theHometheaterbook review - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
theHometheaterbook review

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if the prices are worth the info on thehometheaterbook.com

I'm starting to gather info to build and wondered if this a a good value or just a costly version of free info thats out there to find?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 04:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 943
it is a summarized version of information you could gather here on the forum, it has been edited somewhat for correctness. So if it took you several days to assemble the same information what is your time worth?
Old 01-29-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 292
You'll learn everything you need to know here. It's overwhelming at first, but after a while it just starts flowing and before you know it the theater is done, the wife is happy, and the world is glowing a brighter shade of awesome!
Craig Peer likes this.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok great thanks guys. I'll stick with AVS. It's true to start out brand new the work follow is a little over whelming, but I'm starting to catch the vibe.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 292
You might start your own build thread as others have done. You'll get a lot of great advice if you post pictures and maybe a schematic of the room your working with. Every room is different but if people can see your room they make recomendations to help you achieve the best for it. Good luck! This is a fun time! Enjoy it.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think it would be great if someone wrote a basic beginners guide to RESEARCH for planning and building a theater and had it in a sticky thread.

I'm not talking about a comprehensive guide to every different design strategy and soundproofing method...That's what books are for and that info is already here in the forum. I'm talking about a checklist of the things that a noob (like myself) would need to study and maybe what to search for. The information is out there and can be found if you know what you're looking for.. but I think most new people don't know what to look for. I think a study guide that opens your eyes to what they need to learn would be a fantastic tool.

example: list the step, then find and link a few threads that would help a person get started in their research.
Step 1: Identify the space you have to work with and understand the challenges it presents (and some suggested threads or search topics to get started)
Step 2: Define your budget. Give some basic cost examples based on size of space and how fancy/extensive you want to build.
Step 3: Research guide:
3a - Room shape
3b - Soundproofing techniques (sub categories for decoupling, double drywall+Green Glue, soffits, sealant, dead vents, ceilings, hat/channel, different kinds of clips/brackets, hush boxes, OSB for first layer, what drywall to buy)
3c - Screens (Standard vs. A/T, 16:9 vs. 2:35, recommended size, recommended viewing distances)
3d - Screen walls/false walls
3e - visual treatments (blackout front, lighting)
3f - Seating (multiple rows, couch vs. theater seats, risers and construction, position relative to screen and speakers)
3g - Electrical (power outlet placement, running wires, soundproofing strategies, running hdmi/speaker wire, lighting and grouping)
3h - HVAC (how many, where to put them, how to power them, tie into existing duct vs. vent to outside rooms or outside of house, what fans to buy, how to soundproof all of it)
3i - A/V racks (where to put them, how to build them, what to buy, how to cool, how to control)
3j - Doors (placement recommendations, size, soundproofing, single, sliding, french, communicating, lobby)
3k - finishing treatments (paint vs. cloth walls, floor coverings)
3l - Acoustics (bass traps, absorption panels, diffusion blocks, reflection points, use of screen wall space, soffit traps)
3m - Where to buy what you need (online suppliers, big box home centers, fabric stores, specialty sites, etc..)

I'm sure there are more important concepts to study here.. but that's what comes to mind at the moment.
All of this information is here on the forum and if you know what you're looking for you can find it. But for new people (like myself), its hard to know what you need to research.

A beginner's guide with a list of research topics and some example links to existing threads or some suggested keywords to search would be extremely helpful as a sticky in this forum.

Just an idea..
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I believe Warren Peterson compiled this info from AVS people, it was a community effort.
Recently (8-9 months back) he sold that to Ritesh Dalal, who also has a facebook group called "Home Theater Enthusiasts".....

Some of my acoustic treatments and methods are in there, I get zero - nada - anything, I was being altruistic letting the images go there, sorta giving back to the community.

Now I feel used, since that book has passed onto other hands purely for profit.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Maybe add a Step 0 - Determine your goals. Are you happy with a home theater in a box, do you want to go all-out top of the line, or somewhere in the middle? Is audio or video quality more important to you? What types of audio and video do you currently consume? It is all YouTube and 128 kbps mp3 or is it 3D Blue Ray and lossless stereo audio? This will help answer the quality question.
eikon likes this.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I believe Warren Peterson compiled this info from AVS people, it was a community effort.
Recently (8-9 months back) he sold that to Ritesh Dalal, who also has a facebook group called "Home Theater Enthusiasts".....

Some of my acoustic treatments and methods are in there, I get zero - nada - anything, I was being altruistic letting the images go there, sorta giving back to the community.

Interesting.. I had no idea. Maybe I'll take a crack and putting something new together. I'm not really trying to come up with anything original, just a way to organize what's already on the forum so that people can find it better.. but more importantly.. to know what they need to go looking for. I just don't have the expertise to know if my research list is comprehensive.. but maybe I'll try to put something together and then let the experts chime in with issues i've forgotten or priorities I've put out of place.

I probably have 60 to 70 hours in on this forum in the last month trying to learn and plan my theater build. I keep finding new things that I hadn't even considered in my early stages of learning. It would be nice to have a learning gameplan I think. To be honest, without @Tedd taking an interest in my project and guiding me along, I would still be nowhere close, even with that many hours involved.

mtbdudex,
I notice you're from SE MI? I'm in Lake Orion. Maybe later this spring when I'm further along I could bug you (a local) for some advice on acoustical treatments for my own project.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Doesn't Warren Peterson now provide "Audio/Video Home Theater" consulting services kind of like what BigMouthDC does (travel to
the owners home and works with people who provide their own sweat equity into the project except Warren Peterson offers different packages or levels of service)?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
Interesting.. I had no idea. Maybe I'll take a crack and putting something new together. I'm not really trying to come up with anything original, just a way to organize what's already on the forum so that people can find it better.. but more importantly.. to know what they need to go looking for. I just don't have the expertise to know if my research list is comprehensive.. but maybe I'll try to put something together and then let the experts chime in with issues i've forgotten or priorities I've put out of place.

I probably have 60 to 70 hours in on this forum in the last month trying to learn and plan my theater build. I keep finding new things that I hadn't even considered in my early stages of learning. It would be nice to have a learning gameplan I think. To be honest, without @Tedd taking an interest in my project and guiding me along, I would still be nowhere close, even with that many hours involved.

mtbdudex,
I notice you're from SE MI? I'm in Lake Orion. Maybe later this spring when I'm further along I could bug you (a local) for some advice on acoustical treatments for my own project.
>>There is a HEMI meet in March, you should go to that. Great guys, good conversation, learn and share.
I'm in Howell M59/US23 area. You are welcome to come buy, I've had quite a lot of AVS visitors come over the past few years ad-hoc.
SE Michigan meet?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
>>There is a HEMI meet in March, you should go to that. Great guys, good conversation, learn and share.
I'm in Howell M59/US23 area. You are welcome to come buy, I've had quite a lot of AVS visitors come over the past few years ad-hoc.
SE Michigan meet?

Awesome! I'm in on the meet.. sounds excellent. Thanks!

and.. ghostguy sorry to hijack this thread
Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it would be great if someone wrote a basic beginners guide to RESEARCH for planning and building a theater and had it in a sticky thread.

I'm not talking about a comprehensive guide to every different design strategy and soundproofing method...That's what books are for and that info is already here in the forum. I'm talking about a checklist of the things that a noob (like myself) would need to study and maybe what to search for. The information is out there and can be found if you know what you're looking for.. but I think most new people don't know what to look for. I think a study guide that opens your eyes to what they need to learn would be a fantastic tool.

example: list the step, then find and link a few threads that would help a person get started in their research.
Step 1: Identify the space you have to work with and understand the challenges it presents (and some suggested threads or search topics to get started)
Step 2: Define your budget. Give some basic cost examples based on size of space and how fancy/extensive you want to build.
3a - Room shape
3b - Soundproofing techniques (sub categories for decoupling, double drywall+Green Glue, soffits, sealant, dead vents, ceilings, hat/channel, different kinds of clips/brackets, hush boxes, OSB for first layer, what drywall to buy)
3c - Screens (Standard vs. A/T, 16:9 vs. 2:35, recommended size, recommended viewing distances)
3f - Seating (multiple rows, couch vs. theater seats, risers and construction, position relative to screen and speakers)
3g - Electrical (power outlet placement, running wires, soundproofing strategies, running hdmi/speaker wire, lighting and grouping)
3h - HVAC (how many, where to put them, how to power them, tie into existing duct vs. vent to outside rooms or outside of house, what fans to buy, how to soundproof all of it)
3i - A/V racks (where to put them, how to build them, what to buy, how to cool, how to control)
3j - Doors (placement recommendations, size, soundproofing, single, sliding, french, communicating, lobby)
3l - Acoustics (bass traps, absorption panels, diffusion blocks, reflection points, use of screen wall space, soffit traps)
3m - Where to buy what you need (online suppliers, big box home centers, fabric stores, specialty sites, etc..)

I'm sure there are more important concepts to study here.. but that's what comes to mind at the moment.
All of this information is here on the forum and if you know what you're looking for you can find it. But for new people (like myself), its hard to know what you need to research.

A beginner's guide with a list of research topics and some example links to existing threads or some suggested keywords to search would be extremely helpful as a sticky in this forum.

Just an idea..
This would be a great idea. Im a person who, if I don't know what I'm doing have no problem hiring a contractor. It was only after spending 100+ hours on AVS and youtube that I decided no this is something within the scope of DIY. But where to start researching each step correctly versus the duck tape and white flu methods, can be rather extensive. I"m am 100% moving on doing it myself with some exceptions of skilled trades of course. But a guide like this would save 1000s of dead end or not relevant hours of reading and watching (though I am enjoying the labour of love)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

3a - Room shape

Just an idea..
I think this is a great idea, the hours that I am spending to find tidbits here and there are insane.
Don't get me wrong I love looking at everybody's projects and getting new ideas.
The show me threads are useful but some are not used a lot, e.g. the show me your soffits
I would be willing to volunteer my time and limited knowledge to this

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 AM

excellent!

Thanks Waterboy and ghostguy.

I'll get started on this over the weekend. I'll title it something like "A beginner's research guide to HT design and planning".

Again, the goal is not to provide any original content (because I'm not an expert in anything and have no original content to offer). But, rather, the goal here is to help new members understand the full scope of theater design. It's not just slapping up 4 walls and buying a projector and a couple seats. There is a TON of complex issues that need to be learned and understood before a person can build a successful HT. I want to help people shorten the time investment needed to get started in the process. I want to help them realize ahead of time how many different areas they need to study, and give a starting point for what to research and where to find it. All of the answers are here on the forum.. just need to know what to look for and how to find them.

I'll get started with the project and ask any willing volunteers to help pitch in.. we'll crowdsource it! And it won't be for sale because with no original content, there is nothing to own.

It'll be a noobs guide.. created by a noob. But if any experts are willing to chime in and help out.. we'll take it!
ghostguy79 likes this.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sounds great, I'm interested in reading your info. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

if you want to start doing your own research start with the first post in this thread, an oldie but a goodie

The Dark Knight Theater

EIKON, there is no reason to start from scratch, just update this 6 year old project
willmo likes this.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
if you want to start doing your own research start with the first post in this thread, an oldie but a goodie

The Dark Knight Theater

EIKON, there is no reason to start from scratch, just update this 6 year old project

Holy mother of... Why is that not a sticky thread? Why haven't I run across that treasure trove yet?

WOW.. it's amazing!

Just need a moderator to change the title and make it a sticky thread.. maybe a few updates since it's like 8 years old.. But for the most part, it's exactly what I envisioned.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Couldn't agree more.

Over the years I've set up many two channel audio systems and, much more causally, in-living-room HT ones.

Now I want to convert my single car garage into a good video/audio quality room: one that's "affordable" which means less of the super decorative touches.

I've read through many of the AVS threads and while they're detailed and informative, the quantity of information and opinions is quite overwhelming for a beginner like me who needs a template for planning and execution.

I'd be willing to hire an HT consultant/expert to help out with the initial planning and basics and I'd much appreciate referrals for someone in the central NJ area.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Shawn Byrne of the Erskine Group and his basic design service. Contact him here as SierraMikeBravo. Theater designers don't need to live down the street just some measurements and pictures of the raw space is all it takes for them to work their magic.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 02-03-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Oz View Post

Couldn't agree more.

Over the years I've set up many two channel audio systems and, much more causally, in-living-room HT ones.

Now I want to convert my single car garage into a good video/audio quality room: one that's "affordable" which means less of the super decorative touches.

I've read through many of the AVS threads and while they're detailed and informative, the quantity of information and opinions is quite overwhelming for a beginner like me who needs a template for planning and execution.

I'd be willing to hire an HT consultant/expert to help out with the initial planning and basics and I'd much appreciate referrals for someone in the central NJ area.

Thanks!
Well, I'm not in the NJ area, but I can help you out if you need assistance.

Regarding the book...I have volunteered in the past, just absolutely no time to write anything. One of these days, if someone wanted to drag me to a HT meet, I could do that as well. Anyway, random musings.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I think you can divide users into amateurs, pseudo-pros, and pro's pretty easily.

The amateur would benefit from a coherent book.

The pseudo-pro just thinks the know a lot more than they really do.

The seasoned "pro" has been around the block, knows what type of sound they like, and knows more about separating the voodoo and marketing drivel from bona-fide value. There is a LOT of information, at least some of which is experiential.

For example, how is a book going to tell you if you are going to like horn speakers or ribbon line sources? It would be like reading a book about chocolate without ever tasting it.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks much for the offers of assistance. Will reach out in the near future. Just gotta clear my desk of a few things first.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Glad this thread was started. I've been lurking on here a while and came across the Curt Palme site a couple months ago curtpalme dot com (I apparantly can't post links until I hit 5 posts so sorry for this format)

Looks like the Curt Palme material is the same book being discussed in this thread. I had always planned on asking about it here, but never got around to it. For $79 it didn't seem like a bad deal - especially with some of the names listed as contributors (BIG, etc.) I'd be mostly interested in the videos; however, I'm always skeptical since I've paid for books/research like this in the past and am usually disappointed. Have also always wondered if anyone has used the services on this site diymovierooms dot com

I'm assuming they're both just an organized version of what you can find on here for free yourself with enough time.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
Well, I'm not in the NJ area, but I can help you out if you need assistance.

Regarding the book...I have volunteered in the past, just absolutely no time to write anything. One of these days, if someone wanted to drag me to a HT meet, I could do that as well. Anyway, random musings.
Ok - I'd like you to come to Jeff (TheBland) HT meet here in SE Michigan April/May timeframe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I expect to have a meet in April/May when Atmos is released for my SSP.
HT of the Month: Le Petit Trianon

Quote:

Quote:

mtbdudex,
FYI - as stated prior the book was originally written by Warren Peterson with AVS members help, and he sold the rights to the book 1 year ago to Ritesh Dalal, who's now indicated he's selling the rights to it in his facebook post (he's since edit that to say 50% off but deleted why).
What that means is 50% off, so instead of $80 for decent know-how $40....see below...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hometheaterenthusiasts/
Quote:
For everyone in this group, I'm offering 50% off all our products on thehometheaterbook.com
Use the coupon code GOINGOUT50 at checkout and you'll get 50% off your entire purchase!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Ok - I'd like you to come to Jeff (TheBland) HT meet here in SE Michigan April/May timeframe...

HT of the Month: Le Petit Trianon

FYI - as stated prior the book was originally written by Warren Peterson with AVS members help, and he sold the rights to the book 1 year ago to Ritesh Dalal, who's now indicated he's selling the rights to it in his facebook post (he's since edit that to say 50% off but deleted why).
What that means is 50% off, so instead of $80 for decent know-how $40....see below...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hometheaterenthusiasts/
Quote:
For everyone in this group, I'm offering 50% off all our products on thehometheaterbook.com
Use the coupon code GOINGOUT50 at checkout and you'll get 50% off your entire purchase!

That might be possible. I have my very last calibration to do in that area about that time frame. Not sure how the timing will work, but, just a thought.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
That might be possible. I have my very last calibration to do in that area about that time frame. Not sure how the timing will work, but, just a thought.
Actually that would be great to meet you in person Shawn, and Jeff was open to his exact date...I'll shoot you and Jeff a PM offline this thread.