Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Unread 12-21-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Moving home theatre across the planet

Hi all.

Not necessarily a 'building' post, but a 'moving and rebuilding' post. There's no real forum for this: I need to move my entire household, including of course all my HIFI, from Europe to Australia.

This is the main system with my precious Denon S1 components.
There are in total 31 speakers, 5 tube amps, and about 15 other components involved: 10 Speakers and the tube amps are from Ian Schneller's Specimen Products in Chicago and the other speakers are Infinity (mainly Kappa) in all kinds and sizes.

In order for everything to move, it is going to be packed up in an ocean freight container, and will float the seven seas for a couple of months. I am extremely anxious about this. Especially since there seems to be no insurance provider willing to provide any insurance against vibration damage, electrical damage, atmospherical damage and pest damage.

Is there anyone with experience in this? I'm sure temperatures in the container can get pretty high, but maybe also pretty low. I'm sure it will be vibrating like crazy. No idea about humidity. Is there any special instructions I should give to the people coming to pack everything up?

Apart from that, I look very much forward to finding a home with space to really build an auditorium appropriate to the quality and class of this equipment. I'll be sure to document it on these forums.

cheers,
whiter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Unread 12-21-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
wow, triple bag and over pack with foam. Id be nervous as well, look into possibly sending by air, may be more expensive, but wont be bouncing in 30 ft seas, moisture and slammed around when loading and unloading containers. You could insure that with the carrier I would think
post #3 of 9 Unread 12-21-2014, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
wow, triple bag and over pack with foam. Id be nervous as well, look into possibly sending by air, may be more expensive, but wont be bouncing in 30 ft seas, moisture and slammed around when loading and unloading containers. You could insure that with the carrier I would think
The S1 components have proper flight cases. But still. I'm sure everything will be reasonably secured inside the container... But still. (again)

There's no way I can afford the air transport sadly. Took me months to get funding for appropriate sea freight and 'general insurance' approved by my new employer over there.
post #4 of 9 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anything from overseas obviously travels that way, but I get your apprehension. I wish you luck in the shipping and your new job and residence. Visit to Australia is on my bucket list
post #5 of 9 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Isn't the electrical service different?
post #6 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

post #7 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Australia's household voltage is 230 volts / 50 Hz. Not sure what your native country voltage/ hertz is running at.... Check the nameplates on your equipment before plugging in.
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, that's the same. Just need new plugs on everything. I hope the standard fuses / circuit breakers in the meter cupboards are good enough for the surge that the power amps produce when switching on. In my current place there are 10A circuit breakers that break when I switch the 2nd POA-S1 on. When I switch the circuit breaker back all is fine and up and running. Quite annoying, but only a temporary place for a couple more months so whatever...
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I guess I'm on the other side and wouldn't be as worried. Most of my equipment was probably shipped by sea at some point to the US, as long as it is packaged well I don't see the issue. Might be worth it to throw some desiccant in as well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page