AVS Forum banner

Are these paint colors going to be dark enough for HT?

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  John Robinson 
#1 ·
Who would have thought picking out colors would be the hardest choice in a home theater design? Anyway - will this color scheme be dark enough?

Sample paint on walls - the largest squares on the right is what I'm wondering about

Photoshop stretching the colors out -

Here's the home theater that we're modeling ours after -

See less See more
#2 ·
If your theater has ANY purpose besides movies, such as sitting for music listening for any extended duration, the go with lighter matte colors.

Dark colors will make you quite sleepy in a room with no windows. If this is not a concern, then anything including matte black is ok. The effect on picture quality of using a total black room is really not important enough to make a room completely unliveable in my opinion.

#11 ·
They are all custom made wood frames with fabric stapled around on the back side. If they will be in front of speakers you should use a speaker grill material or something like GOM (Guilford of Maine) FR701. If not in front of speakers or just in front of a subwoofer I use a black velvet, currently I'm using Joanne fabrics Royalty 3 black velvet.

#10 ·
Personally, I like the colors you've selected and they are plenty dark...............

I refused to paint my ceilings black but succumbed to AVS Forum member pressure and placed black Sensa fabric in my ceiling cloud. You'll appreciate room more with inviting colors.........wife uses room for reading and she loves it! Great get away from rest of house........if I used black on ceiling, wife would probably read elsewhere.

#13 · (Edited)
black velvet just looks blacker than black paint, it can also be part of an acoustically transparent screen wall with an acoustically transparent screen surrounded by the Black panels. Looking at your history of posts I see you were exploring this option.

To answer one of your questions just, around the screen.

Be sure to grab a coupon off the Joanne website, you can usually save between 40-50%, if it isn't in the store you can order online.

Back to your room have you calculated the riser height based on screen size and do you have a plan for the front of the theater. How about a picture?

#14 ·
We went with an 8" high riser. I'll try and get a pic of the screen wall posted tomorrow. I've stuck on an iPad the last few days and it's about to drive me crazy.

Would black paint work ok if I don't want to go to the trouble/expense of going with the fabric? I may revisit it later but I'm ready to get this remodeling job over with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.