PVC Drain Pipe Soundproofing Materials - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PVC Drain Pipe Soundproofing Materials

I read a few threads where people report mass loaded vinyl as effective for killing water rushing sounds from pvc drain pipes. I'm wondering if there are cheaper, more readily available materials for wrapping pipes? I have 2 and 3" pipe, with the 3" pipe connecting to a toilet directly above the corner of the room I'm trying to soundproof. The water rushing noise is very noticeable and I might only be putting a standard drop-ceiling in so I don't expect my ceiling to block a ton of sound (I do have double drywall and gg up against the subfloor).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Is it possible to box in the drain line?
post #3 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You could try Dynamat.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #4 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Is it possible to box in the drain line?
Boxing in the 3" portion is reasonable since it 's only 1-2ft long in the corner. The 2" runs horizontal about 12ft and I wouldn't want to build anything big. What if I built a ply box that exactly fit around the pipe, then added gg/drywall? That would handle the length, but the bottom of the shower p-trap might be too low for me to add 1.5" of box to it, and that's where the noise is worst.

Boxing may be the solution for my project, but that doesn't fully answer my question. I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives to mlv (which seems to cost around $2.5/lb) for wrapping things. MLV is really dense, but many projects don't need dense, just heavy.

Even a trowel-grade roof coating would be much cheaper mass (<$1/LB) and might be faster than mlv if you didn't mind smearing it on. Just trying to think out of the box

Last edited by ivflight; 09-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 842
On one project we had an offensive drain stack coming into a theater space. We wrapped it with a layer of pricey Dynamat Extreme and covered with a box made with two layers of MDF with Green Glue between layers. The end result was significant improvement not total elimination.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7455.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	244049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7458.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	244057  
post #7 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt MLV is the answer.

I use to have a 3" ABS waste stack in the back corner of my room. I boxed it with 3/4" plywood, filled the cavity with Roxul,
then a double layer of 5/8" DD with GG. And got similar results to BIGmouthinDC. Significant improvement but not total
elimination.

Could the P trap be moved over?
post #8 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

2x8 joists and two layers of 5/8 drywall against the subfloor and I was barely able to keep the bottom of the p-trap from extending beneath the bottom of the joists. The 2" run also ends very close to the bottom of the joists. There's not better place for anything to move. My finished ceiling will be very close to the pipes.

I deal with 100+yr old houses. 2x8 joists, low head-room.

Encase the p-trap in concrete?
post #9 of 16 Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also used Dynamat on my PVC piping and it cut the resonant sound of water rushing by quite alot even before I added drywall and green glue.

I've seen small packages of Dynamat sold in auto stores that might be more cost effective for you.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I deal with a thirty year old house, with a 7'1" basement height and the floor joists are
an actual 1.5" x 7" so I do have a pretty good idea of what you are dealing with.

Do you have a floor plan that shows the P trap's location and a picture of the P trap and joist area?
You'd get very specific advice if we had this.

post #11 of 16 Old Today, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to bump a 6 month old thread, but I just got back into this project after having to switch my focus to other work.

The basic question was about soundproofing some drain pipes above a basement bedroom. The floor has double 5/8 drywall with green glue up against the original subfloor, AND 1/2" ply on top of the original subfloor with green glue, then the shower pan was set on mortar on top of that. You can hear the shower water beating down, and I'm pretty sure the noise is actually going through the drain pipe and not through the floor. I think most of the sound is coming through the walls of the 2" pvc right where it penetrates the drywall. The bottom of the P-trap is flush with the bottoms of the joists and that's as high as I could fit it. I'd like not to build anything too much lower. My original thought was to build a box around it with a very thin bottom (to save headroom) and fill it with cement, or jello, or whatever works.

The toiler flush sound is also an issue but I think I can box this in - I'll have to wait and see how my 2x4 wall fits in against the foundation wall.

I'm also still thinking that there's got to be a good heavy wrapping/coating material that's a lot cheaper than mlv.

Someone had asked for photos, and here they are:
(Photo notes: No, I didn't notch that joist. Some of that wiring is temporary.)

post #12 of 16 Old Today, 06:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

don't think you can permanently seal that threaded PVC joint nor a p-trap in a ceiling

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; Today at 06:48 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old Today, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure I can. I think I've probably seen hundreds if not thousands of tub/shower units that have no access to the p-trap - haven't you? If you can encase the p-trap in concrete in a basement floor then I don't see why I can't encase it in whatever in the ceiling.
post #14 of 16 Old Today, 08:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

good point on the P but what about the threaded joint?
post #15 of 16 Old Today, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

You may be right, code-wise. I'm really not sure. I'll likely have a drop ceiling so the plumbing will be "accessible" even if wrapped/encased in something. If if fails it's not as though it'll be a huge mystery inside of a wall somewhere that's been filling with mold for years. Someone (likely me) will just have to remove a ceiling tile and will immediately have access to the problem.

BTW, using the union joint wasn't just me being lazy - it was the only good way to maneuver the parts for gluing at the perfect angles given the clearances I had.

And before someone tries to call me on it: yes, my vent for that 2" p-trap is pushing it, distance-wise, but the plumbing has been working great for over a year now. The first thing I did after finishing the plumbing was flush the toilet and watch the water in the shower p-trap: didn't budge.
post #16 of 16 Old Today, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I doubt MLV is the answer.

Significant improvement but not total
elimination.
Fiber. Fiber helps with total eliminations.

....I'll see myself out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction