Surround location help - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Surround location help

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

kwackaod
01:58 PM Liked: 0
post #1 of 1
08-30-2014 | Posts: 9
Hi guys

I could use a little help with speaker locations for a room I'm doing.

I have not decided on speakers yet. We recently bought this house an this was a builder provided media room. My original plan as I told my wife was upgrade from my mirage OM6 and OMc2 and sub. And get new speakers, sub and a new larger plasma. That changed to a 120" center stage XD AT screen and JVC4910, Two mini marty subs with UXL18's and two rows of seats. I have a XPA5 and UPA7 and UMC1 currently. Due to blowing right through the budget I originally told her, I might have to use the same Mirage for now.

I think I have read to much and now I'm at a point of indecision. I included a sketch of what I'm building. It's fairly standard 14 x 26 x 8 with a 8 x 19 soffit around the room and will be treated. I'm at the point of running the speaker wire then I can button up the ceiling and move to the riser.

I am going to run wires for 4 future in ceiling Atmos speakers. I would like to run some wires for the front wide's, there is no room for front highs. How far off the screen should the wide's be located. MLP is about 12'6 from the screen.

Second question should the side surrounds be directly to the side of the first row or between the first and second? I had planned for between the rows.

Everyone say Atmos seems to recommend mono pole speakers with two rows what are the thoughts on bi pole speakers on the sides and mono in the rear. I keep second guessing myself were to place them.

I was thinking of doing DIY volt 8 or 10's and 1099 LCR but I'm concerned about timbre matching the ceiling speakers with Atmos. Now I'm starting to look at Definitive, Golden Ear or some other manufacture there is something to be said to just taking it out of a box and hooking it up. Is there someone making a switchable Bipole to mono speaker?

I could use anyone's opinions about Definitive or Golden Ear being used in a similar size room.

Thanks for any help.
Attached: theater rough layout.jpg (126.9 KB) 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Subscribe to this Thread