• 1 Post By M.T.Nest

post #1 of 26 Old 09-19-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Black Paint... paint... Paint....

I have been searching high and low on the forum for recommendations for the flattest black paint for my ceiling and screen wall. Four years ago, the Rosco Supersaturated Concentrated Base - Velor Black was the favorite. Is that still the case? Or has something better been found? I will be painting my new theater room next weekend, so any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I have been searching high and low on the forum for recommendations for the flattest black paint for my ceiling and screen wall. Four years ago, the Rosco Supersaturated Concentrated Base - Velor Black was the favorite. Is that still the case? Or has something better been found? I will be painting my new theater room next weekend, so any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Home Depot: Behr Paint. Tell them to search for Mouse Ears. It is Mickey Mouse black. Very dark. I saw it posted here and put it on my ceiling. Very black.
the_abbot likes this.

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #3 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
Home Depot: Behr Paint. Tell them to search for Mouse Ears. It is Mickey Mouse black. Very dark. I saw it posted here and put it on my ceiling. Very black.
I agree, it is what I used. Lays nice and very dark. You have to tell them it is in the system still. They will tell you it is not.
post #4 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I used the Rosco super saturated, it's about as black and matte as you get. Just don't touch it.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #5 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
The Home Depot I went to tried to do a "Search" for Mickey, Mouse, Mickey Mouse Ears, Mouse Black, and said they couldn't find it :-( I got, but haven't yet used, the darkest they had - something called Carbon I think, but can't attest to how black it is at this point. My ceiling will likely be painted soon, but I have essentially no reference - so, even if/when painted, I am not sure I'll be able to really tell.
post #6 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
The Home Depot I went to tried to do a "Search" for Mickey, Mouse, Mickey Mouse Ears, Mouse Black, and said they couldn't find it :-( I got, but haven't yet used, the darkest they had - something called Carbon I think, but can't attest to how black it is at this point. My ceiling will likely be painted soon, but I have essentially no reference - so, even if/when painted, I am not sure I'll be able to really tell.
That's because they don't make it anymore, they discontinued the entire Disney collection that this was in.

HOWEVER, if you want the blackest paint, just tell them "black". They can manually override the mixing machine to do a pure black. That's what I used. Color your primer to as dark as possible, and do get the home depot flat paint, just "black". It doesn't get any darker. Any other color will have tints of other stuff in it. I'll post a picture of mine below.

NOTE: I would highly recommend spraying! I repainted my room several times and kept getting awful stripes. The flat black from the Home Depot is the only black I could find that can be applied with a roller easily but it still isn't perfect. At the minimum, take some time to learn how to properly apply paint. Most people just slop paint on with a roller then are all proud because it doesn't look like total ass when they're finished. That's fine with beige. You can't get away with that crap with black. Make sure your nap is ALWAYS going in the right direction and use long smoothing strokes while the paint is still wet. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! !!!!!!

Be aware that this combination is so dark that it strains your eyes to read even with full lighting on. It is extremely difficult for me to even take a picture that looks decent no matter what the lighting. It is ridiculously dark. I love it but be aware if you go all out and even paint the ceiling like I did. If you don't want it quite so dark, go to Sherwin Williams and get their matte paint, spray it on, and leave the ceiling white.

Also be aware that once you do this on the walls it is kind of hard to find decor that matches. Lots of things that seem black in the store are actually really dark brown and it can clash. The only thing that looks good is decor that is a pure black or gray. Dark gold and pure bright white looks pretty nice with it. If you want a bunch of brown decor look for something with brown in it, such as Black Fox by Sherwin Williams.

This is what Home Depot pure flat black looks like below:

Last edited by corndogggy; 09-23-2014 at 02:24 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That is black....

I do think you have to get black outlet covers though. The white is searing ;-)
post #8 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
I do think you have to get black outlet covers though. The white is searing ;-)
I didn't expect to go this route when I built otherwise I would have. I was going to go with a bluish gray from Sherwin Williams with nice modern trim but hated it once it was up. Painted it something else and hated it. Did that 2 or 3 more times. Found a much darker color but then had stripes everywhere and it looked awful. Kept going darker and ended up with this, it's the only thing I found that works. Should have went pure black and sprayed from the beginning.

I do kind of like the white trim though, I live out in the middle of nowhere with no city lights, so when the interior lights go out it is so dark it is disorienting. The white trim lets me see where I am in the room without having to run a nightlight or something. Hopefully I'll have surrounds that cover the speaker outlets soon as well.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
walmart carries disney paint - and they have mouse ears -

but took the mouse ears swatch to lowes and had them color match in their valspar paint - used it on the screen wall and ceiling and will be doing the doors and trim as well - looks black to me -
post #10 of 26 Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I typed Mouse Ears

I checked today. They have it, but it is under Mouse Ears

Equipment: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds+Wides+Heights),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #11 of 26 Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Should also add that the biggest thing that sucks about black paint once it's up is that it shows everything. If your kids come by and lean up against the wall, or if you're moving furniture and get dust on your hand and then lean up against the wall, anything like that, it's not going to be right until you put another coat of paint up. You can't wipe the stuff down with a damp cloth, it will streak.
post #12 of 26 Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
Should also add that the biggest thing that sucks about black paint once it's up is that it shows everything. If your kids come by and lean up against the wall, or if you're moving furniture and get dust on your hand and then lean up against the wall, anything like that, it's not going to be right until you put another coat of paint up. You can't wipe the stuff down with a damp cloth, it will streak.
I am just planning to paint my ceiling... If I am also planning to do some 'cutting' of wood in my theater, so, I wait till that is done before painting the ceiling?
post #13 of 26 Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I am just planning to paint my ceiling... If I am also planning to do some 'cutting' of wood in my theater, so, I wait till that is done before painting the ceiling?
Generally speaking, black or not, I wouldn't paint a thing until you're done with any major construction. Even if sawdust wasn't an issue you may poke holes in the drywall while moving stuff and will have to patch. It's much easier to just wait if possible. Add sawdust combined with black paint to this issue and you definitely need to wait.
post #14 of 26 Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I typed Mouse Ears

I checked today. They have it, but it is under Mouse Ears
There is a girl at the depot that knew exactally what it was when I asked. I went back for more when there was other people working the paint area and they shook their head and said no when I asked for it, they don't have it in the system. I made them look under Mouse Ears and they found it. I watched them mix it. It is all the colors they have + black.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
There is a girl at the depot that knew exactally what it was when I asked. I went back for more when there was other people working the paint area and they shook their head and said no when I asked for it, they don't have it in the system. I made them look under Mouse Ears and they found it. I watched them mix it. It is all the colors they have + black.
Nice! I will make sure I ask for that specifically.
post #16 of 26 Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy View Post
Generally speaking, black or not, I wouldn't paint a thing until you're done with any major construction. Even if sawdust wasn't an issue you may poke holes in the drywall while moving stuff and will have to patch. It's much easier to just wait if possible. Add sawdust combined with black paint to this issue and you definitely need to wait.
The remaining construction is for my Theater Room Riser, and just cutting boards to the right size. I could do it outside maybe, but all my lumber & OSB sheets are already in the theater room... I'll definitely hold off on the black paint till after that is done!
post #17 of 26 Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
fwiw read this thread
Best way to wipe dust marks off Behr Paint...
I ended up putting a protective coat of "dead flat varnish" over my paint......
post #18 of 26 Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I will give anybody free advise here. If you use the Behr Mouse Ears from the Home Depot. I have gotten it in the flat matte finish which is the can with paint and primer and indeed if you get anywhere near it with your fingers, it will turn white. I just used a microfiber rag. I have hundreds of them for washing and waxing the cars. Just keep one in the theater. You don't need water or solutions. I use them on all my paint and gentle surfaces. You don't need any special varnish. Just a gentle wipe and any marks disappear.

http://www.behr.com/consumer/product...mium-plus-flat

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-M.../dp/B009FUF6DM

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-27-2014 at 09:28 AM.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
my mouse ears color matched at lowes with their valspar paint is holding up against my kids - since my room is not complete i just painted the ceiling and screen wall with it and am just projecting on the wall so my younger kids are always reaching for the image and running their hand on the wall and i have had no issue and it is flat paint -

i like the cloth idea if it is ever needed
post #20 of 26 Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1 on the microfiber towel.
post #21 of 26 Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For my ceiling I used Sherwin Williams Promar 200 flat black over Glidden grey primer. I had a hell of a time with roller marks and it was all due to the glidden primer. That stuff was very thick. When I do it again, I'm just going to use a paint/primer in one and do 3 coats.

For my trim and entrance way, I used Behr flat enamel in black. It's one step up from pure flat, and hand prints, brush-ups etc, wipe away easily with a standard damp cloth.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #22 of 26 Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
For my ceiling I used Sherwin Williams Promar 200 flat black over Glidden grey primer. I had a hell of a time with roller marks and it was all due to the glidden primer. That stuff was very thick. When I do it again, I'm just going to use a paint/primer in one and do 3 coats.

For my trim and entrance way, I used Behr flat enamel in black. It's one step up from pure flat, and hand prints, brush-ups etc, wipe away easily with a standard damp cloth.
I used the Behr paint and primer, but what I did was color match the primer. I used killz and just had it colored to match the colors I used. Worked great.

I painted my theater after construction finished, but then I had a leak from a new roof I had put on over the theater. I then decided to have a professional outfit do it over again since the ceiling had to be done again, not to mention that I thought it could have be painted better. What I found out was make sure you paint the black at the cooler times of the day, early morning or later in the evening when the sun is down. You can also add a little water to paint if you are getting streaks. I found the Mouse Ears with the paint and primer lays very nice. The painters I hired liked it allot as I asked them to use it.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

What color grey primer did you use? Is it common practice to use a darker primer for the black ceiling?
post #24 of 26 Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
What color grey primer did you use? Is it common practice to use a darker primer for the black ceiling?
You could ask them to mix the primer as dark grey as possible. I don't think the exact shade is important.

I used Valspar Cracked Pepper in a matte (flat) base. It's pretty black.

Funny: I just googled Valspar Cracked Pepper to make sure I remembered the name right, and just for grins I opened the "images " serrch results. I found a couple of pictures from my AVS Forum build thread...

I'm still loving the color. The display just seems to hang suspended in space.
the_abbot likes this.
post #25 of 26 Old 10-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any recommendation on a dark gray matte color?
post #26 of 26 Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I ended up using Porter paint's "Black magic" in flat. Seems pretty dark to me. But I definitely agree with the previous posts about it showing pretty much everything. It is very hard to wipe off or clean a flat paint, so as others have said, it is probably best to wait if you can until near the end of construction before painting it. You could more easily clean something like eggshell sheen, but then it will reflect quite a bit of light... not ideal for the ceiling.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page