Theater room advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking Theater room advice

first of all I want to thank everyone on this forum, I have learned a whole lot about home theater. I'm working on a current budget home theater room. We finsihed the basement with the plans of putting in a theater room, and now the room seems to be a reality. We are trying to do it fairly inexpensive. What we currently have:

room:
16'x17x with 9 foot ceilings (actually 4 inches shy of 9 feet) There is a false wall in the back with about 1.5 to 2 feet of space. it is currently wired for 7.2 surround sound. It is painted black ceiling/trim and dark red walls. no windows fully light controlled.

Projector: Benq w1070 (there was a great deal on amazon and read it was a very good projector for the money so picked it up cheap)

Seating: found 8 used theater seats on a good deal: back row 16.5 feet. front row 11-12 feet (does this sound resonable?)

Speakers: I have some spare speakers I plan on using for right now (definately not the best but I figure I can upgrade these later since I already have them and I'm trying to do it on a budget) powered by a spare sony receiver.

What I need advice on is the screen. I'm planning on building my own frame and getting some material to cover it. I would like an acoustically transparent screen. I would like to go 140 inches. my mount is 6 inches from the ceiling so with the projector around 12 feet from the wall I will be able to project the image. This will give me 140 inches as close as possible for brightness.

with a 140 inch screen it will give me about 10 inches from the ceiling (Projector limitation) and about 20 inches to the floor, do I need more room on the top and bottom than this?

also for the front row will this be too big? I figure I can always make a bigger screen smaller, but can't make too small of a screen bigger, any thought on the size of the screen?

The material I'm looking at is the seymour XD (I figure if I'm going to build a screen I may as well do this part right) I compared a couple of other screen materials and this one seemed to look the best, also in a light controlled enviornment it didn't look like the blacks suffered too much (although In a lighted enviornment the blacks weren't that good) is my seating distance adequate for this screen type (seeing weave pattern)

thanks for all of your help. We have renters in the basement that are planning on leaving within the month and I want everything ready so I can get my room setup. I'm way excited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminac View Post
What I need advice on is the screen. I'm planning on building my own frame and getting some material to cover it. I would like an acoustically transparent screen. I would like to go 140 inches.
We all start this way... Take a step back and hold off on your screen size selection. Base your screen size and placement on your seating distance and plan. 140", especially if you're going to consume some room at the front for an AT screen and existing speakers, IMO is too big at <11' from the front row. It's best to mock up the setup using the projector and a paper or sheet screen first to get it "right" for your preferences and room.

Quote:
with a 140 inch screen it will give me about 10 inches from the ceiling (Projector limitation) and about 20 inches to the floor, do I need more room on the top and bottom than this?
Check your viewing angles from your second row, you need to make sure they can see all four corners of the screen. 20" from the floor may cause issues there.

Quote:
also for the front row will this be too big? I figure I can always make a bigger screen smaller, but can't make too small of a screen bigger, any thought on the size of the screen?
See above.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 10:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
140 wide? diagonal? 16:9 or 2.35?, flour or corn?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
140 wide? diagonal? 16:9 or 2.35?, flour or corn?
it will be 16:9 since I'm doing it on a budget and can't afford a fancy lense, and don't really get anything resolution wise by going to 2.35. I was thinking 140" diagonal so 122" wide.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

are those bolt down seats or recliners?

On the screen shine your projector on a blank wall and experiment at that size and viewing distances.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Welcome to the forum!

We all start this way... Take a step back and hold off on your screen size selection. Base your screen size and placement on your seating distance and plan. 140", especially if you're going to consume some room at the front for an AT screen and existing speakers, IMO is too big at <11' from the front row. It's best to mock up the setup using the projector and a paper or sheet screen first to get it "right" for your preferences and room.

Check your viewing angles from your second row, you need to make sure they can see all four corners of the screen. 20" from the floor may cause issues there.

See above.

Hope that helps,

Jeff
The room is 16' x 17' with the false wall already built. When we framed in the basement there were some pipes there and knowing it would be a theater we figured we would just build a false wall for speakers right off the bat, so the AT screen and speakers won't be taking up any of that room.

Thanks all for the sound advice. I think waiting to make sure I get it right is probably the right call. I'm currently renting out my basement (their bedroom is my future theater room) and I was wanting to get everything in place to have my theater room when they move out (which is supposed to be in about a month).

I think my new plan is once they move out mount the projector at 12' from the screen. This will give me a range of between 143" and 111" according to projectorcentral's calcualtor. My screen shouldn't fall outside of these parameters. I'll put up a sheet or 2 for the larger screen size (since the walls are too dark). and play around with things. This will also let me make sure I'll have enough room when I build my riser for the back row to make sure it is the correct size/height as well. Then when I build my screen just make sure I can adjust it left or right and still make it level.

Anything else I need to consider that I haven't taken into account?

FYI the seats are recliners I got them used and so I need to do a little work on a couple of them so that should keep me bust for a while anyway.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Recliners require 6 1/2 ft seat back to seat back. you were planning 4 1/2 to 5 1/2. Fine if you don't want to raise the foot rests.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Recliners require 6 1/2 ft seat back to seat back. you were planning 4 1/2 to 5 1/2. Fine if you don't want to raise the foot rests.

Thanks. I did some crude measurements in my garage, so they are probably off.that is another good reason for patience. So I can set everything up and make sure everything is as I expect.

Also and I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but what do you think about the Seymour xd material. I have a sample of that and the uf material. I liked the brightness of the xd anything I need to be concerned about or look at some thing else?
post #9 of 10 Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by laminac View Post
Also and I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but what do you think about the Seymour xd material. I have a sample of that and the uf material. I liked the brightness of the xd anything I need to be concerned about or look at some thing else?
See the "DIY Screens" forum for a whole bunch of info!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #10 of 10 Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I've used Falcon screens and I know he sells his fabric similar to the Semour XD to the DIY crowd. Ask for a sample. Seymour is a good fabric, I like the Falcon just a bit more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page