New Construction Home Rapidly in Progress. Quick decision help needed. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Construction Home Rapidly in Progress. Quick decision help needed.

Hello All.

SO....walkout basement type house with dedicated home theater space. the room is 20 by 34.

They have pre-wired whole house audio for one system, and then one system is pre-wired for my dedicated theater with 5.1 and placed electrical outlet at 13.5 and another at 16 feet in ceiling so I have a little leeway for projector placement. All wiring is to a closet beside the theater room.

I am looking to build a budget friendly system with an adequate projector and as big a screen as you guys can recommend. 9 foot ceilings.

We are roughed in thus far with electrical, plumbing, whole house audio and security so that is where we are. Insulating next week.

I need to know if there is anything I am neglecting while we are still in this phase of unfinished walls....

Thank you for your patience...I am not well-versed in the lingo.

Signed,

No Man to help in Northwest Arkansas! LOL!

PS

Oh Yeah... I just noticed my A/V pre wire guy charged me 472 dollars for 4 30 foot HDMI cables! So I don't really trust my consultant on this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
5.1 for a 34 ft long room sounds criminal. You will want at least 4 subwoofers, rear and side surrounds 7.x , perhaps two sets of sides surrounds depending on the seating design for this space. $472 for 4 cables ranks criminally with serial killers.

Did they install a conduit from the equipment location to the projector, you can anticipate that the standard for HDMI cables will change in your life in this theater. Having a conduit will make the changeover relatively painless.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-24-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you'll be adding a soffit for down lights or a place to place rope lights... you might want wiring planned for there.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
more speaker wires for more speaker locations and multiple subs. possibly even overheads for future dolby atmos.

with 9' ceilings, you technically can go as big as 220" diag in 16:9 format (floor to ceiling screen), but it depends on where you are actually sitting. you don't want to strain your neck and you really want to make sure whatever projector you are running is capable of producing a good image at larger sizes.

for reference, my screen is 134", first row "head location" is about 9.5' (view angle 29 degrees top to bottom (20 from center eye level to top)) and second row is about 15' (19 degrees). i actually am planning on placing a "3rd row" bar which is 19' away and it's a happy medium for everything.

and yes, a 30' HDMI cable should be anywhere from $25-$40.

Current Phase of HT Room: Under Construction...
Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input! Regarding the HDMI cables....AV guy said they build labor in to those costs....having a bid review with him and my builder on wednesday. Not thrilled about the lack of transparency.

Also....not thrilled about him not advising me better on the amount of speakers I would need. Below is a picture of my room and the stage of construction. They sprayed cellulose insulation on the exterior walls today.

As a single woman without a lot of help locally, I REALLY appreciate this forum and your advice and support.

When I meet with the AV guy Wednesday, I need to request the additional pre-wire I need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home theater room.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	229545  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You need a theater plan PRONTO otherwise you are pissing away money on a room that might not live up to your expenditure.

Erskine Group layout service is back
NightSkyMurals likes this.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

wow! This site has grown IMMENSELY from about 2008 when it was so helpful with my first home theater. the forum is HUGE now...which is great.

I wonder if there is a sticky thread somewhere with links to all the basics....like projector distance, screen size, basic speaker requirements, etc.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Hi,

There are basic calculators, but they don't tell you how one item should play nicely with another. Designing a theater is much about compromises, and when problems conflict, making the smart choices. I highly recommend you slow down just a bit. Otherwise, you will not be remotely satisfied with this room.
Tedd likes this.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wow don't take the builders advice on anything, and best of luck to you. I was allowed to run low voltage myself before the builder, but if you can't, I'd rather him not finish it and just stub bit.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
$472 for 4 cables ranks criminally with serial killers.
How would you rate these:

12 speaker cables, 2 hdmi, 1 cat6, 1 coax. = $2000, plus installation fee

Insulation for interior of a drywalled room. = 1400sqft. $2300, plus installation fee.

Playsand. = $1500, plus installation fee.

Screenwall (no baffle). = $1,000, plus cost of lumber, plus installation fee. Does not include screen.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Insulation for interior of a drywalled room. = 1400sqft. $2300, plus installation fee.

Screenwall (no baffle). = $1,000, plus cost of lumber, plus installation fee. Does not include screen.
When you ask a bunch of guys on a DIY site about pricing, everybody is going to says it's too much because we're used to paying for materials only

What are you paying per sf for the home.. that would indicate how much these things should cost. What kind of cables did you get? 16ga speaker wire or 12ga? What kind of coax-- solid copper with copper braid or copper-clad steel?

That being said, no way I would pay $1500 for playsand!

Due to your short time frame I would go with the 3rd party design service as recommended by Big. A lot of us have "designed" theaters that we are very happy with, but only after months of research and feedback from the users here (including the principals of the design services). It is not something you can do yourself in only a few days.

Lets us know how DIY-oriented you are. If you have the time and motivation to do a lot yourself, our recommendations will be geared towards that. If you just want to pay somebody else, we will adjust accordingly (eg I don't think your contractor is going to make you a DIY screen out of spandex).

Budget is also important. No sense recommending a Runco projector if you're on an Optima budget.

Tim
Old 08-29-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

And this assists the original poster how exactly?

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Old 08-29-2014, 05:42 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
How would you rate these
I would rate those as prices you quote someone you really don't want to work with.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Dag, at those prices listed there the "plus installation fee" is what really concerns me .
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Everyone has choices. And Big is right. I've seen high prices from many contractors. Usually it's that they are really busy and don't need the job or they don't want to work with someone or do the job. I see it all the time from GC's. Your option is to do it yourself.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group

Last edited by SierraMikeBravo; 08-29-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all... the best advise has definitely been to slow down a bit on this project. Unfortunately, we are dry walling next week! I did increase my speaker pre-wire to 7.1 and I called a local company, Digital Entertainment Systems, out of Rogers, Arkansas to come consult.

Thanks for all the replies and private msgs. Will update later!