AVS Forum banner

DIY Transparent Projector Screen Material

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  michalum 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I live in Canada (Montreal) and I would like to know if you could recommend a site or store to buy acoustically transparent screen material.
I would like white with gain 1.0 material for a 130" 16:9 screen...something good for the price.

Thanks

#7 ·
Ah. I was looking at his site. Wasn't sure if he'd do just material.

thanks a lot for the link :)
No problem. I bought my screen material there. Great folks to deal with.

#9 ·
Hey aloha, you could also forge spandex route. I grabbed a few yards on sale from fabricland for less than $100. This was so I could go white backed with silver or silver backed with white. Worse case if you don't like it you can step up to more of the professional weaves.

#13 · (Edited)
From my discussions with Rich some things I know about the frame building business.

shipping runs $300 ish, plus the cost of fabricating shipping container, For fabric you can use an off the shelf mailing tube.
Custom Aluminum frame profile, master die designed and purchased (four figures), stored at aluminum extruder for each 1000 lb order.
Labor to cut the aluminum frame and wrap with velvet.
cost of velvet wrap
Install Grommets in fabric
Test fit and install screw studs to attach fabric
corner hardware brackets, O rings, Zclips
Time to take to Fed Ex distribution center.

#16 ·
I went the spandex route and I don't regret it one bit. No noticeable weave and a gain just under 1.0

#17 ·
I built my 135" 16:9 screen out of the Seymour AV Center Stage XD Fabric and it turned out great! I built my frame out of 1x4 Pine.

I also did the grommets myself. - More info on the screen build can be seen on my build page starting with Post number 9 - Lots of pictures - MUCH Cheaper to do DIY.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ome-theater-build-2-0-diy-erskine-design.html

I can't remember the total cost but for the fabric I want to say it was around $300-$400 (need to go back and look it up) with a tilted cut. I would pay to have the grommets done next time or find better way to install them.

I also originally did a Spandex Screen which can be seen in post number 57 . Turned out OK but the Seymour Material has a much better/sharper picture.

I used the grommet kit from Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-1-2-in-Solid-Brass-Grommet-Kit-71264/100200416

#18 ·
i went with spandex from spandexworld. you'd need about 3 yards to cover that size. $12/yd for moleskin and $9/yd for milliskin. since it was so cheap, i ordered a couple different types to experiment. i settled on a silver matte which really brings out the black levels. i did some side by sides and thought for sure beforehand, i'd settle on a white screen. i don't notice any affects on sound. my screen is hung by cleats which allows me to take and remove very easily. total cost for an accoustically transparent 134" screen < $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.