Looking for pre-build suggestions... - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SierraMikeBravo

post #1 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looking for pre-build suggestions...

We will be starting a new house build soon with a dedicated theater room. Attached is my initial sketch of the room and lobby. This will be on the second floor above the garage. The room will be 10ft high on the lower level (front row). I'm thinking about doing a double tray/soffit ceiling with ceiling speakers in the inner tray/soffit. A few of my current questions are listed below. Any advice/suggestions/proposed layouts would be greatly appreciated. I will start a build thread closer to construction time (couple of months). Thanks in advance!

The black rectangles around the theater are columns...

• Is that a bad place for the door?? I know that it is close to the early reflection area but it seems like the most logical place for it.
  • Would you make the door to the equipment room be in the theater rather than lobby? I see so much effort being put into sealed rooms, I hate to add a second door to the theater...but having a door in the theater would make more sense for convenience (swapping disks etc.).
  • Would you use the standard "movie theater style" seating for the second row? It allows for the second row to be closer to the screen and allows room for the bar area.
  • Should I include the bar area? Most of the time, the room will be used by my wife and I. However, for family gatherings, we have 15 to 20 people. I could see the room becoming a gathering spot. Do people with the bar area use it much? Removing it would allow the seating to be pushed back a bit while still leaving some space from the back wall. I have the riser at 9ft. Is that too deep?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	580577  

Last edited by Romans828; 03-03-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Can you flip the orientation of your theater room? Perhaps the screen can go on the right side rather than the left. This puts the door toward the back of the theater which is typically recommended.

Unless you need the bar area for overflow seating to watch movies, I would remove the bar.. you already have a common area outside just outside the room.. I'd put a nicer bar in that area and use the theater space for nicer seats.

just a thought...
post #3 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
Can you flip the orientation of your theater room? Perhaps the screen can go on the right side rather than the left. This puts the door toward the back of the theater which is typically recommended.

Unless you need the bar area for overflow seating to watch movies, I would remove the bar.. you already have a common area outside just outside the room.. I'd put a nicer bar in that area and use the theater space for nicer seats.

just a thought...
Thanks for the response Eikon. I have thought about flipping the room. The door coming into the lobby leads to the rest of the house...so it can't move. The negatives that I would see with flipping just the theater would be:

1. You would have to step up...into the theater room (riser) from the lobby. I'm sure there is a way to do this without it being awkward.
  2. The projector would be further from the equipment room. I've read about issues with HDMI length...so was hoping to keep the projector as close to the equipment room as possible.
  3. Vampires could sneak up on you from behind while watching at high volumes.
post #4 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Some of the theater style seats look pretty cool. I'm planning on a black and blue theme for the room. However, the charcoal gray in the House on a Hill thread has me thinking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TheaterSeats.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	581041  
post #5 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My door is in the exact same location and it doesn't bother me at all.
It might be nice to have it at the back but it really didn't work for me.

You should be able to add acoustic treatment to the door if needed.

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12

Last edited by Kamikaze13; 03-03-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added comment
post #6 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
My door is in the exact same location and it doesn't bother me at all.
It might be nice to have it at the back but it really didn't work for me.

You should be able to add acoustic treatment to the door if needed.
Thanks Kamikaze. Do you have that door opening into the room or do you pull it open from the outside? If I opened it into the room, it would be more flush with the walls. If I pulled it open from the lobby, it would allow room for acoustic treatments. It would be nice to have a flush treated door like the one in the attached picture. However, I don't know if I can pull that off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f70255a9_theatre8_zps373a4321 (2).jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	581169  
post #7 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
Thanks Kamikaze. Do you have that door opening into the room or do you pull it open from the outside? If I opened it into the room, it would be more flush with the walls. If I pulled it open from the lobby, it would allow room for acoustic treatments. It would be nice to have a flush treated door like the one in the attached picture. However, I don't know if I can pull that off.
Mine swings out. Definitely less distracting that way if someone comes or goes.

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12
post #8 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 79
It's not a bad layout. However, you are going to have trouble with the second row. The columns behind the first row is fine, but the second row has nothing. You have to use direct radiators for Atmos, and same guidelines of 110 degrees behind the listener applies. One set of speakers for both rows won't make for a good experience for the second row; unless you plan to not worry about them...then the question is why buy the seats? Place your ceiling speakers in the drawing as well so we can see.
Romans828 likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oh and thanks for admiring one of our theaters!
post #10 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post
It's not a bad layout. However, you are going to have trouble with the second row. The columns behind the first row is fine, but the second row has nothing. You have to use direct radiators for Atmos, and same guidelines of 110 degrees behind the listener applies. One set of speakers for both rows won't make for a good experience for the second row; unless you plan to not worry about them...then the question is why buy the seats? Place your ceiling speakers in the drawing as well so we can see.
Thanks for the response SierraMikeBravo! Unfortunately, I have already bought the Klipsch KS-7800-THX for my surrounds. I bought them before knowing much about Atmos. For that reason, I'm not going to pre-buy anything else. There are too many technologies in flux. Even though they are "in wall", I thought that I would put them in columns to avoid holes in the main walls. My hope was that they would service both rows...with the front row being the primary seating position. I know direct radiators are recommended but are they required? I suppose that I could sell the KS-7800-THX's but prefer not (still in unopened boxes). I would likely lose money. My plan was to use the KL-7502s (attached) in the ceiling on an inner tray/soffit (similar to the attached picture). My inner tray/soffit would probably need to be wider than the one in the picture. I have been debating on 2 ceiling speakers vs. 4. In the home theater geeks episode, Anthony Grimani mentioned that he preferred the additional wides over the 4 ceiling setup. This house hasn't been started yet so I have time to change things up. Do you recommend two sets of side surrounds?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KS-7800-THX.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	581625   Click image for larger version

Name:	kl-7502-thx-web.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	581633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	581641  
post #11 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Oh and thanks for admiring one of our theaters!
That theater is awesome!!
post #12 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Direct radiators are required, at this time, for Atmos. Losing money on equipment is a part of theater life. There is a caviat to what Grimani likes, and that is, it completely depends on the room. Personally, I disagree with him. There are specific locations inceiling speakers need to go. We cannot just haphazardly place them. Reflections off the floor and ceiling are in very specific locations and are room dependent. Every room that we have drawn as late, has required some extensive analysis for best placement of speakers. A lot more difficult than conventional 7.1. As far as the state of flux, hogwash! It's really all been figured out. It just needs to trickle down into the budget category. The hard part is that it is really room dependent how it is implemented.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-03-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Direct radiators are required, at this time, for Atmos. Losing money on equipment is a part of theater life. There is a caviat to what Grimani likes, and that is, it completely depends on the room. Personally, I disagree with him. There are specific locations inceiling speakers need to go. We cannot just haphazardly place them. Reflections off the floor and ceiling are in very specific locations and are room dependent. Every room that we have drawn as late, has required some extensive analysis for best placement of speakers. A lot more difficult than conventional 7.1. As far as the state of flux, hogwash! It's really all been figured out. It just needs to trickle down into the budget category. The hard part is that it is really room dependent how it is implemented.
I was afraid that you would say that about the surrounds. In the same episode, Grimani seemed to like the idea of wider dispersion speakers...even in an Atmos setup. It seemed to make sense to me since the Atmos "listening rooms" use a lot more speakers. However, the Dolby spec definitely aligns with you...and they should know better than anyone.

There seems to be a lot of people on the forum waiting for a single setup that works well for Atmos, Auro and DTS:X. This along with all of the HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 stuff is what I'm referring to as flux. I'm going to wait for the next generation of receivers, projectors, blu-ray players since I'm starting from scratch. I'm guessing that the odds of them working correctly will be a bit better. I thought that buying speakers early would be a safe bet. So much for that!

Thanks again for the input!

Last edited by Romans828; 03-03-2015 at 04:44 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone out there have thoughts on the original questions?

• Is that a bad place for the door?? I know that it is close to the early reflection area but it seems like the most logical place for it.
  • Would you make the door to the equipment room be in the theater rather than lobby? I see so much effort being put into sealed rooms, I hate to add a second door to the theater...but having a door in the theater would make more sense for convenience (swapping disks etc.).
  • Would you use the standard "movie theater style" seating for the second row? It allows for the second row to be closer to the screen and allows room for the bar area.
  • Should I include the bar area? Most of the time, the room will be used by my wife and I. However, for family gatherings, we have 15 to 20 people. I could see the room becoming a gathering spot. Do people with the bar area use it much? Removing it would allow the seating to be pushed back a bit while still leaving some space from the back wall. I have the riser at 9ft. Is that too deep?
post #15 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

This goes back to what we discussed. Door placement is dictated by column placement. If the columns change, so will the door location. As drawn, it's fine.

Equipment rack should be outside theater.

Bar should be removed

Why do you need to sit closer to the screen in the second row? Just make the screen the appropriate size.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This goes back to what we discussed. Door placement is dictated by column placement. If the columns change, so will the door location. As drawn, it's fine.

Equipment rack should be outside theater.

Bar should be removed

Why do you need to sit closer to the screen in the second row? Just make the screen the appropriate size.
I just thought that a few feet closer would be more immersive for the second row. If I remove the bar, I'll just go with the standard reclining home theater seating. I will need to add an additional column in that scenario. Thanks for the suggestions!
post #17 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Attached is an alternate version with no bar, an additional column, and reclining home theater seating for the back row...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NoBar.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	583169  
post #18 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Attached is an alternate version with no bar, an additional column, and reclining home theater seating for the back row...
Better placement, but now the symmetry of the room is out of alignment with the column placement. I would also say the seats are too far back. Now comes the hard part. Placement is easy, getting the rest of the room to work with it...that is the difficult and think out of the box part.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional
Theater Design Information
post #19 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Better placement, but now the symmetry of the room is out of alignment with the column placement. I would also say the seats are too far back. Now comes the hard part. Placement is easy, getting the rest of the room to work with it...that is the difficult and think out of the box part.
Yep, Getting the the back columns in the correct spots throws off the spacing a bit. I need to take a closer look at your layout (attached) I still can't get over those doors in the back. They look killer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	f70255a9_theatre8_zps373a4321 (1).jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	583905  
post #20 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Anyone out there have thoughts on the original questions?
Opinion time!

The door's fine there. Worst case is you'd need absorption or diffusion right there and then you just mount the panel right on the door. No muss; no fuss.

I'd definitely put the door to the equipment room outside of the theater. You might not need to access the equipment very frequently at all if you rip all of your discs onto a media server and control that remotely. If you do like to handle the equipment regularly, then you might consider soundproofing the equipment room and putting just the front of the rack through the wall. Check out the Show me your RACK thread for tons of great ideas how that can work.

Only you can decide if a bar makes sense or not for you and the way you use the theater. I do know of a number of theaters that use the bar pretty frequently. I know of at least one that use the bar pretty much every week, since they treat it as a table to eat dinner at while watching a movie. If I had the room, then I'd seriously consider a bar or similar.

Cinema seating vs recliners. I personally am not a fan of the seats in commercial movie theaters, so I wouldn't subject my guests to them. From my perspective, one of the (many) big advantages of a home theater over a commercial one is the vastly better seating comfort. But... I don't have a universal opinion on that. There are absolutely big fans of getting "official" seating from either an authenticity point of view or simply to cram as many people as possible in room. Recliners take up quite a bit of room.

9ft is not too deep for a riser. The "standard" size for a riser starts at 7ft, so 9ft is well within the ballpark. Gives you more room behind the seats, too.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-04-2015, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Opinion time!

The door's fine there. Worst case is you'd need absorption or diffusion right there and then you just mount the panel right on the door. No muss; no fuss.

I'd definitely put the door to the equipment room outside of the theater. You might not need to access the equipment very frequently at all if you rip all of your discs onto a media server and control that remotely. If you do like to handle the equipment regularly, then you might consider soundproofing the equipment room and putting just the front of the rack through the wall. Check out the Show me your RACK thread for tons of great ideas how that can work.

Only you can decide if a bar makes sense or not for you and the way you use the theater. I do know of a number of theaters that use the bar pretty frequently. I know of at least one that use the bar pretty much every week, since they treat it as a table to eat dinner at while watching a movie. If I had the room, then I'd seriously consider a bar or similar.

Cinema seating vs recliners. I personally am not a fan of the seats in commercial movie theaters, so I wouldn't subject my guests to them. From my perspective, one of the (many) big advantages of a home theater over a commercial one is the vastly better seating comfort. But... I don't have a universal opinion on that. There are absolutely big fans of getting "official" seating from either an authenticity point of view or simply to cram as many people as possible in room. Recliners take up quite a bit of room.

9ft is not too deep for a riser. The "standard" size for a riser starts at 7ft, so 9ft is well within the ballpark. Gives you more room behind the seats, too.

Thanks Granroth! I've really enjoyed the detail of your threads. I've learned a lot from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page