HVAC duct deadner - Stick On - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2002, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 8" x 16" x 12' HVAC duct running through my HT that will love to pick up sound.

I found this self adhesive, closed cell vinyl foam with heavy aluminum backing duct insulation material. The product says it reduces heat loss, fire retardant and is an effective sound deadener. Comes in a roll 12" x 15 feet @ $22.00 Canadian. Made by Dundas - Jafine Industries Ltd. Brampton On. Canada. I found it at Home Hardware, 4 rolls will do it.

It applies very easily and deffinately takes the tin sound out of the duct work. You can see in the photo one section applied. I will also be boxing in the duct with 2" of sound insulation and drywall.

Hopfully this helps. You can also see that I changed out all the 5" and 6" ducts for insulated flex tubing.

Next is the wiring.
LL

Glen - Each day the reality of a Home Theatre becomes clearer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-21-2002, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glen,

The "tin" sound I assume is also known as the "oil can effect" How is the stick-on for reducing sound infiltrating into the duct from the room ?

Is this material ~1/4" thick ?

A similar material was recommended on a post months ago but I haven't read about any first hand experience with the material or its effectiveness.

AJF

No such thing as a stupid question! Well have you got a minute ?
post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2002, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Afryia,

Your right "Oil Can". The material is only 1/8" thick. I will have to wait for a sound test, the store only had the one roll, ordered three more.

As soon as it's all up I planed to test some yelling near this duct and at the other end of the house on some uncovered ducts for comparison on the sound going up stairs.

If theirs no difference I'll do some more yelling.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-22-2002, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Nice picture. Please let me know how this duck covering works when you get the rest covered. I have the same problem and this products sounds promising. I live just outside of Toronto so it should not be hard finding a Home Hardware.

I have also seen other web sites advertise duct liner that looks like it goes on the inside of the duct ??? It basically appears to be some kind of exposed fiber glass. But to me this sounds kind of dangerous since the air gets pulled in from this area? Considered this at all?

Also where did you pick up your 5" and 6"flexi duct? Is it basically made up internally of venial then insulation and then an outside vinyl shell again?
post #5 of 13 Old 10-23-2002, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know what the sonic benefits would be for a product like this for stopping the sound getting into the ducts if there are any openings in the ductwork in that room. The way I see it, this product is just like the Dynomat products you can get for car audio installations. My buddy and I installed Dynomat in his '88 Toyota pick-up and it made the doors go from sounding tinny and lightweight, even when doing simple things like closing it, to sounding heavy and dead, more like a luxury car.
Easy to install, except that you have to take the whole car apart inside. For new construction such as converting a basement or something, it makes sense to do it, especially if the cost and effort are fairly minimal.

Scott

post #6 of 13 Old 10-23-2002, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Up Date.

Quote:
I have also seen other web sites advertise duct liner that looks like it goes on the inside of the duct ??? It basically appears to be some kind of exposed fiber glass. But to me this sounds kind of dangerous since the air gets pulled in from this area? Considered this at all?
The duct is completely covered. It's a bite of a pain doing the top of the duct as the rubber side is quite sticky when trying to feed it between pipes and floor joist and around ducts. It does allow you to pull off and adjust. In a few spots it was easier cut large pieces and patch in small areas. Make sure you brush off the top of the ducts first.

Do you really what to take your main ducts apart to insert the liner? Not for me.

Quote:
Also where did you pick up your 5" and 6"flexi duct? Is it basically made up internally of venial then insulation and then an outside vinyl shell again?
It's made as you thought. The flexi duct was bought at Home Depot $33-$35 for 25'.

Quote:
I don't know what the sonic benefits would be for a product like this for stopping the sound getting into the ducts if there are any openings in the duct work in that room. The way I see it, this product is just like the Dynomat products you can get for car audio installations. My buddy and I installed Dynomat in his '88 Toyota pick-up and it made the doors go from sounding tinny and lightweight, even when doing simple things like closing it, to sounding heavy and dead, more like a luxury car.

I was also hoping to stop any rattling. It is easier to apply now then after it's boxed in. I looked at Dynamat and V-Blok in sheet and spray form, but its far to expensive. ($33.00 for a 10oz spray can and only 4-6 sq ft.)

Quote:
The "tin" sound I assume is also known as the "oil can effect" How is the stick-on for reducing sound infiltrating into the duct from the room ?
As for the "Oil Can" sound it's gone. How does one describe the new sound? OK, take a cardboard box, fill it with blankets and tap on the side.

I will try to do the sound test tonight. Notice the blacked out window in the picture. 2" Styrofoam painted black on both sides. From the out side it looks like a window with no lights on.

Back to work

post #7 of 13 Old 10-25-2002, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So how did the sound test work out??? Is the "self adhesive, closed cell vinyl foam with heavy aluminum backing duct insulation material" worth it?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2002, 02:20 AM

I used Brown Bread from http://www.b-quiet.com on my ducts.

My furnace room is right next to the theater (only layout possible :( )... it made a big difference in the noise that propogated throughout the house!
post #9 of 13 Old 10-27-2002, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I conducted a sound test or at least that's what I'll call it.

Testing Area:
Large 8" x 16" main HVAC duct that runs the full length of the house. Both ends have typical 6" ducts that feed the upper floors. Two smaller 5" ducts feed the HT and have not been boxed in or insulated yet.

I remained in the basement and placed family members on the next floor up, over the floor vents above the theatre and at the other end of the house.

I tested both ends by tapping and talking loudly right under the duct work (covered and uncovered duct areas) to see how sound was transfer upstairs through the duct work and out the floor vents.

In the theatre area, family members could heard the tapping and my talking but it was muffled and appeared distant. At the other end of the house you could hardly tell there was a floor between use. Sound transferred easily through the uncovered ducts.

The theatre area sound transfer should even be less once the ducts are boxed and insulated.

For the $100.00 it cost I think it was worth it, even if it stops any vibration noise from the metal ducts.

Wires and wall insulation going in now.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-28-2002, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the update!

AJF

No such thing as a stupid question! Well have you got a minute ?
post #11 of 13 Old 10-28-2002, 06:00 PM

Glen,
I have checked all the Home Hardware stores (and HD, Millwork) in the Ajax/Whitby/Oshawa area and they have never heard of the stuff you have.
Was it a Revy/Rona store you found it at? Are they associated with Home Hardware?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-29-2002, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Pkrash,

Comes in a roll 12" x 15 feet @ $22.00 Canadian. Made by Dundas - Jafine Industries Ltd. Brampton On. Canada.

I called the store and the Clerk said if your store does not carry the pipe wrap they can special order it using this number. Home Hardware #5510100.

Good Luck

post #13 of 13 Old 10-29-2002, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page