AVS Forum banner

Home Theatre Design Software

8K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  SierraMikeBravo 
#1 ·
What is the most recommended software to help design and draw your plans if your are going contstruct your Home Theatre in a basement that is not finished.

Thanks

#2 ·
That would depend on the level of design help you expect to get from the software. A lot of people on here use Sketchup. It's a nice free 3D drawing program that is pretty easy to learn. It can give you a good visualization of what your room can look like. However, it won't give you theater layouts, suggestions, etc. You have to come up with those on your own (or through help from the wonderful people on this site :D).

If you are looking for help designing your space, post some info here and ask for help. Lots of creative people on here who love to help out.

#5 ·
Sketchup is more powerful, but I found SweetHome 3D (some images I made are in my build thread - not the first couple, those were from some web program) to be easier to learn and still very useful. It depends if you want the best possible quality and how much time you want to spend learning.

#7 ·
Sketchup for sure. Intimidating at first , but just follow through the tutorials given. Keep at it and its easy as pie. For personal planning of your room buy a blank paged sketch book. Rough in your ideas in pencil across several pages then transpose onto Sketchup.

#8 ·
p.s. If you have access to a copier, you can print off ideas you see on other build pics. e.g. Stage/ riser construction...finished room ideas. I have 3 three ring binders armed and ready with ideas for my future build. Pick and choose from the best and plan your final Sketchup render.

#9 ·
For 3D models I've used both Blender and Sketchup. I'm not very good at either, but I found Blender to give me much better results, but with a much higher demand of time (not only to learn, but to design and build the models). 10 years ago, for my first theater, I used Blender for all the 3D modeling, and I got some really nice renders that helped my wife envision the end goal. This time I didn't bother to spend nearly as much time doing that...but not because it wasn't helpful...probably mostly because this time around we just didn't need it as much.

For the dimensions and real planning, though, I simply used Visio. It is very precise (or can be if you're careful) and you can use layers effectively to be able to simplify the drawings or add more complexity (or just narrow it down to electrical only, for example). I even used versions of my Visio drawings to submit to the city for my permits. Worked like a champ. I do top down drawings as well as side drawings to help me position columns, risers, electrical, speakers, etc., and I've got dimensions all over the place on these Visio drawings.

#14 ·
I started working in Excel for the layout, then moved to Sketchup after seeing everyone on here using it. Then I decided to buy Home Designer Suite to see how that worked. I bought Home Designer Suite thinking that it would help with things like HVAC and electrical planning, but it wasn't what I expected. There are a few things in there I like compared to Sketchup, but I think Sketchup is more flexible. Sketchup is free vs about $100 for HDS so I think Sketchup is probably a good option to work with. Plus, there are a lot of pre-built elements you can pull in to your design from places like https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/index.html

#16 ·
Draw it on a napkin or paper towel with a pencil...

Plan are overated IMO, unless you are getting professional ones that include layout and room treatment.

Otherwise you only goal in doing plans is to convey your intention to the forum and get a double check or feedback- they don't have to be perfect. Just reasonably accurate and convey your build intention.

You can spend more time trying to draw 3D plans than it takes to frame a room. Seriously. I see people do that all the time.

DO > PLAN.

Spend time learning about acoustical treatment and sound proofing- instead of learning about 3D software.

#17 ·
Interesting take, @Mfusick. My first theater 10 years ago was planned for 2.5 years, and I had drawings and 3D models that were pretty detailed. This time around I'm taking the opposite approach. I'll let you know which one is better after I finish. :)

Actually, I think it really depends on the situation. The models/plans can help build confidence, help convey to significant others to get approvals/funding, or even work through solutions to problems before making mistakes. On the other hand, analysis paralysis is a real thing...and can be avoided by just jumping in. I think my 10 years of experience doing projects (including my first theater) gave me enough confidence to jump in to this one with a less defined (or at least recorded) plan. In fact, though, I might have more of a plan this time than I did last time...but my bit more experience allowed me to move forward quicker without stressing over every detail or documentation of the plan. The thing that is helping me most this time are checklists.

Different situations may require different approaches, I think.

#18 ·
Even if you have a basic room drafted up on Sketchup/ or dirty finger nail drawing on a napkin, it helps if you have access to a 11X17 copier or even a plotter for D size drawings. Print them out and thumbtack your ideas onto your stud walls. Its quick and easy reference. You dont want a laptop in your room while sawdust is flying around. A combination of new school software and old school pencil and paper will get you going. Basic enlarged drawings can show your dimensions for your stage wall/ one for riser/ one for west wall/ east wall/ where your acoustic treatments are going. Stick em on the wall to help visualize your future space. Scribble and make changes.

#22 ·
Without a plan to some degree a noob (like me) ends up hap hazardly throwing up studs, drywall, etc. not fully realizing the cause and effect of the "in the moment" decisions
Did I go overboard in the planning and Sketchup design stage..... oh YES for sure.... but I also identified some problem areas that I'm sure would have buggered me in the long run and others that I still need to resolve
My plan is still not perfect and is open to suggestions and constructive criticism
Having to roll with the punches at the build stage is a certainty with any project and I hope none of the punches I face are below the belt

#23 ·
Like what? Stud spacing is standard, as is the install of drywall.

It's a lot more important to make a list of stuff you need to do before you insulate and drywall. Like a list of the low voltage wires, zones for lighting, electrical, hvac... etc.. None of that really shows well on a fancy 3D model.

All you need is a simple 2D drawing- showing the screen size, viewing distance, layout of chairs- dimensions of room- locations of speakers and such. Problems pop out just as good as if you had a 3D model of the space. Even the pro plans don't including a ton of 3D modeling- they are mostly 2D drawing and layouts.

If you know how to use and draw 3D then it's a great tool to use. But I am not sure the effort that is required to master it is worth it if you don't already know how to draw in 3D. I put some decent time into sketchup- and I am still very noob. I use it for wood working projects and stuff- but it's not really great tool for a theater for me. The time it takes for someone who is not proficient at it to do a proper drawing and learn/make mistakes is more time than it takes to do many theater tasks.

Seeing fancy 3D modeling in threads is great, and I can see the attraction someone might want that too. Helps you get excited for the build and show off to others what you want to build- but I think the time and resource is better spent understanding small room acoustics, room treatments, and basic construction techniques. Get those down first before you waste your time- or all the modeling in the world won't save you.

Your choice is either learn that- first. Or hire a pro that knows it to do your plans. Otherwise you'll get a big fat load of fail, but it might look pretty in the modeling. I'm a reality kind of guy.

I can honestly say without hesitation that I see far more e-peen racing 3D models around here than I do total DIY theaters that get the layout and acoustic treatments perfect. I'm assuming someone has a limited amount of time they are willing to invest into the entire project, so in a lot of ways you choose what areas to spend your efforts. Spend it wise.

#24 ·
A couple of the areas where with rack and column design (details)
Totally agree with what you are saying, check list are very important
Napkin sketches take me back to the days with my Grandpa, designing the next cool thing to build in his metal shop.:)
Yes Setchup absolutely sucks for wiring
For me personally I didn't find that the leap from doing a 2D to 3D in Setchup to be that crazy but I also do drafting and design at work
I will be the first to admit that acoustics and treatments are an area that I absolutely need to get my head wrapped around.......

On another note: Thanks for the article on toeing in speakers, it is a great read and really opened my eyes!

#25 ·
yeah if you can pull it off (3D rendering) then by all means use it. It's just another (better) tool. Not doing so would be like having an impact driver and trying to screw in screws with a cordless drill (or a hand screw driver!). Use the best tool you have available. But if you have a cordless drill and it drives in your screws well enough, you might not need to go buy an impact driver just to get the job done. That's kind of my angle.

Most of the pro layout designs I've seen are 2D. 3D looks cool from the eye candy aspect, and that can be fun for everyone, but it's not really getting you a better theater IMO. If you can't draw in 3D you are better off spending your time on other stuff that is more important and just buying some graph paper and a pencil and ruler.

As for the article... I didn't write it :p I acquired it from a thread or someone email (I forgot exactly) and it has been linked around here before a few times. I can't take too much credit there. I assume grangroth pulled it out of my dropbox ? I have not linked it in quite some time but he did email asking if he could.

I should throw some more stuff in there for him. I have tons of stuff.

If you want an Mfusick approved reading on room treatments and acoustics:

Master Handbook Of Acoustics Sixth-Edition

and

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms by Floyd Toole.

And watch the youtube videos by Jeff Merkel of Merkel Acoustics:

Here is a few:

A good primer for the books.

You'll learn more doing this than with years of skimming forum threads.

#26 ·
I agree wholeheartedly with everything Mfusick has said. Plans change. 5.1 or 7.2? Atmos? Screen size, fixed, AT? Projector throw distance? These will probably change as you go along.

At best, if your wife can't picture what you're trying to do, a Sketchup-type design might help. Fortunately, the LOGANESS agreed that it was MY basement and I could do what I wanted as long as she got some storage space out of it. How many threads have we seen over the years about the arguments over a black ceiling? LOGANESS was NOT convinced until she actually saw it. It wasn't until drywall went up that she REALLY saw what I was trying to do (and where her storage would be!).

Anyway, I've probably related this a couple of times over the years (this actually happened twice in two different offices)....

The company needed to find space for a few more desks. The facilities people come in, measure the room and (already with two desks, chairs and filing cabinets) come up with a drawing that shows, "OH yeah, we can fit another desk, chair and filing cabinet in here!" So we come in Monday morning after they redo the office and the first thing that happens when you walk in the door is you hit your thigh on the corner of the desk. And two people can't open their desk drawers at the same time because they bump in to each other. And if ONE desk drawer is open, one of the people can't get out of the room. But the furniture fit according to the drawing.

REAL life 3D is different than CAD 3D.

Sketch out your thoughts and you'll get lots of great advice here.

Good luck!

#31 ·
That is true. I was just commenting on the quoted statement. It's the engineer vs. the guys doing the actual building friction. Seen this when I worked for an engineering firm as well. Anyway...to keep on track...I think TurboCAD makes a nice consumer version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.