Gear by spec'd by integrator - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gear by spec'd by integrator

Just working through the first quotes from the custom integrator for our upcoming home build. It will include home automation, theatre, audio/video distribution, etc.

One thing I've noticed are some brand names that I've never really heard of. Not sure if it's my lack of experience or he's working to sell me the stuff he makes the most margin on. A few items stuck out:

- Integra THX receiver ($1200)
- Integra Bluray player ($500)

Both of the above seemed steep for AV receiver and Bluray... am I missing something? I see that they are both rack mountable, which has obvious benefit. Seems like I should be able to get a rock solid receiver and Bluray player for just over $1k.

- Sonance in wall speakers throughout the home and in the theatre. From what I've read there are much better speaker options out there for the theatre. Yes, I know in wall isn't the best quality, but we're limited on space. Seems like Triad is a much better in wall option, especially for the theatre. I've brought this up twice and the sales guy swears by Sonance quality.

Finally, I was dead set on Control4, but he's an Elan dealer. After a bunch of research, I've gotten comfortable with Elan. Looks like a solid platform and good interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiltsy View Post
One thing I've noticed are some brand names that I've never really heard of. Not sure if it's my lack of experience or he's working to sell me the stuff he makes the most margin on. A few items stuck out:

- Integra THX receiver ($1200)
- Integra Bluray player ($500)
Integra is the high end branch of Onkyo. Think "Lexus" vs. "Toyota", or thereabouts. Integra products are not simple re-brandings, but certainly share common pieces with their Onkyo siblings...

Quote:
Both of the above seemed steep for AV receiver and Bluray... am I missing something? I see that they are both rack mountable, which has obvious benefit. Seems like I should be able to get a rock solid receiver and Bluray player for just over $1k.
Dealers are going to sell what they offer, and they will tend not to carry the product lines widely available in Best Buy / Amazon for all the usual reasons. But the important reason is that they know them, and can get them to integrate well with whatever control system you'll be using...

The Integra AVRs are nice, but for the price, though, I'd get an Oppo BD player rather than the Integra. But whether or not the dealer can/will support that is a completely different question.

Quote:
Finally, I was dead set on Control4, but he's an Elan dealer. After a bunch of research, I've gotten comfortable with Elan. Looks like a solid platform and good interface.
The support and capabilities of a good dealer/installer is more important than the underlying hardware usually. A good installer can make any of these systems do the same tricks. You're paying for their experience and support - you don't want them to use gear they're not comfortable with...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jeff.... spending a LOAD of money on this stuff, and thought it may be worth saving a few grand here and there if possible. Can't wait to get this stuff up and running!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Did you receive a plan by the integrator? If so, post it. That way we can what you are trying to do, and if said equipment will be best for you.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Integra is the high end branch of Onkyo. Think "Lexus" vs. "Toyota", or thereabouts. Integra products are not simple re-brandings, but certainly share common pieces with their Onkyo siblings...

Dealers are going to sell what they offer, and they will tend not to carry the product lines widely available in Best Buy / Amazon for all the usual reasons. But the important reason is that they know them, and can get them to integrate well with whatever control system you'll be using...

The Integra AVRs are nice, but for the price, though, I'd get an Oppo BD player rather than the Integra. But whether or not the dealer can/will support that is a completely different question.

The support and capabilities of a good dealer/installer is more important than the underlying hardware usually. A good installer can make any of these systems do the same tricks. You're paying for their experience and support - you don't want them to use gear they're not comfortable with...

Jeff
I agree. And Oppo BR players have rack ears available.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiltsy View Post
Thanks Jeff.... spending a LOAD of money on this stuff, and thought it may be worth saving a few grand here and there if possible. Can't wait to get this stuff up and running!
Not saving, re-allocating to additional gear.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 1538
The gear seems reasonable quality. integra can be good stuff.

The plan and how it's executed is more important that the gear.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 70
All good points. As far as the Bly-Ray player option, I would prefer an Oppo as well but, like Jeff said, it's not gonna save you any money since it's a $500 piece of gear as well. The other point Jeff is that the integrator knows their products well or at least they should so haggling with them over a piece of equipment that costs the same and won't provide a largely noticeable difference in picture and sound quality doesn't seem worth the effort IMHO. Plus they may charge a custom programming fee since they aren't selling you the gear. And I would definitely follow Shaun's advice and see if you can put some plans up for us to look at.

Also, if you're going with in walls, make sure the speakers have backer boxes or ask the builder to build some for you. I do think Triad's in walls are fully enclosed though so I think you're on the right path there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction