Harms Family Theater - Build - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 47 Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Harms Family Theater - Build

Hi everyone, I thought I'd use this as both an introductory post and the start of my theater build. My name is David Harms, I live in Katy Texas, I am married, have two children, by day I am a software architect; my primary hobby is woodworking. Recently I am rediscovering my love for movies and have convinced the family to convert our upstairs game room into a home theater.

The decision to convert set of a chain of event to buy new furniture for and re-organize my kids bedrooms to move all of their toys into them, we've completed that and we are off and running; this build wont be a gut and build like a number of the builds on this forum, but will involve a face lift to the room and over time improvements to the room, hope you enjoy watching, I'm going to enjoy the journey of building it.

Before

Target Layout

Equipment List
Elite 125" Tab Tensioned screen
Benq w1070
Yamaha RX-V373
Polk RTI6 (fronts)
Polk CSI5 (center)
JBL northridge surrounds
Samsung Blu-Ray Player - model unknown.
Western Digital Play

Version 1 - After
will post photos when version 1 is complete, for now here are some notes on what I am considering version one. I know the openings on the back wall will cause a lot of sound a light leakage, I'm working on convincing the love of my life that these should be closed in and a door installed, its a process , version one punch list for now:

- hang blackout curtains on screen wall to cover window
- recessed lighting - I believe I will need to remove the fan to hang the projector.
- paint walls and ceiling [complete]
- hang screen - 125" Tensioned Motorized [complete]
- hang projector - Benq w1070 [complete]
- run all cabling to back wall cubby (equipment corner) [complete]
- hang / setup speakers - 5.1 for now [complete]
- first row seating - for now recycled furniture from around the house. [complete]

Future Next Steps
- upgrade surrounds
- Central remote
- Trim across screen wall
- Acoustical treatment
- Built in rack
- HTPC

Build Index
- Paint
- cabling (part 1)(part 2)
- Hanging Elite 125" tab tension screen & Benq w1070 Projector
- projector calibration screen grabs (settings used)
- Front Speaker Stands
- Acoustic Panels (fabric samples)
Al Toid likes this.

Last edited by HTownTheater; 04-04-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Paint and Front Speakers

Painters came yesterday to paint, I went with sherwin williams Turkish Tile for the walls and Storm Cloud for the ceiling, both in flat.

Images for back wall and screen wall attached.

Also, just arrived are upgrades for my front speakers which will allow me to use my current JBL northridge as surrounds to complete a 5.1 setup. I got the RTI6 from Polk on close-out at over 50% off, couldn't pass it up.
speakers image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010227_1024.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	440530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010226_1024.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	440538   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010232_1024.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	440546  

Last edited by HTownTheater; 02-02-2015 at 09:31 AM.
post #3 of 47 Old 12-25-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 159
It's always great to see another Houstonian on here. We have an active group here. We did have two meets this year and hopefully we will do a couple more in 2015. You've got a great design. Welcome to AVS!
post #4 of 47 Old 12-25-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hello and welcome. I think you have already started with a positive. You had said this is a journey. You are 100% correct in that statement and as with most theaters it is a WIP (work in progress). I really like the colors and this will go a long way in the overall enjoyment of a theater (darker colors) and if you had a pj in there prior to painting it darker you would be amazed of how much difference it makes, trust me it does. You have come to the right place AVS is chock full of people that have a wealth of info on all things HT. Tap into it and learn lots.

On your long term plans of closing up the room overall I think is fine, however if you would for the short term just hang (tastefully of course) heavy draperies across the openings or even have the entire rear wall covered this way I think would make a big difference with the light leakage without a huge time or cost investment with construction.

I do have one suggestion if you can I would try to have all three of your front speakers match. It helps to have them timbre matched so that panning scenes (when going through the front set of speakers from left to right) are seamless and there are not any noticeable differences in how the speakers sound. If you can do this great, if not then no biggie, just a suggestion for future reference.

Again welcome to this thing we call HT, it truly can be a maddening experience and at the same time immensely rewarding. Oh and the key phrase here on AVS pics or it didn't happen.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-25-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
It's always great to see another Houstonian on here. We have an active group here. We did have two meets this year and hopefully we will do a couple more in 2015. You've got a great design. Welcome to AVS!
7channelfreak, thank you, looking forward to interacting and meeting some new folks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

On your long term plans of closing up the room overall I think is fine, however if you would for the short term just hang (tastefully of course) heavy draperies across the openings or even have the entire rear wall covered this way I think would make a big difference with the light leakage without a huge time or cost investment with construction.

I do have one suggestion if you can I would try to have all three of your front speakers match. It helps to have them timbre matched so that panning scenes (when going through the front set of speakers from left to right) are seamless and there are not any noticeable differences in how the speakers sound. If you can do this great, if not then no biggie, just a suggestion for future reference.

Again welcome to this thing we call HT, it truly can be a maddening experience and at the same time immensely rewarding. Oh and the key phrase here on AVS pics or it didn't happen.
RTROSE thanks for the welcome, I agree on the speakers my next upgrade will be the center channel to the Polk, but this will have to do for now. on the curtains my wife had the same idea, I may order a second set when I order the ones for the screen wall.
post #6 of 47 Old 12-25-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Just want to say Merry Christmas to everyone, oh and santa was good to me too this year, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1225141140_1024.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	441082  
post #7 of 47 Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownTheater View Post
Just want to say Merry Christmas to everyone, oh and santa was good to me too this year, see attached.
Sweet! Gotta love that fat man in a red suit. Nice guy! :-)

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #8 of 47 Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

unboxed the benq w1070 last night and performed a quick test to see what the size would be like at 125", I'm happy I stayed with that size and didn't go down to 100".

All the cabling should be here from monoprice tomorrow and the screen here on Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1227142303_1024.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	445818  
post #9 of 47 Old 12-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownTheater View Post
unboxed the benq w1070 last night and performed a quick test to see what the size would be like at 125", I'm happy I stayed with that size and didn't go down to 100".

All the cabling should be here from monoprice tomorrow and the screen here on Tuesday.
Nice!!!! You'll be in business soon. Looking forward to your impressions on you new projector.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-28-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Rut ro Shaggy! The first rule of theater building has just been broken. Now that the projector has been unboxed no further progress will happen.

Regards,

RTROSE
NightSkyMurals and Gary147852 like this.

post #11 of 47 Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Rut ro Shaggy! The first rule of theater building has just been broken. Now that the projector has been unboxed no further progress will happen.
Ha Ha, a fair point
post #12 of 47 Old 12-30-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Monoprice order delivered yesterday:

Screen delivered today:

Build Update:

A friend of mine stopped by to help run all of the speaker wire, we completed all the 5.1 runs:

Hung and wired the surrounds, I'll put some black shrink wrap on these to clean the wires up a bit more.:

I'm waiting on a second order from monoprice with the rest of the brackets and wall plates to wrap up the cabling.
post #13 of 47 Old 12-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Countdown to July

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Subscribing and being a fly-on-the-wall. Love that blue, gorgeous!
post #14 of 47 Old 01-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great Projector Choice

For the money, you absolutely can't beat the BenQ W1070. I've had mine about a year, and it throws a great picture. It's great for movies, but I especially like it for sports.

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
post #15 of 47 Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Subscribing and being a fly-on-the-wall. Love that blue, gorgeous!
Thanks, appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions View Post
For the money, you absolutely can't beat the BenQ W1070. I've had mine about a year, and it throws a great picture. It's great for movies, but I especially like it for sports.
That's what I am hoping, I did a lot of research on budget projectors and this one seemed to come out on top no matter how I sliced it.
post #16 of 47 Old 01-02-2015, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great build so far. I just bought a house in Seabrook and I'm about to start my build. I'm still hung up on which projector to buy, but I'm leaning towards to 1070.
post #17 of 47 Old 01-02-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpsd View Post
Great build so far. I just bought a house in Seabrook and I'm about to start my build. I'm still hung up on which projector to buy, but I'm leaning towards to 1070.
Thanks! I'll let you know on the projector once its all running. research tells me it wont compete with the projectors that are several thousand but will give damn good results given the price point. Check out projectorcentral.com and compair with the other projectors at its price point. http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070.htm
post #18 of 47 Old 01-03-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I love Monoprice, the best kept (not so secret) webstore on the interwebs. I tell everyone about monoprice and their prices. When I was building I was a very adept web scrounger, scouring the www for all things HT at the best prices. Looking good and glad to see it is staring to come together. I see there is progress happening even though you unboxed the PJ.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #19 of 47 Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hanging the screen and projector

I had two critiria for hanging the screen. one, hang it under the sloped portion of the ceiling to maximize viewing distance, two, mount it from the ceiling and not the wall to allow for ceiling to floor curtains to be installed and operated with out interference. I thought about a number of options and decided making my own bracket which returns the ceiling from its angle back to 90 degree's was the best option.

I start buy cutting some 2x2 stock at an angle that brings the ceiling back to 90 degrees. this angle was 55 degrees.

prime and paint them to match the ceiling

attached to ceiling, you can see here how this brings the mounting surface for the screen parallel to the floor.

install the screen center to the room. The plan is to install trim across the room that hides the ceiling mount and the screen housing.

the screen needed to be shimmed slightly, to do so I used some cut washers, slightly unscrewed the screen, slid the washer in and tightened. I got this idea off this forum somewhere, unfortunately I couldn't find the original poster to give them credit.

I picked up a projector mount from monoprice, the projector itself (benq w1070) has vertical adjustment but no horizontal adjustment, this means you have to get the lens centered on the screen when mounting it. I calculated the mount location by finding the screen center and offsetting it by the offset of the lens from the mount location on the projector.

Ceiling plate installed, lagged to ceiling joist

extension pole and projector installed and leveled

all aligned, yes, the fan light is blocking some of the image and will need to come down.

post #20 of 47 Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Completing initial equipment setup

I've gotten the room into a useable space; we'll see how much that slows down its progress . To be honest I'm out of funds at the moment and doing this as I have the money. Next step is recessed lighting which will probably happen in February until then here's the progress I've made and I'll be watching some movies!!

Testing all the connections prior to buttoning up the wall plate:

Wall buttoned up:

Temporary speaker setup while I build some stands:

Because I have a Yamaha AVR, I use its YPAO feature to calibrate the speakers:

Removed the light fixture from the fan because it was blocking the projector path; for now the source of light in the room is a photography light as needed. I'm still trying to decide if I will ultimately get rid of the fan; for now it will stay.

I'm using an old AV stand we had; eventual I'd like to build a rack out in the wall:

An eclectic set of previous used furniture that we had, it works for now... The plan is to get new furniture for our living room and use those couches, then eventually theater seats.

And our first movie watching was a double feature from redbox blu-ray; Planes Fire and Rescue and The Equalizer

Last edited by HTownTheater; 01-09-2015 at 10:57 PM.
post #21 of 47 Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Looks great. Nice job on the wiring and labeling. Nice and clean.
post #22 of 47 Old 01-10-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looks good! I'm starting my theater now, just waiting to save a couple bucks to buy the 1070. Are you satisfied with monoprice? I might get my wire and connectors from them. Also, I did find this post about the 1070 that might be helpful for your settings.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/ben...tings.1761516/
post #23 of 47 Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikinz View Post
Looks good! I'm starting my theater now, just waiting to save a couple bucks to buy the 1070. Are you satisfied with monoprice? I might get my wire and connectors from them. Also, I did find this post about the 1070 that might be helpful for your settings.

very happy with monoprice, I bought all of my cables, connectors, wall plates from them. much more economical versus others and quality seems high. I am using their active (RedMere) 30 ft HDMI for the link to the projector.

Thanks for the link. I also picked up the WOW calibration disk but haven't run through it yet.
post #24 of 47 Old 01-10-2015, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
Looks great. Nice job on the wiring and labeling. Nice and clean.
Thanks, I'm happy with the way it is turning out!
post #25 of 47 Old 01-16-2015, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikinz View Post

Heres a few screen shots with the out of the box modes and as well as these settings on "user1"; I'm very happy with these settings, see what you think:
(photos taken with Nikon D3100 aperture mode, f:5 ISO:400)

Standard:

Cinema:

User 1:

Standard:

Cinema:

Dynamic

User 1:
post #26 of 47 Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Those are great shots. I used to be a canon guy, but over Christmas best buy had a great deal on the D7000. So I sold my canon and picked it up. Very impressed with Nikon pictures.

I do like the user 1 settings. The colors look more realistic to me. I can't wait to pick up that projector. It looks like it's well worth the money.
post #27 of 47 Old 01-18-2015, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Speaker Stands

Finished up the front speaker stands. These were built out of left over walnut I had from a furniture project so they didn't cost me anything "extra".

pre-finish:

post-finish:

LR speaker stand (after finish):

Center:

I used some screen door tabs on the back of the center channel to keep it from sliding off when angled:

The center channel angle is adjusted using set screws in threaded inserts:
post #28 of 47 Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Very nice room, similar in size to mine. I looked at your future upgrades and recommend acoustical treatments before anymore speaker upgrades. It made a huge improvement in my room.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #29 of 47 Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I just found this thread. I too live in Katy. Let me know if you need help with anything.
post #30 of 47 Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I think you were reading my mind when you wrote this. Feburary's "budget" was going to be allocated to some recessed lighting but I think I will begin some acoustical treatments first that will also incorporate some lighting. I'm more than likely going to steal @landshark1 idea of staggered panels with some modifications. more to come as I figure it out.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction
Gear in this thread - W1070. by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page