Carrier Infinity vs Lennox Signature - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Carrier Infinity vs Lennox Signature vs Trane XV

Hi everyone...this is more a question on my upcoming house build than a specific HT question. Although, my new house will have a dedicated ground level HT, so my decision directly impacts it.

I currently have a Carrier Infinity system. Two of them to be exact. One for each side of the house. One unit has 3 zones and the other has just 1. I'm not thrilled with its cooling ability, but that is probably more the install than the unit itself. Don't get me wrong, I like it. Just sometimes, it doesn't seem to cool real well.

Anyway, this has caused me to look into the Lennox brand for my next home. And likely a different installer. I'm looking at the Lennox Signature line with air conditioner and furnace. I'd also need the Harmony zoning system. I want the wifi thermostat as well.

Also looking at the Trane XV via a friend's recommendation. I'm trying to find out more about them.

So...my questions are how these two units compare in your experience and research. Both in terms of price and performance. I've tried searching Google but I run into too many fanboy/troll situations to get honest opinions.

By the way, Carrier, Lennox, and maybe Trane are the only ones I'm considering at this time.

House will be between 3800 and 4200 sq ft. Two levels (no basement). Majority of the living space will be downstairs. Bedrooms, loft, and music room (recording) upstairs. Master, and HT downstairs with everything else.

Thanks all!!

Last edited by Myriad_Rocker; 08-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I installed the Lennox XC21 AC and SLP98V furnace with 4 zone Harmony with iComfort wifi thermostat. No issues whatsoever. At a minimum, you have to use Signature series in order to use iComfort wifi thermostat.

Your installer will dictate if your system is a success or not. Our 3000 sf single story home is balanced very well with home theater, quilting room, great room and kitchen/dining having close so same cubic feet per zone. System is much, much better than our last home's HVAC system.

Overall, system has been great the last year with no issues cooling theater room which was my biggest concern.

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I installed the Lennox XC21 AC and SLP98V furnace with 4 zone Harmony with iComfort wifi thermostat. No issues whatsoever. At a minimum, you have to use Signature series in order to use iComfort wifi thermostat.

Your installer will dictate if your system is a success or not. Our 3000 sf single story home is balanced very well with home theater, quilting room, great room and kitchen/dining having close so same cubic feet per zone. System is much, much better than our last home's HVAC system.

Overall, system has been great the last year with no issues cooling theater room which was my biggest concern.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I was actually leaning toward the Trane XV20i a/c and the Trane XC95m since those are both communicating systems. Second place, so far, was the Carrier Infinity Greespeed. Lennox was my third choice, but considering your info, that may move it into the second spot.

I'm still researching so if anyone has an opinion, I'd like to read it.

Myriad_Rocker
Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Yamaha 7.2 AVR
Polk Monitor 60 Fronts, Polk CS2 Center, Polk RC55i Surrounds, Polk RC60i Backs, Polk PSW111 Sub
PS3, Wii
post #4 of 9 Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I recently installed a 5-Ton Carrier Infinity Greenspeed AC heat pump and matching Air Handler in our home. It is amazingly quiet! The variable speed scroll compressor technology seems to be the most advanced in the market and will hopefully prove to be very efficient and reliable. We've had our system for a year now and have been extremely pleased with the installation.

I researched various compressor technologies before I decided to go with Carrier Greenspeed. So far, so good! Duct sizing can have a big impact on cooling efficiency. Our original system had just a single 16" return. When I looked up the engineering tables for a 5-Ton unit, I discovered our return ducting was marginal. I was able to add a 2nd return grille and 16" duct to our installation for just a few hundred dollars more to bring the system into better compliance with the engineering tables. Definitely money well spent!

Mike
post #5 of 9 Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I installed the Carrier Infinity system in our new house and even though it is extremely quiet and does a great job in the theater, I've had nothing but issues for 3 months. I agree it doesn't cool very well in the house overall. The HVAC contractor has been here every time I have a day off fixing something. Obviously probably an isolated experience but just giving you my 2 cents. I would go with the Lennox.

One thing to also consider if you're doing a fully dedicated theater is to go with an ERV to get your fresh air exchanges. There is one slide on my build thread (post #5 I think) that talks about HVAC - Savoy Build Thread - The Savoy

post #6 of 9 Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

One thing to also consider if you're doing a fully dedicated theater is to go with an ERV to get your fresh air exchanges. There is one slide on my build thread (post #5 I think) that talks about HVAC - Savoy Build Thread - The Savoy
+1

EVR is a "God Send!"

We eat a lot of steaks........A LOT! Our Wolf grill puts out a lot of smoke and even our 1200 CFM 26" deep vent with make-up air damper can't capture all air particulates. After 5-10 minutes, EVR system helps improve air quality in home. Can't give system enough praise!

My Build Threads

post #7 of 9 Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'll make a note of the ERV and then do some more research. I'm still really leaning toward the Trane. I know the guy that is in charge of the install team at the company that does Trane and he swears his crew is good and well trained. My main concern is not necessarily the system itself, but the install. At this level, all these systems are pretty good. A bad install or just an okay one can make or break a system. The company that does Carrier locally is the same company that installed my current one. It's nice and works well...just not as well as I think it should based on what it is (Carrier Infinity). I think it's an install issue, personally. I have no evidence for that, just a hunch.

Myriad_Rocker
Mitsubishi 73" DLP
Yamaha 7.2 AVR
Polk Monitor 60 Fronts, Polk CS2 Center, Polk RC55i Surrounds, Polk RC60i Backs, Polk PSW111 Sub
PS3, Wii
post #8 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
fwiw, I've heard Lennox has a much better reputation than Trane in the HVAC world. Doublewing is right though, the installer makes more of a difference. All things being equal, go with Lennox.

I also have an ERV. It's made by Venmar, and they have redundant control panels that allow you to put override switches in your bathrooms. So instead of installing vent fans in my 2 first floor bathrooms, I ran the suction side of the ERV to each bathroom. Then I installed switches in each bathroom that basically toggle the ERV on at high speed for 20 minutes. There is a main control switch in the dining room for the ERV that allows me to toggle between high speed on, low speed on, low speed on 20 minutes off 40 minutes, and off. It works quite well.

My build thread:

post #9 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
I switched from builders grade York (crap) to Trane. they have been working great, much quieter. There are things you can do to make them even quieter, Install on a resilient pad to isolated from the floor. Line sections of the main trunks with Linacoustic. Add Dynamat Extreme to large sections of metal duct to reduce vibration noise, Use sound attenuating ducts for those ducts entering and leaving your theater space.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page