Screen wall acoustics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen wall acoustics

My theater has been "finished" for a few years, just getting a few small adjustments and improvements from time to time. One of the things that always bothered me is that my screen wall, which is a 100% acoustically-transparent combination of an AT screen and GOM panels, allows you to see the through the GOM to the speaker stands and cabling when I have the Imax lights on. I decided this past weekend that I need to do something about that.

The obvious choice is to back the GOM panels with some sort of opaque cloth. After a quick trip to the fabric store I came to the conclusion that I'm not going to find a cloth that is both AT and opaque enough to achieve my desired result. The best option seems to be a velour or velvet, similar to what I used to cover the masking panels.

The question is whether adding this less-than-AT material around the edges of the screen is going to have a significant effect on acoustics. If so, then what are my alternatives?

Compared to other screen wall designs, my wall has a lot of screen surface area and very little panel area, so the % of wall that will change is relatively small. You can see the layout of the screen wall and speakers on page 3 of my build thread linked below. And the finished wall is on page 4.

Any thoughts on whether or not I'll be OK with my current plan?
- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I would love to know the answer on this question too... I'll have a decent amount of area around my screen, and was questioning whether to use Linacoustic on the screen wall, if it was being covered with Black Velvet material of some sort which is not Acoustically Transparent.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Apparently @RapalloAV has found some acoustically transparent black velvet. Yes, that seems like a contradiction to me also, but he is convinced he has some. Maybe PM him.

Acoustic Frontiers: design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Apparently @RapalloAV has found some acoustically transparent black velvet. Yes, that seems like a contradiction to me also, but he is convinced he has some. Maybe PM him.

I know everyone will say this isn't acoustic but that's ok, you can....

I'm not the one that discovered this velvet, I found it in a thread on this forum somewhere.

Also the UK forums mention it. There is a lot of talk about the product.

One has to be carful with this product as some sell it and its shiny. This one is super super black, and blacker than the most expensive velvet I have bought in the past. Its very thin, yet still has a velvet pile on it. It does not have the thick shiny normal backing that most velvets do. Its so thin you can see through it easily, its almost like a gauze. Blow through it and the air passes easily.

Im told don't get it through anyone else except this company in the UK. I cant buy it in NZ, so I will import it for my new masking.

I have a sample and it blocks light even more than my very expensive black masking I previously had. Its a good product!
http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/s...t-black-devore
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page