AVS Forum banner

New Atmos theater going up!

24K views 193 replies 52 participants last post by  Waldo11 
#1 ·
Photos of Steve and crew putting up the isolation for a new Atmos theater in Kentucky. More to come as images become available.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Shawn, thanks for the pictures.

From listening to some of the podcasts discussing Atmos, I get the impression that as the number of playback channels increases, the room should become more dead due to the fact that more and more of the ambience is produced via DSP and the discrete playback channels. As you gain more experience with Atmos installations, do you find this to be true, or does the room design stay the same regardless of the number of playback channels?

Thanks,
Mike

#5 ·
Hi Mike,

We actually prefer more diffusion to absorption and this becomes more apparent in Atmos with a Diffusive ceiling. Not sure there is much post processing DSP going on since the soundtracks are mixed with an atmos track. Perhaps with legacy tracks this would be more apparent, but as time goes on, more and more Atmos tracks will be coming on the market. Still a lot of questions out there. I'll let you know when we hear this one! ;). However, Atmos should be totally immersive. Difficult to do with a dead room. This is one of our first from the ground up atmos designs and builds.

#13 ·
I have not personally worked with the new Q-Sys unit as yet. Adam has worked with a few. The Basis/Rave units were extremely flexible, but were limited to 8x8 matrix, thus often necessitating the need for two of them...usually a 922 or 322 depending on amps. So, the 16x16 matrix is a welcome improvement especially since you only need buy the cards for the amount of channels you are using (for the most part...even numbers only apply). From what I understand though, the unit is very complex, and you now need certification to monkey with it.

#14 ·
I'm sure this will make me look like an(even bigger) idiot, but before your obligatory eye roll and groan, just stop and think about it for a second.

Remember a few years back, they introduced those speakers that looked like solar panels. I think they called them wafer speakers. No moving parts (still don't get that), thin as a wafer - hence the name I guess, and were supposedly not all that bad.

Now think about this - if there are speakers that are as flat and thin as solar cells, imagine if you tiled your ENTIRE ceiling with them - completely, wall to wall. Seems like that would be 1 heck of an atmos system wouldn't it? :D

OK, let the ridicule commence...

#17 ·
I would have thought you'd have built a room within a room as opposed to the channel and clip method. Was this to maximize this amazing room space or is a secondary wall system going in after this initial double drywall shell. Your EG workers are just top notch!

#31 ·
QSC, as a friend of mine put it, is a different flavor. We always, always, always prefer manual to any automajik systems. We are going to keep some equipment choices confidential at the moment. Designing rooms is all about compromises. The lesser of two evils and which evil is worse than the other choice for a given situation. There are no perfect rooms, and we make choices given what problems present themselves. You will only need one Procella P18 to achieve those levels. The purpose of this thread is to show some new things going on in the world and not to pick it apart. We already did that...for 6 months...not 6 minutes.

#32 · (Edited)
The ART of compromise indeed! As we know, get the infrastructure done and you can schlep gear in and out all day long. Notionally and functionally the idea of a "B" chain is quite appealing since front ends can be swapped with impunity. Given the flux in gear at the moment with gen1/ gen2 changes and format intros time is an ally.

#33 · (Edited)
First, I don't mind the questions or critiques.

Generally speaking, equipment choices were decided based on budget vs. performance, along with my expectations. Keep in mind I'm an old fart. The budget included Erskine Group doing the theater construction along with the building of a new home. The Erskine construction guys are great by the way.

As far a timbre matching, I'm comfortable with the assurances from Shawn along with some of my own reading on the matter.

As far as sub performance, we'll have to see. On paper, I think I'm going to happy with the P18 and 3 balancing subs.

Double walls were discussed, in the end I went with the extra space. I'm doing two rows of 4 and tried to get as much space from the sidewalls (surround speakers) as possible.

TF and TR speakers are equidistance from the front row. A longer room would have been nice, but you know how that goes.

QSC 2 channel amps, 350 watts

#34 ·
...As far a timbre matching, I'm comfortable with the assurances from Shawn along with some of my own reading on the matter...
I agree -- I am mixing JBL Project Array LCR and subs with Procella P6 surrounds and P10 balancing subs. I'll be using 2 QSC 922's for EQ, and I am not the least bit worried about timbre matching. The Audyssey room correction in my Pre/Pro will be disabled.

#36 ·
I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together. Just out of curiosity, why four atmos speakers instead of six? I can see either way, as I know that properly positioned, my two channel system images just as well in stereo as it does with a center channel. Is the intent to rely on precise imaging of four speakers? I am very curious as to the plan of action (without relying on proprietary design details, of course). It looks like this room has the height to really deliver the goods of the audio dome that immersive audio provides.

#38 ·
I looked at it but still fail to see its application in home theater. It doesn't seem to do any decoding of codecs... It seems like a multi-room switcher that uses ethernet for multiple channels / audio transmission - great if you have a few home theaters, etc.

I always look at new technology and judge it by the most important question... do I need to buy this? Don't see it based on my limited reading.

What is the 3 sentance explanation for what this does? Room correction??

#40 · (Edited)
Digital inputs? Seems like it is LPCM only if the inputs are digital - and more like a concert / touring piece. NOt knocking it but trying to understand why it was selected for a high level theater?

Why not an internal solution e.g. Datasat, ADA, or Trinnov?

Still can't see the need if not for multi-room. Ethernet delivery seems to be a big feature.

#42 · (Edited)
Still not getting the reasoning for its selection. I've owned QSC DSPs for years. Finally retired them.

Shawn is the designer, maybe he could chime in.

Analog inputs?

#43 ·
It's efficacy was explained by SMB.
Understandable that you don't understand--
You harped on subs even though P-18 was mentioned before you jumped in.
SMB explained the efficacy of Qsys core compared to Basis solution already.
(by the way, Basis does all the "Ethernet audio routing" as well --not that it is needed)
You kept pushing for someone to do your homework ala analog or digital inputs
Equipment selection rationale has been explained

And yes, we all understand that you don't understand. Perhaps, to not dilute the build thread further, you should start a thread titled "I don't understand" wherein you can question everbody's everything ad nauseam.

#44 ·
I went to the QSC site and read a bit and watched a couple videos. The info I saw leaned more about Ethernet distribution and cards than DSP features. Saw little about DSP. There is scant info on the QSC site. I'm sure it's there but buried. I understand it is a 16 ch unit but still wonder why this was selected vs others. I'm curious what SSP would be put with it and if it works completely in the digital domain - how if connectS to the SSP. I assume it is placed downstream from the SSP. I haven't seem this piece or anyone who has used one here on AVS. So, yes I (and likely most others 'don't know). It's seems very new and concert sound seemed to be the emphasis on the QSC site. Even Shawn seems very new to it. I asked if its input is analog or digital 3 times here. Cannot readily find such on QSC site. I assumed you knew.

#45 · (Edited)
How about $7G's vs. $30G's? That alone is reason enough. If you would like to pony up the remaining $23k for the client, I'm sure he would gladly accept. ;)
The client has a budget, and the Datasat, Trinnov, Theta, or whatever didn't figure into that budget. The QSC in capable hands is more than adequate. There really isn't more to say about it. Lastly, the other QSC units (BASIS or Rave) are no longer in production. I have personally listened to a system with the Core in it. Phenomenal is all I can say...provided you have someone who knows what they are doing.

#46 ·
Thans for the info. I understand budget. That makes sense. $7K vs $30K is quite significant. In fact, I used 4 QSC DSP IVs for 8 channels total in my previous system. They were analog input and all processing and digital processing done in the digital domain. I thought they worked very well. I'm sure the Q-sys is far improved.

Just one more thing...

1. Does it have an analog or digital inputs?

My guess is analog and it goes after an SSP. Correct?

Thanks!

#47 ·
1. Does it have an analog or digital inputs?

My guess is analog and it goes after an SSP. Correct?
In my system, the QSC BASIS 922az processors go between the Pre/Pro (Marantz AV7702) and the power amplifiers (mostly QSC DCA series).

There are 8 analog inputs matrixed to 8 analog outputs on each 922az (in addition to the ethernet digital I/O).

#49 · (Edited)
Bland-
The 922 referenced by LeBon has all of the shiny stuff you got distracted with--moving sound around on cat cables, but you didn't pick on it. It is far from new tech. It has far more capable dsp than the series you used to deploy. It is analog I/O except for the "Ethernet" digital I/O.

I thought you mIght click the brochure PDF on the page I linked To answer your question about the Qsys. You asked is it analog or digital. The answer is yes.

Besides the "Ethernet" I/O the additional I/O cards determine whether that card slot is being used as an input or output -- sometimes both-- and further whether it is analog or digital I/O. Minimum channel count cards are 4 channels per, so, at 8 slots that is 32 channels.

The reason you don't see much about dSP is because, frankly, at this stage of the game it is old hat. The symetrix, SoundWeb, QSC, etc. boys have that all down cold.

/ending tutorial & go back in box

#53 ·
One way of getting 11 foot ceilings for a basement theater. Build 9 foot walls and dig out a 2 foot "tub".

Attachments

Reactions: toddman36
#55 ·
Damn, in our part of the country we have two-three guys watching one guy running the machine. In your part you have a guy and a machine watching a machine doing the work by itself. The guy commands the machine with his phone, neat.

#131 ·
Damn, in our part of the country we have two-three guys watching one guy running the machine. In your part you have a guy and a machine watching a machine doing the work by itself. The guy commands the machine with his phone, neat.

^^^What's really neat is the fact that he's controlling two at the same time!

AND flying the drone that took the picture! Now THAT'S multi-tasking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.