Carpet walls (Yes! or No!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help on deciding to carpet my HT walls. My room is 25 x 13'6". I have found a carpet local vendor that has a catalog of acoustical products for walls. My biggest fear in getting carpet on the walls is my room would be totaly dead! I am open for anyone out there that can help me make up my mind. I have written David B. in the past about this issue. I believe he said that The Nate sounded great with the carpet on the walls.

Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I was a former believer in having some reflectivity in the rear portion of a theater, to give it more of a "big theater" rear soundstage. But with the advent of 5.1, and beyond, pinpoint clarity is more popular. This supports the "dead theater" concept. No more reflectivity of the walls.

Why don't you check out the panels on the AVScience website? They're the best I've seen and should provide better acoustic control. Also, you might check out "Mike and Sally's" theater, also on AVScience. They used panels similar to these as well.

Ted

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ted:

If you had to rate wall treatment waht would you do:
1. Plain Drywall
2. Carpet
3. Panels

I saw the panels in Mike's HT, they look great.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
To answer your question directly, Drywall is needed for some bass management, I would THEN apply the acoustic panels, no carpet. I sent you a little article I'm writing regarding Theater Construction.

Ted

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #5 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're looking for a cheap way out, I did my walls with the automible type black carpet sold in Home Depot.

I'm very satisifed with the results. This stuff is pretty easy to work with since the roll is only 6 feet wide.

Not only has it improved the acoustics of the room for h.t. purposes, but my screen really stands out against the black walls.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 06:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
I did carpet because when you walk into a local theater what do they have up? That's right...Carpet! (or drapes) So, I wanted the most theater like sound and thought...hummm...if it works for them, why not for me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I love the sound I have with the carpet and the 7.1 audio from the Lexicon DC-2. Just my .02.

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science Webmaster
www.avscience.com
www.bott.net

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #7 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 08:05 PM

Another + for carpet...it is inexpensive. For a couple of bucks per linear foot (6' wide), the auto carpet is much cheaper than any panel solution I have seen (about $.5/sf, $4.50/sy, or $16/4'x8'). We are putting up carpet and, if we decide we need more sound control, we can either pull it all out, pull some out, or keep it all and mount panels in select locations over or under the carpet...so our options are open and the risk is minimal ($400ish if we were to rip it all out).
post #8 of 10 Old 06-29-1999, 08:27 PM

Installation tips for those planning on a DIY auto carpet decor:

Dont use staples. This stuff is pretty thin and silver staples will show through black easily. Use DAP Contact cement, or a similiar product.

Before installing, note the grain of the carpet. Cut out a piece to length, tack it in place and observe. Now, Reverse the direction (top to bottom). You'll notice that it looks either flater or sharper. You will also notice that if you run your hand through it, it feels plush in one direction and not the other.

Take this into consideration before you install. Regardless of which direction you choose, make sure you install all the pieces going the same way. If you don't, when the installation is complete, you will not only see the seams, but the sections hung in opposing directions will look very out of place.

1) Roll out a few inches past the desired drop, and cut.
2) Using a smooth roller, apply a layer of contact cement on the wall, top to bottom, and a few inches past the width of your drop.
3) Apply the cement to the back of the carpet. Wait 10-15 minutes.
4) Very carefully, and prefereably with 2 people, position the carpet in place. Try to get it right the first time, as the contact cement makes a nice mess when you remove this stuff to reposition it.
5) Cut off your excess
6) Use some of the excess trimings to fill in gaps between sections, if there are any.
7) Put up the adjacent pieces, and then roll over the whole thing with a clean smooth roller with some pressure.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-1999, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info.

My last question is to everyone with carpet. Do you have a problem with little or no reflections for your surround speakers. I have heard that you loose that "sound bounce/reflection" when you have carpet with dipole speakers.

Any takers?

[This message has been edited by Audiophile (edited June 30, 1999).]
post #10 of 10 Old 06-30-1999, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Audiophile,

Personally, I like the idea of acoustic panelling over carpeted walls. Some rear surround speakers that are bipolar or dipolar tend to sound better with a certain amount reflectivity. Also, with acoustic panels, you can choose panels that either absorb or reflect sounds, and at different frequency ranges. Just my $.02 cents.

DMan
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page