Acoustical treatment behind AT screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acoustical treatment behind AT screen

I have an AT screen that covers wall to wall horizontally and goes from ceiling to about 3' from floor where a sub blocks most of it. It is 3/4" thick wood frame hanging like a picture on the wall with in-wall speakers behind it.

I made the mistake of not doing anything for acoustical treatment. I'm looking to do some reasonable treatments without ripping everything apart. My room is very small at 9w x 15D x 7H and couches are against the walls so there is limited options.

I'm looking at putting a couple pairs of 4x2x2" absorption panels on the side walls at first reflection. I'm looking at either another one across the back wall above the rear couch or some form of diffuser. Diffusers are expensive and stick out a good 7-8" which would hit people in the back of the head if they lean back on the back couch.

I know I should do something to the front wall but as the screen covers most of it there isn't much I can do. I thought about getting something very thing to put behind the screen knowing its value would be limited.

My ceiling is a drop ceiling and the floor is pergo. I know hard floors are bad but people spill things too often (mostly me ) and my cat will wreck any carpet I put down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-05-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Linacoustic would fit your space. Can't speak to how it would work, but it has been a staple of home theater builds since I've been around.

Fill out your profile to include your location and you may get some suggestions on where to purchase it.. or if you're lucky maybe somebody close to you has some extra.

Tim
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

I have updated my profile. I live in New Hampshire.

Is linacoustic black enough to blend in behind the AT screen or would I need to buy a black fabric to go over it? By the looks I would need some fabric as well.

I can get 25' of 1/2" on ebay for $125.64 shipped. Bit pricey but I know this kind of thing isn't cheap. The $44 shipping is the worst part. It's also about triple what I would need.

I could also get 1" stuff and shim my screen out another 1/2" if it is worth the extra.

Would cutting 2 or more pieces 4'x2' and stacking them up in a wall mounted absorber panel be somewhat "equal" to using roxul rockboard absorbers?

Another question. I have a 12" high riser in the back of my room. I didn't fill it with anything when I built it due to a VERY tight budget at the time. Should I open it back up and fill it with insulation?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. linacoustic is black. You can search this forum to find examples of it installed.

The ebay price is high. You are probably better off finding a local supplier and buying an entire roll.

As far as 1/2" versus 1", that is a question that is only really answered with an acoustic design. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head (maybe one of the experts could). All I know is some treatment is better than none.

If you search you will find that in some designs two layers are in fact installed with a layer of 6mil poly between them. So yes, two layers can be effectively used in some situations. How that compares to another product is not something I could tell you.

Yes, you should fill the riser with pink fluffy. Absent any filling it will act as what has been described as a "drum".

Tim
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Check out Bigmouth in DC and Spaceman's threads. Mine is in my signature as well.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
Yes, you should fill the riser with pink fluffy. Absent any filling it will act as what has been described as a "drum".

Tim
Fill as you would when insulating something or jamb pack it in there tight?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

No, just normal fill. No need to jam pack it.

If your joists are 2x12 use R-30 unfaced.

Tim
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

It's actually 13" tall or something funky. I remember deciding not to do the standard 12" right on the floor technique for some reason which I don't recall now. It's 2x6 on 2x6 legs. That I remember. I remember coaxing my wife into sitting on a chair perched on top of a bunch of 2x4's all stacked up trying to see how high it needed to be for her to see over my head. She didn't like it much

I still could probably use the r-30 unfaced and let it lay on the floor and the studs would still hold it in place.
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Because I'm limited on space, I really don't want to put 4" deep wall absorbers with 2" of roxul rockboard and 2" of air. I assume the air-gap is critical in that the sound makes it through and then bounces all around inside the air gap?

Would it be better to do like 1" of linacoustic with a 1" air gap than a 2" rockboard with no air gap?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page