AVS Forum banner

Need help, projector room, yes or no?

260 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  thestoneman 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if I can setup a projector in this room or am I better off just rocking a 70-80" LED TV? I ask since the projector is cheaper and potentially a bigger screen. Okay I went to take pictures of the room setup and also it's 18x16 feet but it is an open floor plan. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea.

The room itself:

Connecting stairway:

Space adjacent to the room:

Room again with ceiling:

See less See more
#2 ·
The room could fit a projector, however whether you want one or not is another question.

What are you viewing habits? Is this almost exclusively for watching movies? Casual TV viewing? How do you feel about adding blinds and replacing current light filtering blinds with more opaque ones? Are you willing to watch in a darkened room?

Having used a projector to replace a TV for general viewing, I can't say that I'd ever do it again. In my opinion, there are just too many sacrifices and hassles in dealing with a projector in an average living room. If you want to watch with the lights on or some outside light, your picture quality will suffer. I would take a smaller screen with a good picture over a much larger one that is washed out.

#3 ·
Well I'm a single bachelor and literally have a 2600 sqft home all to myself, so yes I will be buying curtains. My current decision is based from the fact that I can get a Sony KDL55W800B & Sony VPL-HW40ES both for $2600 out the door. I know a 75" Samsung H7150 will cost me $3,000+ and that's why I'm planning on buying the Sony projector for movie nights, family gathering, friends, etc. For everyday viewing and video gaming in the other room for poker nights and such I wanted to use the KDL55W800B.

#5 ·
Keep in mind projectors like total darkness...even small amounts of ambient light will negatively affect the picture integrity. This room looks like a room you would do a lot of casual watching/daytime watching. I would not want to black out the entire room just to watch the evening news. Unless you have another room with a flat screen, I wouldn't go with a projector here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.