pic will go in the hallway. The rest gives me a lot of options as far as color palette in the 3 areas.

I'm really hoping that you guys can help me create some palettes for the areas before I give myself an ulcer stressing over it.

Thanks!!

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think there's a service (recommended by forum members) that allows you to print those designs on acoustic cloth. Why not make your own acoustic panels in a grey/charcoal color and then use the custom printed cloth panels as the artwork?

Make the carpet a dark red to capture the hues of the designs.

Seats are black or dark gray.

Create rope uplighting around the perimeter with a reddish hue on a blue ceiling to match the shirt in the wedding photos.

Basically take the colors from the shirts and designs and use those in your plan.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Dark. You need the room to be dark colors.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Hire an interior decorator / designer for a few hours of consulting... Then at least you've got an "expert" to back up your decisions!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've been following the acoustical panel thread for quite some time. The artist is willing to use the service to print his art on them for me. That way he doesn't have to give out his art in digital form, and he would use higher resolution images than he would provide to the public.

Neither of the wedding photos will be in the theater, one will be in the hallway outside of the theater, and the other will be in my office. I like the Dk Red carpet and Black/Dk Gray seating.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page