AVS Forum banner

Single row platform/riser depth (only row of seats)

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  srh545 
#1 ·
I've searched high and low looking for opinions but really haven't found any threads on risers/platforms for a only a single row of reclining seats. I'm turning a portion of our basement into a 'man/cave' home theater and there will be only one row of seats (no second row) in the 18'x13' room.

I'm consciously choosing to add a riser for 2 reasons: My buddy has one in his home (single row of recliners; no second row) and I think the screen will be easier to see with a little additional height. His room is roughly the same dimensions. I already have the screen mounted and it feels like there is some neck strain. I think a platform will make viewing more comfortable.

I have Octane Turbo XL700 reclining that are 69" long when fully extended. I'm planning to leave about 4" between the wall and seats. The riser will run the entire 18' width of the room, it's just the depth that has me puzzled. I'm fighting for every inch and do not want to over build.

All your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

#4 ·
My last theater had those dimensions and orientation. Definitely do the riser....I battled with doing one for years, and I'm sorry I didn't.

#5 ·
What is your strategy for acoustical treatments for the rear wall?

Depending on how close you are either absorptive or diffusive is recommended.

(Random thoughts as typing on Thanksgiving afternon wating for turkey to be served.... :) )
Also, for less modal issues it's better to be farther from the rear wall than what you are thinking (ear/eye), 20"-24" is better than 4".
What size is your screen? 16x9 or scope or?
With 18' length that would put your first row 16' from the screen if mounted flush, or are you having false wall 2' from front then say 14' from screen.
(You state mounted but not how)
Still kinda far from the screen IMO, you will lose the immersive HT experience.

Did you play with the riser calculator here?? If not do so.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I see that there is more that goes into this than I realized! I did not play with the riser calculator but I'll give that a try next.I have the screen (16:9, 110") mounted to the ceiling may be 2" from the wall.MY biggest concern is the loss of space. BIGmouthinDC, 72" - 78" sounds about right. I'm trying not to over think it but I may have to get serious and take a real hard look at this!:)

#9 ·
You are over thinking this. Your screen will not "be easier to see" with a riser - you simply move the screen to the correct height to match your seating.

If you only have 1 row of seats, it doesn't matter how high the riser is - the riser height calculator does not apply. What does apply is the recommendation that eye level in your first row (in your case your only row) of seating is at about 1/3 the height of the screen - from the bottom of the screen. So if you know your screen size, figure out how high you want your riser, measure eye height and mount your screen to match that height. Or figure out how high you want your screen, and build your riser to meet the 1/3 eye height recommendation.

IMHO, 110" is way too small for an 18' room. You have many options to go bigger. I sit 11.5' from a 135" screen, and it's awesome.

#10 ·
I believe this room is only 13' long, not 18. The OP said the width was 18' and the riser would run the entire width. That means He'll be between 10-12 feet from the screen most likely.

#12 ·
yea I missed the 13' long and 18' wide spec in the OP statement.....that's what I get for AVS surfing during a family gathering, lesson learned is there is a time to TURN OFF ALL THINGS AVS, and that's when at Thanksgiving gatherings....

When I read "18'x13' room" since so used to length first then width totally overread the "The riser will run the entire 18' width of the room"...

My comments on not being so slammed close to rear wall still stand from room acoustics standpoint....OP if you put your eyes at 11 feet from screen that will put you 2 ft from rear wall....have fun making your decision based on data and input from others.....

#15 · (Edited)
Thought I would share a couple pics of the platform as the room gets finished. I decided to go with 16' wide x 6.5' deep. Although it feels over built the extra space will come in handy. I have Octane Turbo XL 700 chairs and while I can place them almost against the wall, I'll probably leave 6" - 10" of clearance so the two end chairs arent against the in wall speakers which will place them about 11' or so from the screen.

Because of the size of the platform I decided to build in an AV rack to keep the wall equipment free. That leaves about 6.5' of walking room in front of the riser.

When viewing the screen, the platform makes a huge difference.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.