Is it even worth insulating a ceiling if you have an open stairway? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old Today, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Is it even worth insulating a ceiling if you have an open stairway?

I'm building a new home and I have the chance to insulate the ceiling joists below my 3rd floor media room with R19 (DIY). However, there is an open U-shaped stair case that goes from the 3rd to the 2nd floor with no door. Is it worth insulating the 2nd floor ceiling or is it pointless since so much noise will come down the stairway? I realize most will say just do it because its cheap, but with 2 little kids my time is limited these days. Thanks for any input or opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Today, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I guess I could also add a layer of subfloor or MLV, but that would be even more work and $$$.
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Well my room is not as open as yours, but about a year ago I went from 3" of attic insulation to about 2'. I did this for heating and cooling reasons, but an unexpected side effect was better sound in my theater. Insulation is cheap and if you blow it in doesn't take much time. How much do you have up there now?

I caved!
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I just re-read your post. Are you trying to contain the sound from leaving that floor? If that's the case insulation will probably have a very low effect, but may help a little.

I caved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction