AVS Forum banner

Trying to finalize soundproofing strategy

423 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BIGmouthinDC 
#1 ·
I'm working on trying to decide for certain what to do with my soundproofing. I have a small room of approx. 15.5' x 14.5'x8'. It is in a basement room with 2 walls being foundation walls.

things I've decided so far:
1: ceiling will be clips and channels, recessed to have a half inch gap between the joist and drywall so as to lose as little height as possible.
2: 1 foundation wall is the right side of the theater. In order to hide a pipe clean out I've already decided on a completely separate, 2nd stud wall with an access panel for the clean out.
3: the screen wall is the other foundation wall. I'm planning on building another separate stud wall for that. though I will probably use 2x3 framing to save some space.
4: will be doing DD and GG.
5: will be doing insulation everywhere for a little more absorption.

things I'm trying to decide:
1: for the other 2 walls, I'm trying to decide between doing clips and recessing them like the ceiling or doing a staggered stud wall. Cost is somewhat of a concern as I'm not sure how excited I am to spend 4-7 dollars a piece for clips when I can get a couple studs for that much. generally speaking, is there a large performance difference between clips and channel versus a 2x6 sill with staggered 2x4s? I've read a lot of conflicting info on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO, nothing beats clips and channel. The 1 good thing about HT's taking so long to finish is that it makes the expenses easier to handle cuz you can spread them out over a longer period of time then you originally thought :D

#3 ·
clips and channel on all four walls and ceiling, putty pads as needed, backer boxes as needed isolate HVAC, beefy door(s) with seals. If you connect the top plate of the walls facing foundation with IB3 clips instead of firm connections you could elect to skip the clips and channel. Likewise if you frame double walls anywhere with the theater side isolated you could skip the clips.

#4 ·
so, I'm thinking what I'm going to do is separated stud walls without clips for the two foundation walls but with the IB3 clips at the top and skip the channel on those 2 walls. and I think I'll do channel on the other 2 walls rather than staggered studs.

I was keeping the pads and stuff in mind, but I wasn't having a debate in my mind about those, so I didn't mention them:)

what number of clips are required ceilings and walls? does it vary based on what type I pick?

#5 ·
Talk to Ted or John at SoundproofingCompany.com or use their calculators to estimate clips. With two layers of DW channel spacing is 24 OC. Clip spacing is every 48 inches but you need to anchor the ends and stagger the clips. If you are adding extra channels to support soffits that takes more clips. You can return what you don't need. They also offer a range of clips and prices, the cheap ones work fine.

#9 · (Edited)
From talking with Ted about my design which has 3 foundation wall, he said just a normal stud wall with the DD+GG and IB3 brackets at the top is all you need for those as they will be decoupled from the foundation wall as long as you leave a 1" gap. Clips and channel on the ceiling for sure! On my non foundation wall I'm also doing a double stud wall. Have you considered that? If you don't have the space then I would probably just do a staggered wall setup, from everything I have read its just as effective as clips and channels but cheaper and easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.