Sorry.. another I need advice thread! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile Sorry.. another I need advice thread!

Ive updated the floorplan (as the house changed model and so went the basment) pic i have... space is a bit tight, thankfully my PM is letting me move the sump over and will hopefully keep in mind my future plans for the space.

My budget is tiny... almost negative, thanks to buying the house (jeez the options add up fast). I have some old stuff i can reuse if it works and i picked up an epson 3500 on a deal. I was thinking of the x2100 denon as i cant afford atmos right now. I have a new pair of polk 65t i think, a center and sub to match... maybe i can use those for now. Would in wall monoprice work for rears and sides? or would they not play with the polks?

I may need to add access doors for the furnace and water heater; i can add a door in theater for the w/h and maybe a door into the main finished area for the furnace access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BASEMENT LAYOUT.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	662378  

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.

Last edited by Metric; 04-12-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
I just signed a contract on a new home; its not huge but it does have a basement! I can finally get my own spot again with a projector. The space I have is pretty small so im looking for advice on number of seats? the screen size? the screen aspect? the projector I should use (about 2k budget)?

When the house is built they will finish the main section but if I want the media room finished it will be 7k and I honestly think I would want to change it around (maybe stage, maybe riser, maybe different carpet) so im thinking about tackling the job myself.

The basement plan is attached.

Thanks in advance!

I'd put the projector on the other side of the wall, shining through a hole, put one wide sectional sofa in, get a good sized screen, install surround sound and viola ! Home theater. That's what I did anyway -

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think my wife would kill me if I stole the whole basement

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh hang on do you mean on the main finished side pointing into the media room? so id have a 16' wide and 12' long room?

post #5 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
I think my wife would kill me if I stole the whole basement

No need to steal the entire basement - just some of it !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #6 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Check out the Theater for Hobbits.

12x16 is pretty small, but definitely doable. You could do something similar to the above-referenced theater, but have better imaging (wouldn't have to put the seating against the rear wall, slightly wider)

Tim
post #7 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 696
The 16' wide x 12' deep option looks good, with something like a 120" screen up front. Mmmm...

Check projectorcentral.com for options on PJs, and use their Projection Calculator to determine what PJ will work (throw distance, offset (if applicable), etc.) with the dimensions of your room.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I just signed a contract on a new home; its not huge but it does have a basement! I can finally get my own spot again with a projector. The space I have is pretty small so im looking for advice on number of seats? the screen size? the screen aspect? the projector I should use (about 2k budget)?

When the house is built they will finish the main section but if I want the media room finished it will be 7k and I honestly think I would want to change it around (maybe stage, maybe riser, maybe different carpet) so im thinking about tackling the job myself.

The basement plan is attached.

Thanks in advance!
My room was 12' 2" x 16' 8" stud to stud if you are interested in how a similar space was finished.

Link below.

Pics in post 2

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
post #9 of 25 Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
My current build is 18 x 10'9" stud to stud

It can work
post #10 of 25 Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies... ive spent the last few days researching.

Im going to maintain the screen wall as the one 12' wide, so I have a bit further back to sit.. what size screen should I go for? 1.78:1 (maybe masking).

I think im going to go row of seats with maybe a second row of bar stools? does anyone have good links for bar designs and how to build?

I would do a small stage upfront, and have an AT screen.

I guess rears I would just do a pair of dipoles?

What about atmos? is the room big enough? would you go 5.1.2 or 5.1.4?

Thanks again.

post #11 of 25 Old 03-11-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

IRC requires an emergency escape and rescue opening for a finished basement.. if that is the only one then you can't obstruct it.

Wait until your first floor is finalized then work on the basement.

Tim
post #12 of 25 Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The house we are currently building has a theater room of 15 wide by 17 deep with a riser for the last row. Technically I'm losing about 30sq ft from my current build which is 11.5 x 25. But the extra width will be nice. The front of the room will have cabinets on each side so I have about 11 ft to fit a 138" 2.35 screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13 of 25 Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I changed my first post - house changed, basment changed.

So ive been doing lots of reading.

I can go AT screen, big, like 150" but id have to lose room length... no so good.

I can go not so big, normal screen and put may the speakers either side and below kind of hidden.

Im thinking i will do one row of seats, then either a second row of cinema type seats or maybe a bar with stools (eliminating a riser).

I like in wall sides, i love those minimal almost fake columns bigmouth did for one theater, just almost a mdf thick column, maybe mount the in wall in there? or maybe in wall with a picture/poster over the top but printed on fabric to allow sound through?

I cant afford atmos right now but should i pull wires for future? will i take off or is it a gimmick?

The ac/furnace/wh are in the space so need power but the panel will be in the garage - should i have a dedicated circuit put into the unfinshed space? its $250 to do so during the build.

Will hvac be easy to do given proximity of the ac/furnace?

post #14 of 25 Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like sump may be more central along wall - is it ok to box a sub into a corner hole almost? should I consider down or front firing?

post #15 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can go AT screen, big, like 150" but id have to lose room length... no so good.

I can go not so big, normal screen and put may the speakers either side and below kind of hidden.
You're going to need a lot of projector to light up a 150" screen. What's your projector budget?

First row seating would be about 12' from the screen. That's one row of seats, almost against the back wall.

I think the room is well suited to be oriented the other way.

Quote:
I like in wall sides, i love those minimal almost fake columns bigmouth did for one theater, just almost a mdf thick column, maybe mount the in wall in there? or maybe in wall with a picture/poster over the top but printed on fabric to allow sound through?
I would make the columns deep enough that you can maintain a continuous drywall aquarium wall behind them. That would probably be 4". With some tricky framing you could probably maintain a sealed room and recess the columns so they only stick out an inch or so.. Just a bit more work.

Quote:
I cant afford atmos right now but should i pull wires for future? will i take off or is it a gimmick?
I'd hate to find out the hard way Pull the wires and you won't have to worry about it.

Quote:
The ac/furnace/wh are in the space so need power but the panel will be in the garage - should i have a dedicated circuit put into the unfinshed space? its $250 to do so during the build.
Seems a little expensive to me. I would ask for a subpanel in the basement. They can put it in the mechanical room and draw power for the DHWH, sump and furnace from there. It would save the electrician a bit of time. Although given $250 to run $20 of 12-2 I don't know that it will be a bargain. It would save him from running multiple cables back to the main panelboard.

Quote:
Will hvac be easy to do given proximity of the ac/furnace?
I dunno. Seems like HVAC is never easy.

Tim
post #16 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply!

I already have an Epson 3500 in a box; its not the best CR projector but its a light canon, I think it would handle 150" ok.

Perhaps I should scrub the second row of seats? maybe do one row and a bar top? if i turn things around id only get a 15x15 room I think.

Not sure what you mean by aquarium? just drywall both sides of the wall? the furnace side and the room side?

Yeah you're right... ill pull wires in case.

$250 is expensive, ive tried limiting how many i have, i had one in the gararge for the freezer but even an normal power socket is $175 - northern Virginia seems to be a bubble when it comes to house prices/demand. Ive asked my pm the sub panel question though.

post #17 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Room is 12x20 now, according to the first post.

If you did 150" on the 20' wall you would be standing against the rear wall to get a 1:1 viewing distance. A single row would be all you could get there, and it may be too close (depends on your viewing prefs).

If you put the screen on the 12' wall you could still fit a nice size screen. I had a 120" wide AT scope screen in the same space. You could probably get a 150" diag in there as long as it is AT, but bigger screens push the seating back. You would have to figure out the viewing angles (width-wise not height-wise like you would for a riser).

In that orientation you could fit a row and a bar behind without any difficulty. Two rows of seats.. Could be possible. Again, depends on your viewing prefs.

I think the subpanel is worthwhile as long as it's cheaper than having somebody do it later. Any equipment you want to add will likely be easily sourced from the subpanel versus wherever your main panel is.

Tim
post #18 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yeah its almost that, its about 142x250 with a bump for the furnace... the plan would be enter at the back, screen opposite on the 142 width wall. A 150 screen would fill the whole thing so id have to think about AT screens? then that would take room length so maybe in walls behind the screen would work?

My project manager just wrote back...

We run all of the wires to the panel in the garage. Unfortunately, there isn't an option to run a sub panel in the mechanical room.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

re subpanel that stinks.. although the price probably would have been prohibitive. If you needed to do runs later how hard would it be to get to the main panel? I would say you need at least 2 circuits for the theater, but at $500 that money would be better spent on a subpanel.

I would definitely look at an AT screen. In my opinion they are the way to go. I would never do anything but AT. However, it's just my opinion. It would eliminate any issues with speaker placement.

Tim
post #20 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Looks like sump may be more central along wall - is it ok to box a sub into a corner hole almost? should I consider down or front firing?
Putting a sub in a corner can be okay (see below), but I wouldn't hide it in an alcove if it were me. Don't worry about down-firing or front-firing differences. Sound at those lower frequencies below 80hz is non-directional. You could be sitting right next to a sub and you won't be able to tell where it's sound is coming from, so it doesn't really matter where the driver is pointed...it should fill the room. Sitting in an alcove, though, could do some weird things regarding interfering with reflections and causing peaks and valleys in the bass. It's always better to have two or more subs to even things out. The best placement seems to two subs mid-wall on opposing walls (doesn't matter which ones), but if that's not possible, try to put them opposite each other in whatever placement you can do (i.e. if you put one in the front left corner, put the other one in the back right corner). If you want nice, even bass, plan for at least two subs (even if you can't buy both now). The difference when you add the second one should be very apparent at certain locations in your room.

--
My current build: Whisper Mountain Theater
post #21 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with the alcove. Sans a professional designing a specific sub (or rather subs) for your specific space, it's better to plan for adjustment versus building in a feature that dictates where your sub must go.

It would seem to me that you may do well with an IB sub arrangement.

1/4 points along the wall are generally a good place to start, but again it depends on what sub you use. If it slacks off on the low end, placing it in the corner could actually even out the response.

I got a lot of help from the guys here who helped plan where to put my subs, but there was also a lot of trial and error. Moving just a few inches made big differences. I ended up with 2 subs behind the screen at 1/4 points along the front wall and the port at the top of the enclosure and two subs in the rear at quarter points.

Tim
post #22 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, i was just trying to keep it out the way and maintain space. If i go behind the screen wall it shortens the room, if its out in the open it kinda looks ugly... ill do more research.

With regard to the power my pm tells me the garage slab sits lower than the first floor walls so i should be able to pull cabling from the main panel after the fact.

This is all a few months away so i have lots of time to research and gather info.

Last edited by Metric; 04-15-2015 at 01:10 PM.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Not necessarily.. If you go AT screen with regular speakers the subs probably won't take up more space than you would have already lost due to the LCR (unless you go in-wall for LCR).

They also usually fit underneath the screen so it would not affect your viewing distance. If you did an IB setup space won't be an issue.

Good to know you can pull cable later. I would probably do that versus paying anything now.

Tim

Tim
post #24 of 25 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A friend of mine had a very similar set up...
post #25 of 25 Unread Today, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here a pic of the build so far... you can see the future theater behind where the garage pad will be - not huge.. and they still have to put a furnace in there. Im hoping to be built by end of june so i can get cracking with things in july.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basementwalls.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	670873  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page