What threshold did you use for your HT with door seals? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By doublewing11
  • 1 Post By ClemsonJeeper
  • 1 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By ClemsonJeeper

post #1 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What threshold did you use for your HT with door seals?

Kind of a specific/odd question, but my door showed up today so I'm thinking of how to install it. My door seals are on backorder from SPC, but I figured I can at least hang the door.

What did you all use for the bottom threshold that seals well with the door seals that we all use? This will be a carpet -> carpet transition...

Thanks!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Hardwood.
I notched the ends to fit under the door frame with slight gap for expansion due to humidity, sealed those with tan non-hardening caulk (actually same as I use for my outside log home sealing), then construction glue with weight on top to set it in place. Rock solid, and durable.

Final result, my seals and auto door bottom are due tomorrow from http://www.tmsoundproofing.com/Door-...f-Gaskets.html, as Ted's company does not sell for 48" wide door.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 02-17-2015 at 03:36 AM. Reason: made pictures larger for easy viewing
post #3 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That door looks massive!! and awesome!

How does it cover the carpet? Was your carpet finished/tacked into place before you installed the hard wood? Having difficulty seeing detail in the thumbnail photos.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Why couldn't you find some exotic wood to transition between carpets? Would look a lot better than aluminum threshold and be easier to use drop down door seal?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	549449  
post #5 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

How does it cover the carpet? Was your carpet finished/tacked into place before you installed the hard wood? Having difficulty seeing detail in the thumbnail photos.
3/4" tongue and groove should be slightly rolled over on edges so carpet lays down on wood. No sharp edges and carpet layer will thank you as he will have something to butt up against. I would be very careful putting down too much adhesive and would also nail a few small ringshanks on edge then fill.

Done right, carpet elevation should be perfect considering type/thickness of pad and carpet.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0025.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	549489  
mtbdudex likes this.

Last edited by doublewing11; 02-16-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
3/4" tongue and groove should be slightly rolled over on edges so carpet lays down on wood. No sharp edges and carpet layer will thank you as he will have something to butt up against. I would be very careful putting down too much adhesive and would also nail a few small ringshanks on edge then fill.

Done right, carpet elevation should be perfect considering type/thickness of pad and carpet.

Yeah, I'm just wondering what the best thing to leave the carpet installer would be. I like the idea of getting a block of hardwood and gluing it to the concrete. However, my question is, should I cut a rabbit joint underneath the lip of the hardwood so that the installer can tuck the carpet underneath it? If so, I guess the height of the rabbit would need to be dependent on the thickness of the carpet...

post #7 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just wondering what the best thing to leave the carpet installer would be. I like the idea of getting a block of hardwood and gluing it to the concrete. However, my question is, should I cut a rabbit joint underneath the lip of the hardwood so that the installer can tuck the carpet underneath it? If so, I guess the height of the rabbit would need to be dependent on the thickness of the carpet...
No...........just slightly round edge on hardwood..........carpet lays down better.

Tack strip or glue down will be adjacent to threshold and installer will have carpet lay up against substrate/hardwood........or whatever you use.

Best case scenario, carpet is ever so slightly higher than threshold...........rolls right on rounded edge.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
No...........just slightly round edge on hardwood..........carpet lays down better.

Tack strip or glue down will be adjacent to threshold and installer will have carpet lay up against substrate/hardwood........or whatever you use.

Best case scenario, carpet is ever so slightly higher than threshold...........rolls right on rounded edge.
+ 1

I also have hardwood between my two carpets.

Cheers,
post #9 of 21 Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Slightly round edge on the bottom, top, or both? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions - I've never done this before or seen it in person so kinda guessing at it.
doublewing11 likes this.

post #10 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry - I edited the post and made the images larger, look at post#2 again

Quote:

doublewing11 is right, I looked at using real 1" thick stair treads vs real 3/4" thick hardwood, upon measuring carpet/pad the 3/4" hardwood is perfect, both the lowes carpet used in the general rec room and the very expensive HT carpet
Here's a view with camera on the threshold looking at both carpets for reference:

Quote:
Slightly round edge on the bottom, top, or both? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions - I've never done this before or seen it in person so kinda guessing at it.
I took that 3/4" thick hardwood, put slight round on only the top both sides via wood file so when walking you don't feel a sharp edge.
No need the bottom to put a round edge on it....

Handle side view from outside looking down .... ....... ........ ........ ... view from inside looking down

Hinge side inside the HT looking down

Also, your carpet installer will use tack board along non-walking areas, and at walking areas he will glue the pad down and then double sided tape to bottom of carper/top of pad, it grips and no shifting. Some carpet edge seam sealer so nor fraying, and done.
I did this DIY carpet re-do over just 2 weeks, as my riser re-do project with new door install, that is what I did, link will take you to post 147 door/carpet recent stuff.
"The Envelope" Home Theatre 2014: Mike R(mtbdudex) DIY 11.3 Audio, 2.35 Scope 130in screen

btw, doublewing11 has some awesome wood flooring with character going on there!
doublewing11 likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 02-17-2015 at 03:57 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Awesome. This is exactly what I needed. Sounds like I can just get a piece of some nice hardwood, put a slight roundover on the top and just glue it to the ground and call it a day. Thanks for the detailed response!

post #12 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Awesome. This is exactly what I needed. Sounds like I can just get a piece of some nice hardwood, put a slight roundover on the top and just glue it to the ground and call it a day. Thanks for the detailed response!
Just FYI I had this construction glue lying around, as it goes on white and dries clear, I like it for general usage stuff when I need good holding power, I always have a tube ready. Any construction glue should be fine.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Just FYI I had this construction glue lying around, as it goes on white and dries clear, I like it for general usage stuff when I need good holding power, I always have a tube ready. Any construction glue should be fine.
I have so many random tubes of construction glue, caulk, etc laying around as a product of this build its not even funny. I'm well covered in that department!
mtbdudex likes this.

post #14 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
+ 1

I also have hardwood between my two carpets.

Cheers,
Hey Peter..............I see your from down under........

Give me the lowdown on Australian Cypress...........................is it actually junk wood in your parts? I absolutely love the wood.......paid a pretty penny for it too! Just checking what your thoughts are on the wood?
post #15 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You got it!

BTW..................find a wood supplier, and forge though some exotic woods. Some really nice African Mahogany if you want dark.......teak...........you name it. You can even find wood to match your carpet too! Have some fun and spend little coin.......as in less than $20..........there are some really interesting hardwoods available.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Round top edges only..................don't even mess with the bottom. If you have a router.................just nick top edges with very slight round. A 1/4 round bit works............but I would not use the "Full Monty"..........ie. not full 1/4 round.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Peter..............I see your from down under........

Give me the lowdown on Australian Cypress...........................is it actually junk wood in your parts? I absolutely love the wood.......paid a pretty penny for it too! Just checking what your thoughts are on the wood?
Sorry ... but I'm so not a timber expert !

All of our flooring is blackbutt which is a very common local hardwood we choose just for it's appearance.

Australian Cypress doesn't seem that common, but I did find this.

How much have you got and what are you using it for ?

Cheers,
post #18 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Sorry ... but I'm so not a timber expert !

All of our flooring is blackbutt which is a very common local hardwood we choose just for it's appearance.

Australian Cypress doesn't seem that common, but I did find this.

How much have you got and what are you using it for ?

Cheers,
We layed 1200 square feet of imported Australian Cypress flooring in our kitchen, dining, great room, and theater foyer. Photos above are samples. Since you were from Australia.............thought maybe wood was very common. Evidently not...............was just wondering.

We do absolutely love the wood ............
post #19 of 21 Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We layed 1200 square feet of imported Australian Cypress flooring in our kitchen, dining, great room, and theater foyer. Photos above are samples. Since you were from Australia.............thought maybe wood was very common. Evidently not...............was just wondering.

We do absolutely love the wood ............
Timber flooring is hugely popular here, I'm just not an expert.

I don't remember being offered Australian Cypress when we were selecting ours. Obviously there's more money in exporting it !

Cheers,
post #20 of 21 Old 02-18-2015, 05:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 826
In the past when I needed a thick wide piece of oak I found it in the stair parts section of HD. It was a stair tread. I just modified to what I needed.
post #21 of 21 Old Today, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Clemson jeeper... are you located in Clemson? I am?hopefully moving back soon and would love to check out your finished theater room... I will even forgive you your affiliation with the state agriculture school..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction