Airflow Meter for balancing HVAC system - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By Mr.Tim
post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Airflow Meter for balancing HVAC system

I figure there are some HVAC experts here who have experience with Airflow Meter for balancing HVAC system.

My home is Geothermal closed loop and forced air, no zones and no auto dampers anywhere.
Old school, built in 2002....

I'd like to use a Airflow Meter for balancing HVAC system in my home, and my HT.
Desire is under $40 if possible, I see some on Amazon and desire feedback.

General Tools & Instruments DAF3010B Airflow Seeker Digital Airflow Meter, List Price: $39.99 Price: $28.23
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-...ir+speed+meter

AAB ABM-100 Airflow Anemometer for iOS & Android Smart Devices/Phones; Price: $44.95
http://www.amazon.com/AAB-ABM-100-Ai...A39CLFO3H28J77

Mastech MS6252A Portable Digital Anemometer Handheld LCD Electronic Wind Speed Air Volume Measuring Meter Backlight; List Price: $114.47 Price: $33.42 + $2.49 shipping You Save: $81.05 (71%)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mr.Tim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have a General Tools model that never gave me any problems. However it was 200+

The first one doesn't have the ability to tell you CFM (sure you can figure it out.. but...)

Extech is another good brand.

Given the 3 choices I would go for the Mastech.

Tim
mtbdudex likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
I have a General Tools model that never gave me any problems. However it was 200+

The first one doesn't have the ability to tell you CFM (sure you can figure it out.. but...)

Extech is another good brand.

Given the 3 choices I would go for the Mastech.

Tim
Yea - the Mastech seems the best tool for the job and priced right, from their description:.
Quote:
  • Portable professional measuring instrument.
  • Used for measuring wind speed and air volume in some certain area.
  • With large screen LCD display and backlight, easy to read data in dark environment.
  • Can be held in hands or fixed on tripods to measure wind speed and air volume.
  • Has the function of holding the reading data and displaying the maximum or minimum value.
Features:
Data holding and maximum/ minimum value display.
Easy to set area dimensions and to store them into the meter's internal memory for next power on.
Various units for options: units of area (m2, ft2), units of wind speed (m/s, km/h, mil/h, ft/m, ft/s, knots) and units of air volume (CMS, CMM, CFM).
Low battery indication.
Supplied with a specially designed storage bag for you to carry and protect the instrument.
Ideal instrument for windsurfing, sailing, fishing, kite flying and mountaineering, etc.
Can also be used for industrial and home purpose such as measuring wind speed and temperature of CPU computer fans, air conditioners, air blowers, etc.
It can be turned off by pressing the Power key.
And it can also turn off its power automatically. You can long press the FUN button to open or close its function of automatic power off.

Specifications:
Display: large screen LCD
Sampling rate: approx. 0.4 seconds/ time
Operating temperature: 0 to 40 Celsius degree
Operating relative humidity: 0 to 85%RH (non condensing)
Detector working temperature: -20 to 80 Celsius degree
Detector working humidity: 0 to 95%RH (non condensing)
Storage temperature: -10 to 50 Celsius degree
Storage relative humidity: 0 to 80%RH (non condensing)
Certificate: EMC

Just that smartphone one will save the data for you in a log....and adding comments seems handy ...
Quote:
The ABM-100 Airflow Balancing Meter is an anemometer that fits in your pocket. It's our first of a series of tools that connect to smart devices and are specifically designed for the HVAC industry. The ABM-100 easily and instantly converts air speed into air volume for you. Then it records the data to a history log which can be emailed for professional looking reports. Download one of our free apps for iOS or Android and plug in your ABM-100 meter - it's really that easy. Enter the grille or duct dimensions and then hold it up to a grille or duct opening. Your phone does the rest. By using a series of algorithms the ABM automatically calculates the airflow volume. No more memorizing formulas and using a calculator and notepad. The ABM-100 also provides the ability to automatically adjust the free space calculation if a grille is present. It also has gives the ability to add comments with each reading if desired. The ABM-100 is designed to be better than any other handheld anemometer on the market. The ABM-100 was calibrated for extreme accuracy at the University of Florida's Aerospace Engineering Department
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I don't know that saving the data is that big of a deal.

Ideally you start knowing how many CFM you need per room.. the meter would just help you dial in the proper CFM.

I like having a tool you can just pick up an use. You will probably use this once and it will collect dst for 2 years.. by which time you have new phone an now you have to install the app again.. then your friend wants to borrow it but he doesn't have the app etc...

If you were regularly doing large complicated installs I could see it.. but for intermittent use I don't see the value.

Tim
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^agree your logic , good and simple

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just ordered it, and I went with the "B model with temp and humidity % also, plus ability for USB upload if desired.
$50 vs $33, I'll give up a few Starbucks to offset having temp and humidity % as more data, with my log home geothermal forced air is less "hot" that gas forced air, so I'm curious runs near the unit their temp vs runs far away...and how that then takes balancing also (slightly lower temp far away needs more airflow , basic thermodynamics and enthalpy - need correct units of energy delivered based on airspace it's managing)
Mastech MS6252B Portable Digital Anemometer Handheld LCD Electronic Wind Speed Air Volume Measuring Meter with Temperature and Humidity Display USB Data Upload Back
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AC3OWPL0X1GLE
Quote:
MS6252B DIGITAL ANEMOMETER WITH TEMPERATURE & HUMIDITY TESTER

Features:

• Anemometer with Ambient Temperature & Humidity Tester and USB Interface
  • Simultaneous display of Ambient Temperature/Humidity and Air Flow or Air Velocity
  • Easy to set Area from 0.001m2 to 9.999m2 / (0.001ft2 to 9.999ft2)
  • Large LCD and Bright Display Back Light
  • Data Hold and MAX/MIN
  • Auto Power Off
  • Complete with 9V 6F22 battery and carrying case

Last edited by mtbdudex; Today at 04:09 PM.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Solid pick. Temp is very useful (I don't have it built in); good for locating where they forgot to insulate the ductwork!

Be sure to post your findings once you get a chance to use it.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page