Soffit dimensions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Soffit dimensions

4 questions on soffits which I am considering adding to my plain-jane theater room to make running cables easier and to add better lighting.

1) Are there best practices on what the minimum height and depth dimensions for a soffit should be? They are not hiding anything that would dictate sizing.
2) What is the best material to make them out of? I've seen all wood, all metal (quikstix?) and hybrid. Given his stature, my default is a hybrid approach Big used in a recent build:
()

3) I assume the soffit shouldn't be left hollow, so what's the best thing to stuff it with?
4) If I build a simple soffit (just a rectangle, not something tiered), is there a moulding I can add that is deep enough to run a rope light within? Any links to such a moulding that I could check out at HD? Also, what rope lighting have you used?

Thank you!

(here's a photo of the room as is: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...6&d=1406785162)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Also, in the picture above of a soffit Big built, he doesn't have a metal channel running against the wall in the soffit to the left. How does on attach drywall to the wall-edge in this setup?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
either a 2x2 or 2x3 glued and screwed to the wall level with the bottom edge of the ladders.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
either a 2x2 or 2x3 glued and screwed to the wall level with the bottom edge of the ladders.
Thank you sir!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is that a double vertical soffit on the back wall? Is that to allow a frameless bottom to maintain space and still support drywall / OSB, or am I seeing it wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement