Stolly's Home Theater Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Stolly's Home Theater Build

So been lurking a while and well the wife and I are building a house now and I need to get all my runs accounted for so I don't have a $500 change order later. So I'm here to ask y'all's opinion, I've talked to a coworker and a couple other tech buddies of mine and I have a couple options available.
So I'm going to share my favorite option and would like y'all's input. So the house is 3000sq ft and the living room is where I will be viewing from my projector from onto the wall that the guest bedroom is shared with. Under the stairs will be my media center in the closet, there is plenty of room in there and I have in the plans to put an extra dedicated outlet in there for all the goodies. Plan is to build a media server and put that in there to view all my downloaded and saved movies I've collected over the years. Also going to put my Xbox and receiver in there and have all the surround sound ran into there.
From there I have to run an HDMI upto the projector which will also have its own outlet up there. Also going to run cat5 from the closet to the office to my main computer in there so I can transfer files between server and computer. I also want to run a cat5 from the server to the master bedroom so I can view anything from not only the living room but my bedroom. For ease of not having to run an HDMI from server to master I'm thinking of just using a Roku3 up there also so it's super easy for the wife. Both systems will be using Plex to play all my downloaded media, other than that it'll be Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, GPM, etc. I do lots of music listening to while I'm doing random projects around the house which I was told I could use my tablet or phone with the Logmein app to control my server remotely aka from the couch. Anyone used this or have a better idea? This also promotes the question can I just use a tablet as a monitor for my Xbox or if I get the nexus player when I don't want to turn the projector on as a monitor just to play music?

Pics coming soon of the plans

Last edited by Stolly08; 02-16-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Green is cat5, yellow is HDMI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20150216_114229_1424104975027.jpeg
Views:	20