AVS Forum banner

My DIY Theater

2K views 62 replies 9 participants last post by  IamCornholio 
#1 ·
Getting close. Ordering carpet, Equipment and chairs soon. Property Room Ceiling Building Wall

See less See more
#9 ·
Very nice. Are you going to keep updating this thread as you progress? If so, I'll subscribe because I'd really like to see the finished product.

#19 ·
Not sure what you mean by having issues with sound. Inside your room, leakage outside your room. Every room has compromises unless you build it from the ground up with the specific purpose of being a theater but we (all) have to work with what we have. I'm not familiar with the B&W speakers you've selected but (generally) that is a good brand of speaker. Marantz is also a very highly thought of brand but I'm not sure the model number you're going with and are you familiar with Atmos? Are you pre-wiring for it?

I'll ask you a few of questions:

1) Do you plan on any kind of acoustic treatment?
2) Is your screen acoustically transparent? I ask this because I'm not sure if you plan on covering up the speakers in the front.
3) I assume the cutout's up front (on the bottom) will be used for your center and sub?
4) Will your couch be up against the back wall?

Let's start with those for now. Also, what model number Marantz are you looking at?

#27 ·
My thoughts are:

1) Do you plan on any kind of acoustic treatment? That's OK....you can determine if you want/need this based upon how your system sounds but treatment is almost always needed.
2) Is your screen acoustically transparent? I ask this because I'm not sure if you plan on covering up the speakers in the front. Do you plan on putting your front tower speakers in those cut-outs and will they be covered by your screen? That's what I'm asking. You said you're getting a 10' wide screen and it seems that would cover those 2 cut-outs and if the screen is not acoustically transparent then it will block some of the sound..especially the high-end. Acoustically transparent screens are designed to let sound pass through.
3) I assume the cutout's up front (on the bottom) will be used for your center and sub? So I would recommend pointing your center channel speaker up towards the seats instead of having it fire straight ahead since it's at floor level.
4) Will your couch be up against the back wall? Typically you don't want your seats against a back wall because it will be in close proximity to your rear surrounds and a lot of acoustic energy will build up back there and it won't sounds a good as your front row. However, we all have to work with the space we have. Other theaters have the same set-up and I presume they work fine.

#25 ·
My component rack looks empty. It's 4'6" tall and all I have in it is a receiver, blue ray, cable box and surge protector. Not sure how you guys fill these things up. I may have to throw some dummy pieces of equipment in there to make it look full. I have an old Sony DVR I can add. Any suggestions?

#28 ·
Thanks for the info Nabs.

Couple things...

Yes, my couch will be up against the back wall. No other way to do it. My step up area is only 5' deep, so I am already maxed out.

The front cut out for the two towers, sub and center speaker will have acoustic fabric over it.

The 10' screen will not cover the cut outs.

Thanks again for your input

#32 ·
Acoustics can be confusing but don't let it. Lots of folks don't consider it until they have their room up and running but you can install them anytime you wish and a little at a time. You'll either want to absorb sound waves or diffuse them depending. Lots of folks here like and use a company called GIK because they are "relatively" affordable, perform well and will work with you to decide on which products you need for your space. You can go to the website:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/

And check out the products they offer and when/if you're ready you can consult them on advice here:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

They will ask you about your room, you will provide the details and they will tell you which products you need and how to place them. I am (also) one of the forum members who has used GIK before and I recommend them.

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.