1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Air Circulation Soundproofing Compromise

I'm constructing a new home that will have a home theater on an upstairs floor. I'm doing what I can to soundproof the floor but I've run into a problem with the walls.

We have 2 rooms upstairs. I was expecting each room to have its own return vent back to the HVAC system as this was the case with our last home, but only one larger return vent was installed in the room next to the HT room.
In order for this system to work properly, the HT room door would need to have the necessary gap at the bottom for the appropriate air circulation. Obviously, this poses a problem with sound escaping so I feel there is probably not much point in taking any other measures to soundproof the walls (such as decoupling, DD+GG, solid core door, etc.)

Am I wrong about this? Would spending the money on the walls be worth it since I can't seal the door?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It really depends on your walls.

I just did the Roxsul safe and sound with green glue double 5/8 Sheetrock. The air gap at the bottom would kill my install.

If you have no insulation and 1/2 Sheetrock on either side probably wouldn't matter.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 357
If you're relying on the gap under the closed door to the theater for your air circulation, you're going to be sorely disappointed in the results... Filling that theater with seven bodies and the gear, you'll absolutely want a return in that room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 606
instead of the gap at the bottom of the door return you could install a powered dead vent sucking air out of the theater space and discharging it in to the room next door by way of a sound attenuating pathway. A box lined with sound absorption material. Think of a chimney against the wall of the theater, suck hot air out the top and expel it to the room next door at the floor. Line the chimney with Linacoustic, if your make a serpentine path inside the chimney even better. It could stand in the corner in the theater or outside the theater, It could also go inside the ceiling joists if you are at that stage of construction.

There are more details on dead vents at soundproofingcompany.com

You can contain the sound in this space in spite of return location, I've worked on a few that used this principle. I've also worked on theaters that used dead vents for both the supply and return.

Looking at your design you should also put a 4 inch duct out at the top of the equipment stack and connect that to the dead vent. Position the return near the ceiling in the rear of the room the closer to the projector the better, try to get the supplies in the front.
mthiggins likes this.

PROJECTS:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
instead of the gap at the bottom of the door return you could install a powered dead vent sucking air out of the theater space and discharging it in to the room next door by way of a sound attenuating pathway. (box lined with sound absorption material. Think of a chimney against the wall of the theater, suck hot air out the top and expel it to the room next door at the floor. Line the chimney with Linacoustic, if your make a serpentine path inside the chimney even better. It could stand in the corner in the theater or outside the theater, It could also go inside the ceiling joists if you are at that stage of construction.

There are more details on dead vents at soundproofingcompany.com

You can contain the sound in this space in spite of return location, I've worked on a few that used this principle. I've also worked on theaters that used dead vents for both the supply and return.

Looking at your design you should also put a 4 inch duct out at the top of the equipment stack and connect that to the dead vent. Position the return near the ceiling in the rear of the room the closer to the projector the better, try to get the supplies in the front.
Thanks Big for the professional advice! I will look into this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page