Theater room size limitation - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Theater room size limitation

I have moved and the space I have to work with in the basement is limited (probably 15 by 15 with 8 foot ceilings at the most). The equipment I have (had) running in the last room (which was 22 x 12) sounded ok. Will running the same equipment in the smaller room improve or degrade the acoustics?

Denon 3811ci
Mirage M3's (Mains)
Mirage MC-2
Mirage BPS-1's (surrounds x4)
Mirage BPS 400 x4 (subs)
60" Panasonic VT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacolon View Post
I have moved and the space I have to work with in the basement is limited (probably 15 by 15 with 8 foot ceilings at the most). The equipment I have (had) running in the last room (which was 22 x 12) sounded ok. Will running the same equipment in the smaller room improve or degrade the acoustics?
I'm not expert on this, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but your equipment just produces sound. There's no reason your equipment would work well in one room and not another. I guess if the room was really big and your amp didn't have enough power, but in your case you're going to a smaller room. Acoustics are really about the physical properties of the room itself not the sound equipment. I forget the size, but it's something like rooms that are under 22ft (?) are considered small rooms. Smaller rooms have extra challenges with sound, because of the short travel distance between reflective surfaces. Square rooms are another variable that are best to avoid if possible.

With that being said, you have to work with the space you have. It's not like you're not going to set your equipment up just because it's not ideal lots of people have small rooms in a house setting. You can also do sound treatments to the room to fix any acoustic issues. If nothing else add some sound treatment at the first reflection points between you and the speakers. Honestly, the Audio > Audio Theory, setup and chat forum might be better at advising you on this. At least that's were I'd start.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-07-2015, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Since no one else posted yet, I'll add that your 15x15x8 dimensions will cause some sound problems, because they're multiples. But there are a lot more factors. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page