Wendell Lucas THX Cinema build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #1 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Wendell Lucas THX Cinema build

It’s late at night, summer time, and very hot outside. But I am enjoying the nice cool AC indoors. I slowly walk down a long cramped dark hallway and turn the corner into open space. As I look around I find myself in a very large room with many seats. As I whisper to my Grandfather (Wendell Frederick) “where should we sit?” I find it strange how my voice sounds, dead, no reverberation off any walls, a very odd sensation. The decorative look of the walls and decorum in the room makes me feel as though I am in a concert hall but this is no concert. I feel as though I am on stage and everyone is looking at me. We walk up the side of the room and my grandpa leads me and my younger brother over to a spot. I sit down and start to get comfortable in my seat, when I start to hear large motors coming on moving curtains out of the way in front of me. Lights start dimming all around me. I find myself enveloped in darkness that is strangely calming, yet I am full of anticipation. I feel as though I am falling down into an abyss and need to ground myself similar to vertigo or maybe just a floating feeling. I can slowly make out only the smallest of blue lights on the floor indicating steps going down from where I am sitting. Now I am grounded but it is still dark. I can almost make out what is in front of me but I am distracted by the deafening silence. I can no longer hear background conversations and whisperings but I can still make out subtle sounds of motions around me. I feel like everyone can hear my heart beating. There is a strange atmosphere that can be felt though all those around me. A very slight hissing sound from all directions can be heard almost as if it was in my head. The feeling is meshed with an uncanny sense of high power at bay, just waiting to come out given referenced little popping sounds that can be heard. It’s like standing next to a high power transformer about to spark. I can smell some familiar and not so familiar smells like chemically treated fabrics or something like that new car smell. After what I am sure is no where near as long as it felt, the room lights up with the words STARWARS in my face as I was hammered with music from all directions! Fading away as I am looking out into space with hug ships flying over my head. I could hear the amazing sounds from all directions. This made me feel for the first time as if I had been in space. It was not the last, but it is the beginning of my home theater story.

This was not in my home theater but another. That day in 1979, I was only six years old and had been to movies before, but my grandpa gave me something special that day and many days after. It was the surround sound movie experience that was coming into play at many movie theaters across the country. Almost every time I would go see him he would take me to see Star Wars at that theater again and again (opened in 1924 and is what is now the Crown Theatre in Crown Point Indiana), if it were still showing. And let me tell you, they milked it for years! I never got jaded to the experience and never will. I remember thinking even then at six years old, wouldn’t it be cool to have my own movie theater and experience that every day. From that point on I became a Star Wars and later THX fan. I know what you are thinking, the THX thing is way over rated and way over priced and most, if not always, you can do much better without the THX logo on it. I agree, but in the early 90s when my love for music, Audio-Video equipment, and more importantly home theater came into play. I always heard people talked about how sick that THX Theater here and there was (for example the Abingdon THX Cinemall in VA is hands down the best THX cinema I have ever heard, the old theater floor NOT the newer addition). When I went to hear it, I could not help but agree. So, I thought to myself after my last two home theaters (nothing worth even posting) what theme I might go with, given a lot of equipment I already have and or wanted. I also found that as I was designing and building this theater, that the Star Wars dark empire look came out subliminally into my final design. About half way through this build, one day my wife came down to see how it was going. I remember it so clearly. She stopped and gazed at part of what was done. After standing there for a few minutes she gave me that look (you married men out there know what I am talking about). I was thinking to myself, “Here it comes. This might not be good”. She said “Are you sure the dark side of the force is not influencing you to make a Star Wars man cave here”. Yes, that’s it, a 90’s Star Wars THX cinema look. Just like what I remember back in those days. Oh, and note, my wife loves movies and home theaters as much as I do. That is how this was an easy sale to her. She has been a major supporter of this build and of me when I really needed it. I can remember many times when I was really down about the build. She would help re-motivate me by the things she would say. The thing is…………
she hates Star Wars!....
I know right?
Oh well, I still love her even though she is clearly Star Wars delusional.

My grandpa Wendell is 98 years old now and after much thought, I decided to honor him, in naming this theater. After all, if it were not for that experience with him, I might not have had this driving force all these years to build a home theater. All my life growing up, I took note of his love for music and the audio equipment associated with his love of music. He played many musical instruments, took me to real concerts, and always had music in his life. Unfortunately, in the last few years his hearing has degraded to the point were he is almost deaf. I think I remember him giving away some equipment and instruments saying “if I cannot hear it like it is supposed to sound then I don’t want to hear it all”. Also, saying “I just don’t get what I use to out of music” Maybe, but not likely, he will get a chance to see and hear this theater. I wonder if +10db above THX reference levels on my home theater could change that? It should also be noted that my father was a major factor in my love for audio/video equipment. My avatar picture here is me as a baby trying to get to my dad’s really cool looking and sounding reel-to-reel gear LOL. He always had music on as I was a kid and took me to movies I wanted to see. I guess this love has always been in my family and I hope to pass that down through the years to come.

I was not planning to post my build till it was more or less done. It is not, but only recently my grandpa was emitted into the hospital for medical reasons and it looks grim given his age. So I have decided to post as much as I can to keep busy and hopefully finish very soon. My home theater is modest compared to most builds here. We are very happy with how it turned out and I am sure their will be some upgrades down the road.

Our new cottage home is small and was built right before my wife and I got married. I knew what I wanted, to some degree, after thinking about it for many years. My wife wanted it almost as badly as I did but we were just getting married so I set a budget. Otherwise I would have spent way more than I wanted too. That budget was more or less met at a total of what it would cost for a new cheap car. Everything you see in the pictures, the amps, projectors, cables, equipment, supplies all the way down to the nails in the 2X4s was part of this budget. The entire build was done with my own hands (and if you look closely it shows because I am not a carpenter unlike my grandpa). I did get some help from my father, niece and brother in-law to drywall the ceiling. I cannot hold drywall in one hand and screw them in with the other. Trust me, I tried and failed. Believe it or not, everything I own was bought “used” over two years of searching patiently for the right price. The only equipment that will most likely be changed by the time I post this would be a 4k projector with lens memory (maybe Epson LS10000 as that would solve my need for dual projectors) and a DTS version of Dolby Atmos preamp. Whatever that will be.

Things I knew I had to have;

One, as part of many THX cinemas and studios, a raised floor, isolated from walls, for bass impact. I have read through a lot of forums here. Like everything in this world, there are pros and cons to this approach. Simply put, for me, all my home theaters and others had concert floors that just never gave me the same feeling that I have heard in THX cinemas. I like that “titanic rumbling through the floor into the couch feel” when something large like a robot is stomping around and you swear it is in the room with you. Once you go raised floor, you will never go back to concert floors. Unless you have 1.21 jigawatts with subs like Austin, aka popalock, Dude I salute you, and all the others that go down that road. I would have done that in my younger years.

Two, just for once I wanted my equipment to look nice on glass tables not hidden in racks. Just like the old high end audio stores that are going out of business lately. I always liked that look. But I did not want to see the equipment in front of me while I am watching movies like all of my other systems. Also, a must, I need easy access to all of the back of the equipment. I have broken cables and equipment trying to get to the back of them. I vowed never again. I needed a minimum of two to four feet wiggle room. I went with four.

Three, 2.35:1 screen with an ISO III anamorphic lens
No, did not like that

Four, 2.35:1 screen with NO anamorphic lens
ummmmm

Five, 2.35:1 screen with lens memory
no wait, maybe…..

Six, 2.35:1 screen with two projectors one for 16:9
or….

Seven, 2.35:1 screen with lens memory or native 2.35:1 god wouldn’t that be nice. Still waiting for that to happen for a reasonable price.

(It really did go down like that.)

Eight, A projector mounted to an I-beam so no amount of bass or someone walking on the floor above will shack the projector. This was a big problem that drove me nuts, but my solution worked. My projectors has not moved, EVER.

Nine, optical Starfield and rope light in ceiling trim. I never thought this was all that cool but I remember when I was in BestBuy and they had this concept set up in their demo theater room. My wife was soooo impressed with it. I said “yeah, I am going to do that just for you ” Man, if I only knew how much work that was going to be.

Ten, I wanted close to the acoustic golden ratio room. For me the closest I could do was 16’ wide, 20-24’ deep, and 8’ high. I wanted a “studio” backend room look with interesting looking first reflection panels in the front of the room. Panels needed to be practical but still cool looking. I also wanted something close to a real movie theater that has two ways to enter, i.e. being able to enter on both sides onto the main floor.

I first want to thank the following (wish my theater was as cool) as they inspired me here with their build,

SOWK
GPowers
Zavs
Moggie
Peter M

EQUIPMENT LIST as of 3/27/2015

Sources

THX Integra DHC 80.6 Preamp
Marantz 7702MKII
THX Integra DBS 50.2 Blu-ray player
THX iscan DVDO VP50 Pro

AV Electronics

THX 3x Bryston 9B SST’s
THX Bryston 5B SST
THX Bryston 3B SST
THX 3x Lexicon NT212
THX Klispch KA-1000 amp
THX 2x Rane THX-22 Equalizers

Projector

THX Epson 9700UB Pro (for 2.35:1)
THX Epson 8700UB (for 16:9) SOLD

Screen

THX 128” 2.40:1 OS screen

Speakers

THX 2x Klipsch KW-120 Subs
Seaton Submersive HP
THX 4x Atlantic Technology 453eU2 center
THX 2x sets of Atlantic Technology 451eU2 left/rights
THX 3x sets of Atlantic Technology 454eU2 dipole left/right rears
THX set of Atlantic Technology 371 U2 upgraded left/rights
THX set of Atlantic Technology 371 older left/rights
2x sets of Atlantic Technology 4.5 left/rights

Cables

THX 6x HDMI M1000 HDX Monster cables
THX 4x M1000i RCA Monster cables
4x Z300i RCA Monster cables
THX M1000i RCA Sub Monster cable
THX 17x Z200i XLR Balanced Monster cables
THX 15x custom M2.2s Monster Cable lock speaker wire
2x M2000 S-video Monster cable

Control

Still need a solution to that problem as it takes me 5mins to turn everything on/off

Power Conditioning

2x Panamax 500s only used for turning on and off projectors

Seating

2x Leather couches need to upgrade

The build,

Note: please forgive the wide variance in picture quality of these images. I took them using cheap cell phones. I wish I documented this better. It all came down to convince as I was more worried about building than what I was using to document the build. I will have a final post of much better images. The dig,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.1.jpg
Views:	4571
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	648545  
popalock and dRwOOD73 like this.

Last edited by gamest; 01-15-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Foundation layout and the planed area to be used. This did not leave much of the basement for anything else. I just could not come up with a better way to not have support beams in the path of the screen.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.2.jpg
Views:	4375
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	648177  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 01:27 PM.
post #3 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

The first set of walls go up. Though I changed my mind to leave the back room open so I had to take out all of the walls under the I-beam. The double door entrance and equipment racks will be in the back end of the room.

Front of room facing screen location,

Back of the room that had to be rebuild,

Back entrance area after rebuild,

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.2a_front.jpg
Views:	4466
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	648457   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.3_front.jpg
Views:	4422
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	648473   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.5_back.jpg
Views:	4400
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	648481   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.1_back_after.jpg
Views:	4371
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	649593  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 01:32 PM.

post #4 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

A lot of the back end of the room here were the door entrance is was not planed. I just kind of winged it to what I thought would look nice. The shelved area here was so the “back rear speakers” will not be on walls. I do not like the sound of in-walls or any speaker too close to a wall. Dipoles do well on walls but for all my other speakers, I wanted them to be able to breath even when I knew it would take away from that clean open space look. That is one of those pros/cons things. It’s nice to hide all the speakers but then they sound bad in the walls if not done right. So for me I wanted them to sound good and I always loved the way they look anyway. I might change my mind later and do a rebuild with an acoustical transparent screen and hide all the speakers.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	4364
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	648737   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	4363
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	648745   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	4314
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	648753   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	4322
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	648761   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	4337
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	648769  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 01:34 PM.
post #5 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

My raised floor was made out of standard 2X4s spaced by a little less than 2 feet. The floor rests on blocks I bought from home depot. The blocks were designed for finishing basement floors and have a very hard plastic bottom but some give. I cut them up and placed them at each cross joint. I want to minimize the loss of total floor to ceiling height (only 8feet). So with this design I only lost 4 inches.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	4338
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	648777   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	4326
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	648785   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	4341
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	648793   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	4326
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	648801   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	4311
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	648809  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 01:37 PM.
post #6 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

I used 1 inch blocks to wedge in the corners between the floor from the walls so when I was done I just took them out. Even after the 3/4” inch drywall goes in these areas, the floor never touches the walls and is completely decoupled. Sound proofing the home theater room was never part of my plan because my wife and I are the only ones in our house watching movies together. However, I did not want the bass to cause damage to very sentimental things in the living room above it. So this was the only sound proofing I did and work better than I thought. I thought about doing the “room in a room design” totally sound proofing but that was going to cost too much and take way to long. There is one spot in the floor that does creek a very little but I am very happy with how well it came out. I did not need 100 metric tons of sand or cat litter in the floor and later stage. Just insulation (not seen here) for reflection reasons and work just as well.

Looking down at wedged block,

Floor stops were equipment rack will start,

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	4317
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	648817   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	6140
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	648825   Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	4333
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	648833   Click image for larger version

Name:	18a.jpg
Views:	4269
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	648841  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 01:43 PM.
post #7 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Front stage area were screen will be. The side wall spaces I added could later be used for hiding speakers and again are decoupled from floor. But I mainly added these areas to braking up the front sound stage. Helping in minimizing standing waves issues of corners. Later I put Bass trap drums in them but again could later put speakers in them. 30 degree angles in the front and 45 degrees in the rear of room.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	4287
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	648849   Click image for larger version

Name:	19a.jpg
Views:	4271
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	648857  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:01 PM.
post #8 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Dropped ceiling around the room under where the rope lighting will go.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	4252
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	648897   Click image for larger version

Name:	22a.jpg
Views:	4260
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	648905   Click image for larger version

Name:	22b.jpg
Views:	4223
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	648913  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #9 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

I insulated the ceiling and just used some tape to hold in place as I planned to drywall it the next day. The next day I came down and this is what I found, most of it just fell out. One step forward two steps back.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	4216
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	648921   Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	4218
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	648929  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #10 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

I build two custom extended light assembly to illuminate the equipment racks.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26b.jpg
Views:	4215
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	648937   Click image for larger version

Name:	26c.jpg
Views:	4228
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	648945  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #11 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Our dog Jester checking out how things are going R.I.P

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	4177
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	648953  
dRwOOD73 likes this.

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #12 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 522
For some reason, I can't see the images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #13 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Preparing for trim work, measure once, twice, three times, I hate this kinda of work.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	4139
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	648961   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	4130
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	648969   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	4132
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	648977   Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	4141
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	648985   Click image for larger version

Name:	39.jpg
Views:	4123
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	648993  

Name:	39a.jpg
Views:	4118
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	649001  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #14 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hole left in ceiling for the one of two optical Starfield

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40.jpg
Views:	4125
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	649009  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #15 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

The only area that needed to have a smooth surface was this area were the rope lighting will reflect. So I spent a lot of time making sure I did a good mudding and then sanding job here. All for nothing because I think I will be changing this soon. The end result was not what I envisioned.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41.jpg
Views:	4114
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	649017  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #16 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Front stage and raised second row couch stage

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	4162
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	649025   Click image for larger version

Name:	44b.jpg
Views:	4107
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	649033  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #17 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Spent many long hours in this room. The circular table saw was my grandpas and I could not have done this build without it. Only wish it was closer to our house. Going back and forth was an added workout.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	44c.jpg
Views:	4699
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	649049  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #18 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Drywall finally done. My colors for the room was finalized at this point and are black, blue, and shades of this “charcoal dark empire gray” Yes that what color I am calling it. It’s my color and I can name it whatever I want, lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	45.jpg
Views:	4101
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	649073  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:09 PM.
post #19 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Carpet final here! Sounds soooo much better now.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46.jpg
Views:	4086
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	649081   Click image for larger version

Name:	47.jpg
Views:	4080
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	649097  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:10 PM.
post #20 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Lighting is so much better in person, I was very happy with it. Though maybe a little too bright.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	4084
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	649105   Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	4116
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	649113   Click image for larger version

Name:	53.jpg
Views:	4083
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	649121  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:12 PM.
post #21 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Here is what I decided to make my starfield out of. I just bought some standard 1inch thick 4X8 sheets of foam board. They have a nice aluminized back that handled the glue for the black felt very well. Poked holes (no need to drill like wood much easier to work with) in all the locations were the fiber optical cables go through. Pulled the cables through random spots and glued the ends. It’s funny how describing this process it sounds so simple and easy, and is. But doing it for 1600 stars, ahhhhhhhh took days! I will not do that again. My fingers ache just looking at the pictures. I can’t believe I even considered doing my Northern hemisphere sky line accurately. That would have taken weeks.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	54.jpg
Views:	4564
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	649129   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	4569
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	649137   Click image for larger version

Name:	56.jpg
Views:	4553
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	649153   Click image for larger version

Name:	58.jpg
Views:	4544
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	649185  
mtbdudex likes this.

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:13 PM.
post #22 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Each panel then was simple screwed into ceiling one at a time. The seams between each panel is more defined than I thought it would be. But when the lights go out you cannot see them.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60.jpg
Views:	3989
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	649161   Click image for larger version

Name:	62.jpg
Views:	3969
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	649169   Click image for larger version

Name:	64.jpg
Views:	3960
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	649177  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:14 PM.
post #23 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

After they were all up I needed to cut the excess parts off. It was a really cool effect walking around the room with these things hanging everywhere. Whoooooo, stars floating in space, well like real stars in real 3d space.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66.jpg
Views:	4053
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	649193  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:14 PM.
post #24 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

More or less finished door. That still needs some work and I do not recommend building your own doors as it is very hard to get right.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68.jpg
Views:	3973
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	649201  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:16 PM.
post #25 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

I designed my own acoustic reflections panels but are more for looks. They seemed to have done the job well enough. They were painted and then acoustic foam panels go into them later.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	69.jpg
Views:	3970
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	649209  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:17 PM.
post #26 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post

You can't edit away the attachment after you do it.

The pics show for you from your cache but no one else.

You've got a lot of editing to do ... Going to have to reattach them again. No one can see anything.
post #27 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

A lot was done at this point that I forgot to take pictures or had lost them. Custom built then painted first reflection acoustic panel slots. They were mounted to the walls and have a rubber backing so they do not rattle. Screen mounted, back room acoustic reflection trim installed and Six pillar, three on each side.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03960.jpg
Views:	3986
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	649217   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03966.jpg
Views:	3969
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	649225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03967.jpg
Views:	3936
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	649233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03970.jpg
Views:	3933
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	649241  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.
post #28 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Projector extension mount from I-beam along with line condition mount for turning ON or OFF each projector.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03967.jpg
Views:	3924
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	649249   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03979.jpg
Views:	3940
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	649257  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #29 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

No picture seems to capture how many stars there are here. Because some are small, some are big, some bright, some dim and never all on at once. They twinkle on and off. It really is something that needs to be seen in person.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03981.jpg
Views:	3897
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	649265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03982.jpg
Views:	3898
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	649273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03983.jpg
Views:	3878
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	649281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03984.jpg
Views:	3874
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	649289  
IAHphotog likes this.

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #30 of 232 Old 04-05-2015, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Added a second pole (both carpeted) to balance out the random one in the side of this area. I also ran cables through it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03985.jpg
Views:	3903
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	649297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03986.jpg
Views:	3891
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	649305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03987.jpg
Views:	3896
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	649313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03988.jpg
Views:	3879
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	649321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03989.jpg
Views:	4196
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	649329  

Name:	DSC03990.jpg
Views:	3889
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	649337  

Last edited by gamest; 04-06-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page