Pardon my niaveness... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pardon my niaveness...

But what is a soffit. I noticed a lot of folks talking about adding one in the HT room, I looked at the pics, I know I am looking at it, but I do not see it or atleast I do not realize I am seeing it.

Having said this what does a soffit do when it comes to HT is it more of eye candy thing, or does it do anything for the acoustics for the rooms.

Lastly and I brought this up on another post. While I new that in building the room, I would have to cover up all wall jacks to ensure the sound proofing of the room goes well, but it never occured to me that I have to do something with the A/C as well. When folks are building a soundproof HT, how are they handling the A/C vent situation. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post
But what is a soffit. I noticed a lot of folks talking about adding one in the HT room, I looked at the pics, I know I am looking at it, but I do not see it or atleast I do not realize I am seeing it.

Having said this what does a soffit do when it comes to HT is it more of eye candy thing, or does it do anything for the acoustics for the rooms.

Lastly and I brought this up on another post. While I new that in building the room, I would have to cover up all wall jacks to ensure the sound proofing of the room goes well, but it never occured to me that I have to do something with the A/C as well. When folks are building a soundproof HT, how are they handling the A/C vent situation. Thanks
As Big would say....very carefully...

HVAC is a major element. Main requirements, two 90 degree bends in the duct, be able to maintain 70 degree Fahrenheit with 50% RH,
oversized vents, and a flow of around 250 ft^3/min. However, it varies on room size. I have had to design rooms with very large ducting...about 5 foot diameter. Most theaters can handle 10 inch flex duct. The soffits serve no acoustical purpose, but they do serve important mechanical purposes. However, we have designed rooms without it. It provides a good plenum to run wiring and HVAC.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A soffit is the part of the ceiling that drops down around the perimeter.

Example:

Soffits are not specific to HT's, either. You have them on the outside of your house where your roof "overhangs" your brick or whatever you have.

I suppose you COULD make soffits with acoustical properties. You'd have to cover them in fabric and fill them with OC703 or something. Might make for some decent bass trapping. They'd be more broadband, though.

Myriad_Rocker
Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Yamaha 7.2 AVR
Polk Monitor 60 Fronts, Polk CS2 Center, Polk RC55i Surrounds, Polk RC60i Backs, Polk PSW111 Sub
PS3, Wii
post #4 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

They do not make good bass traps.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #5 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
They do not make good bass traps.
They straddle the corners, so I assumed they would have some bass trapping properties.

Myriad_Rocker
Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Yamaha 7.2 AVR
Polk Monitor 60 Fronts, Polk CS2 Center, Polk RC55i Surrounds, Polk RC60i Backs, Polk PSW111 Sub
PS3, Wii
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

They become the new corner.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group

post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Have to agree... I am building a soffit which will aid in bass trapping. The soffit will be completely fabric covered and lined with insulation.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post
Have to agree... I am building a soffit which will aid in bass trapping. The soffit will be completely fabric covered and lined with insulation.
To your point, does this then mean bass travels up on the sides of the wall? I have seen some pics of bass traps that people have installed in the corners of thier rooms.

If base does in fact travel up and then to the sides, could one then design a soffit that is waist high instead of being near the ceiling. I guess at waist high it would no longer be a soffit and more like a bar railing, but atleast it is closer to the ground and can contain more bass as oppose to losing some bass as it travels up?

I'm not a sound engineer obviously, I'm just asking.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post
Again, not the best way to accomplish bass trapping. Soffits are very useful elements in a room. They provide a traverse for HVAC and wiring in the room. The amount of insulation in a soffit is not a lot considering the frequencies you are trying to control. An engineered riser will provide a much better trap while using the soffits for which they are best suited. Further, if there is a fire, leaving it open for fabric will allow for engulfment much quicker. In my opinion, it is a poor solution to an age old problem. You really are better sticking corner traps in the corner and finishing the soffit properly. You don't need to treat ever corner to dampen modal ringing.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group

post #10 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
To answer 2 of your questions I ran all of my HVAC in my soffits. The HVACenters the sound envelope in the soffit and makes some turns and then you put amuffler where it enters the room. Same with the cold air return. You stuff insulation around the flex tubes to furtherdeaden the sound escaping. Also all of my wiring from AC, CAT6, HDMI, andspeakers enter in my soffit, and run down my columns and coffer ceiling. Againa barrier from the holes made in the sound envelope as the soffit is DW/GG/DWjust like the walls. Where there is no HVAC in the soffit you fill it with insulationas well.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page