Recessed lighting, blown insulation? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 8 Old Today, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recessed lighting, blown insulation?

Not specifically a theatre build question but related to my basement project and heck, can't think of another forum with a brighter membership. Before I finish off the ceiling to my theatre I'm wanting to deal with sound issues in the adjacent room. The joists are accessible from one end, the remainder of the ceiling is finished. I realize that I will never achieve amazing sound isolation without tearing down the ceiling but I would like to, at the very least, insulate it. My plan is to blow insulation in from the open end. Not a challenge accept for the 3 pot lights. I do not know if they are insulation proof cans so I'd like to assume the worst in that they are not. Question is, if I replace the traditional incandescent lights with LED to keep the heat down will I be fine in blowing insulation around the cans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Today, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post
I do not know if they are insulation proof cans so I'd like to assume the worst in that they are not. Question is, if I replace the traditional incandescent lights with LED to keep the heat down will I be fine in blowing insulation around the cans?
Regardless of LED or not, you should only do that with "IC" rated (In-Contact with insulation) fixtures. If you can see the fixture or get a photo of it in the ceiling, it's pretty obvious if it's an IC or non-IC model...

There are retro-fit ("old work") cans in both IC and non-IC, so choose carefully if you want to upgrade/replace them.

PS - If the existing lights were installed by a builder, very likely those will be non-IC, as they're like $2 cheaper!

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Last edited by jautor; Today at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Look inside the cans from inside the room. Some brands have a sticker to identify them as IC rated. Otherwise they should have a sticker on the attic side if u have access.

Dont just put led lights in and cover them without knowing. What happens if the next guy moves in and wants traditional bulbs?
post #4 of 8 Old Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
What happens if the next guy moves in and wants traditional bulbs?
Those probably won't be available by then.
post #5 of 8 Old Today, 12:45 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 952
you could put warning stickers inside the cans, but I would replace them before you put in the insulation.
post #6 of 8 Old Today, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Those probably won't be available by then.
Interestingly enough, I was in the Dollar Store last week and found a whole cache of 100w incandescents, from a major manufacturer in what appeared to be new packaging, which I thought were not allowed to be made any longer.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Appreciate the quick replies everyone. Great point about the next potential owner throwing in traditional bulbs. I'll pull one of the fixtures and take a peek. The lights are not in the attic, they are in the basement ceiling so the best I'll be able to do is look from underneath. I'll report back soon.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 300
If u can post pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page