Where to start and recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Where to start and recommendations

Hey All,
This is the first time I've looked into doing a home theater and it looks like it can be a bit overwhelming. On the plus side I'll be building a new house in a year so I have time to plan and can do a lot from the beginning. On the down side the room I have is only 18x13 2/3 which is a bit smaller than I'd hoped. It also has one corner angled but I don't think it will make a difference on the build.

So I guess the first question is what do I need to do during the initial construction phase? I know I'm having all the HDMI and speaker wire run through the walls. I also plan on having the riser built in as well, though I'm not sure how big or at what height yet. I was told to use "Zero Sound Drywall" in there as well as a solid core door with weather stripping. For now the plan is to paint the screen on the wall in Behr's Silver Screen and then do a small flat black frame around it with curtains to the sides so that shouldn't need any work during construction. What else do I need to plan ahead?

The door is at the front side of the room so the riser will be the whole back. I'm hoping to fit two rows of seating but I'm not sure 18 feet is deep enough. I'm looking at the Fusion Jive seating as it looks to be 9.6 feet across for 4 seats, leaving just over 2 feet on the sides. It could be shifted to one side though if need be. If my calculations are correct, these seats would put the first rows head just over 9 feet from the screen. Is that reasonable? How big can I go with my screen at that distance? My wife would love to do one theater row in back and then bean bags in front for the kids but I want this to be an adult room so please tell me 2 rows is doable! Though, those seats are expensive and would probably eat half my budget for 8 of them.

After that's all done it looks to become a minefield. It looks like there's about a million options for projectors and receivers and speakers. Here's what I've looked at so far.

Projector: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030UB and Panasonic PT-AE8000. These are all in the same price range and I think would all do what I'm asking of them. This will probably be used for 75% movies and 25% gaming. Should I cross any of these off the list or consider any others?

Sound I ran into even more options and questions. I was recommended the Sony STRDH750 which for around $300 saves some cash. Then I looked at the Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 or 1000 units for the speakers. But really here I have no idea. I don't want to go crazy but I want decent sound as well.

Overall I'd like to spend about $8-10K for the entire setup. Does this seem possible? Or am I dreaming? Where should I save some money at and where should I splurge? Is there anything I can get placeholder stuff for and upgrade later? Or should I just buy what's in budget now and leave it alone?

I really appreciate any help I can get! Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upstairs Floorplan.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	244889  
Chris Tobolski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Because you asked...

I'd focus on one row of 3 (until you find others appreciate the room as much as you), go with the PT-AE8000 (only one I have experience with, couldn't be happier) and would consider going with Pioneers new Atmos reciever and complimentary 5.1.4 speaker set up with at least 2 subs (probably not Pioneer).

I just spent over half your budget...

Keeping noise in/out isn't relevant unless it is. Do you have neighbors on the same wall, kids below, light sleeping wife (you watch while she sleeps)... If not room treatments would be next on my list, especially a bass trap or 2.
brwsaw is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
brwsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Some one give Chris a second opinion...
brwsaw is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,906
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
Hey All,
This is the first time I've looked into doing a home theater and it looks like it can be a bit overwhelming. On the plus side I'll be building a new house in a year so I have time to plan and can do a lot from the beginning.
Congrats! Welcome to the madness!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
So I guess the first question is what do I need to do during the initial construction phase? I know I'm having all the HDMI and speaker wire run through the walls. I also plan on having the riser built in as well, though I'm not sure how big or at what height yet. I was told to use "Zero Sound Drywall" in there as well as a solid core door with weather stripping. For now the plan is to paint the screen on the wall in Behr's Silver Screen and then do a small flat black frame around it with curtains to the sides so that shouldn't need any work during construction. What else do I need to plan ahead?
HVAC planning. Make sure there is enough cooling in that room for the number of people you plan to hold - plus some. There absolutely needs to be a return in the room, since you'll be using the room with the door closed (and you'll want to seal the gaps around the door).

Pre-wiring is the other area - you'll want to get ample wiring to the projector location, the screen wall, and so on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
The door is at the front side of the room so the riser will be the whole back. I'm hoping to fit two rows of seating but I'm not sure 18 feet is deep enough. I'm looking at the Fusion Jive seating as it looks to be 9.6 feet across for 4 seats, leaving just over 2 feet on the sides. It could be shifted to one side though if need be. If my calculations are correct, these seats would put the first rows head just over 9 feet from the screen. Is that reasonable? How big can I go with my screen at that distance? My wife would love to do one theater row in back and then bean bags in front for the kids but I want this to be an adult room so please tell me 2 rows is doable! Though, those seats are expensive and would probably eat half my budget for 8 of them.
Flip the room around, put the screen on the opposite wall as the door. If you want to build a riser, put a step outside the room so the door and entry is at riser-level. Depending on your normal uses, you may not need a riser at all, and could just build a bar table with stools behind the front 'primary' row.

Two feet on each side of the recliners can be fine. My aisles are narrower than that, and it's not bad. 9' to the front row is also fine, and you'll size your screen based on those seating distances, not the other way around...

Regardless, be sure to get a power outlet in the floor so you can use powered recliners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
After that's all done it looks to become a minefield. It looks like there's about a million options for projectors and receivers and speakers. Here's what I've looked at so far.
LOOK, but DON'T BUY! You're 9+ months away from needing any of this gear, and 100% of those models will be replaced with next-year's version before you need it. Pricing will change, and certainly decline in some areas, and new stuff may change your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
Projector: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030UB and Panasonic PT-AE8000. These are all in the same price range and I think would all do what I'm asking of them. This will probably be used for 75% movies and 25% gaming. Should I cross any of these off the list or consider any others?
All are good - just look at the throw distances so you can plan a projector location that works for all of them (it shouldn't be a big deal - something ~12-15' from the screen wall). Use that as a guide, but DON'T BUY THE PROJECTOR until you are in the house, have the room ready, and are otherwise done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobolski View Post
Overall I'd like to spend about $8-10K for the entire setup. Does this seem possible? Or am I dreaming? Where should I save some money at and where should I splurge? Is there anything I can get placeholder stuff for and upgrade later? Or should I just buy what's in budget now and leave it alone?
Certainly can be done. Make up a budget, read a bunch of threads here to see what folks spent as a percentage of budget on the various pieces. As you get closer to move-in, start watching for deals on gear. Speakers are fine to buy well ahead of the move-in (as deals show up) as they aren't likely to be replaced with substantially better models next year. Projector and AVR - don't buy until you're ready to plug them in.

Jeff


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jautor is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - VPL-HW40ES, by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off