AVS Forum banner

Sadiemax theater build (my first build)

51K views 857 replies 71 participants last post by  bear123 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Ok new house is under contract as is our house to be sold. Will be in the new digs by august 1st and here is my space for HT names for my 7 week old daughter Sadie and my 3 yr old son Max ❤

BEFORE:

COMPLETE!!! 4/11/15 (1 month 2 weeks after build start)

Updated: 10/16/15 finished chair rail and floorboards

updated: 11/1/15 added lattice on columns

love it!!

It's 100% light controlled since the windows are behind this area.

It measures 11.5' from left framed wall to foundation x 15' deep (to first window which will not be in the room after frames off). The ceiling is 7.5' except where hvac is it is 6.5' (plan on pitying soffit around it)

I plan on a 130" AT 2.35 screen using my already purchased panny ae8000

Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated as I build this (my first build if any kind) I have lots of help as my father in law builds houses for his living. It will be slow going but immediately I will be building a false wall to hold the speakers and screen

UPDATE 5/9/15 - EQUIPMENT 100% DIY

Screen - 130# DIY spandex (white over black millskin) 2.35 CIH
PJ- JVC Rs400 4k e-shift PJ
Pre/pro - Denon x7200WA 7.4.4. ATMOS/DTS:X
Amplifiers- Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-100 x 2, inuke 6000dsp x2
BR - Samsung k8500 4k
Speakers- DIY Elusive 1099's x3- LCR
DIY Volt 6 x8 - ATmos ceiling, side surround, rear surround

Subwoofers- (2) DIY si18d4
(2) DIY si18ds4

ORIGINAL equipment:
Screen - 130" DIY spandex (white over black millskin) 2.35 CIH
PJ- Panasonic Ae8000
Pre/pro - Emotiva XMC-1 w/dirac
Amplifiers- Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-200
BR - Oppo 103
Speakers- PSA MT110's L/C/R
PSA MT110sr's SL/SR
Klipsch Quintets SBL/SBR
Subwoofers- (3) PSA XS30se

progress photos as they happen:
2/25/14

[URL=http://s19.photobucket.com/user/bcfineberg/media/F49920C6-FFD5-440E-BF8F-6EFC638ABCBE_zpsem4pp5dv.jpg.html]

See less See more
#42 ·
Thanks! First big party in the new house. Lots to have been done. But we are good to go ;)

#43 ·
setup my subs in the new theater area...and what a difference having a large room makes with XS30's...now mind you this room will eventually be quite small (11x16x7.5) but without walls the response does in fact fall quickly.

I am getting +/-5db down to 10 Hz
but that is with a low end house curve boost....in my old home area....I was getting +/- 2db dwon to 10 before it fell off...

still sounds great....but cant wait to get that room gain back!

also sold my XSP-1 and C1 DAC...I dont have room for a 2 channel rig...and this will pay for my PJ...now time to build speaker stands

EDIT: the new sub configuration is much flatter than the old house (both subs up front) and needs very little EQ'ing to be very flat...

#46 ·
so IM in a standby and wait type pattern right now, which is ok cause I am doing tons of research on what I want to do...I may eventually add two more seeats and make one row of 4 across. I would move the left sub to behind the seats instead of next to it. I will not nor ever planned to have a door behind the seats and the entrance to be to the left of the screen so thats not an issue.

I will be buying IB3 clips soon and framing my wall (probably by months end hopfuly) once the walls are framed I will be at a standstill...I will b buliding the frames 1" off of the foundation to getr rid of the need for channels and clips :) should keep costs down with sacrificing as little spae as necessary...although the ceiling will need the channels and clips

in the meantime...I bought the pipe extender for the peerless mount...now the lense is below top of screen....and auto shifting between 1.85 and 2.35 content is seamless with the image perfectly centered:

#48 ·
well not really...this was my intention all along...I want to be able to enjoy the system while I have to wait for money to roll in...otherwise I will rush it and not do thing correctly...

like I said..I am putting up the framing by end of the month...

I dont mind taking down the equipment to just set it back up....your not the first to say its a dead thread...i promise you its not ;)

#50 ·
thanks for the motivation to MAKE SURE it doesn't happen now (the dead thread) :cool:

#52 ·
actually the opposite..

I use the lense memory feature to zoom the 2.35 content...the black bars then spillover and off the screen

#57 ·
i took a look at your pics...very very nice setup! I had the 1.85 masked system in my old condo (120") and i just like this better.

thanks for following along :) this crazy journey we are on

#67 ·
yes I could however I would need to put in a door to the utilities, for access to them (and be able to remove the water heater should it go...

#68 · (Edited)
I think that would be the way to go you can build the sound proof envelope and have a solid 1 3/4" sound proof door between the HVAC and water heater for access. the rear speakers would be on either side of the door. Depending on how much real-estate you are willing to give up a double wall or offset studwall back there would be even better. Double wall you only give up 5" give or take.

trust me my cold air return to my HVAC is in hall right off my living room when AC comes on I need to turn volum up since units are directly above.

#69 ·
awesome! thanks for the info...I think this is the way Im going to go. Im going to measure it out tonight.to amke sure it will work.

thanks again for the insight!

#70 ·
Ok. If I flip the room I'll have 14'5" from permanent wall with a door behind the chairs in front of utilities. to permanent wall behind screen wall. I will still need to build the false wall so the screen will be about 2' closer. Don't think it's going to work

#72 ·
ok great!! Ill try it out..before I start construction...speaking of which..before I buy the materials I posted this in the soundproofing thread but...

for my ceiling (in an unfinished basement) I have quite a few pipes (water drain and feed) that are hung from the joists...my question is how will i run channel and clips if these are protruding doen? will I have to get them moved (big expense added)

you can see them in this pic:

#73 ·
I replyed over there as well you can put them in the soffit that you mount the projector to most folks match the soffit from the HVAC on both sides and the rear and front of the theater. I would not make them as deep as the HVAC on the left but still have them. I think I sent you something on soffits

#74 ·
Subscribed!!!

Now you will have to deal with me at this thread too.............:eek:

:p

#77 ·
so I WILL?AM doing atmos....I actually already have it all wired and up and running...and for anyone on the fence its amazing!! and I keep getting my date of drywalling pushed back by the wifey...so hopfully I can at least do the ceiling soon

also my very good friend is a cert plumber and he is coming by to see how much effort it will be to move the Hot water heater and HVAC about 6 feet to the left...that would be a huge help as it will lengthen the room a bunch

here is a pic or two of the atmos setup I have going...5.2.4

#78 · (Edited)
Ok so BIG update!!

The wife has finally agreed to let me have a different location of the basement for my build!! Best part is I can keep what I have until it's done so during construction I will still have a fully functioning HT in a different part of he basement :)

The area is 13'x16'x8 so slightly larger! And no hvac or pipes and water heater to deal with :)
Here it is:

That is the screen wall. The false wall will be in front of the sump pump hole. With only speakers back there on stands.

Vs original location :

What do you all think?

#79 ·
Ok so BIG update!!

The wife has finally agreed to let me have a different location of the basement for my build!! Best part is I can keep what I have until it's done so during construction I will still have a fully functioning HT in a different part of he basement :)
Yeah, lot's of luck with that. You'll never finish your dedicated theater with another temporary HT set up.. Trust me, I did the same thing, and now I'm 5 years into my dedicated HT build... :rolleyes: :D

That does look like a much nicer space to work with. Get measurements and post a plan to get feedback. Don't forget about HVAC, wiring, etc. during your planning. Good luck.

#81 ·
Not yet. Other Han the plans are being drawn up to calculate the cost for the new part of the basement. I think after I sel a few things I will have the money for ib3 clips and framing.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.